E-mail setup in outlook 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

E-mail setup in outlook 2016

Good Morning,

For the life of me I can get my rogers e-mail setup and re-running in my Outlook 2016 on my desktop.

I have used the following settings:

Add an Account using IMAP

1. Click File.
  2. Click Add Account.
  3. If you’re asked for more details than just your email address, make sure Outlook 2016 has been updated to the latest available service pack.
  4. Select Advanced Options.
  5. Check the box that reads “Let me set up my account manually.”
  6. Select Connect.
  7. Select POP or IMAP.
  8. If the IMAP Account Setting window appears, enter the following information:
    • Incoming mail server: imap.mail.yahoo.com or imap.nl.rogers.com
    • Port: 993
    • Encryption method: SSL/TLS
    • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.com or smtp.nl.rogers.com
    • Port: 465
    • Encryption method: SSL/TLS
  9. Enter your password.
  10. Select Close.
  11. Select Finish.
  12. Send a test email to ensure your account is up and running. If it doesn’t work, try the above steps. 

I have also tried Account type : POP3
Incoming Mail server : pop.broadband.rogers.com

When it test the account it fails. "Log into incoming mail server (IMAP): The server rejected your login".

I have reset the password. I can log in to web mail, I have even added this account to an android e-mail client and it works perfectly. 

I have tried this on both my desktop and my laptop to no avail.

Thnx

Bill

**Labels Added**

Highlighted

Re: E-mail setup in outlook 2016

Hello, @Biollw.

Thank you for your detailed post. I appreciate the troubleshooting you have done to isolate the issue, are you using your regular email password? An App Password is required to access the email through the Outlook email client. 

Please check the support article to create the App Password and complete the email setup on your Outlook 2016 client. 

Let us know the outcome. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted

Added notes: have been able to add the e-mail to an android e-mail client and also to Thunderbird e-mail client with no problem. Go figure.

Highlighted

Thanks worked on my desktop great. But now I want to add the same account to my outlook on my laptop and it won't, using same generated password.

Do I need to generate a new one?  Are these a one time password ? So what's the connection to my other password?

Do these generated passwords stay or can they be removed once I have done this?

Never seen this before.

Thnx

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The App PW issue has been around for 2.5 years, however, some people have only recently been affected. Here's a post on the topic with links:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Email-address-isn-t-recognized/m-p/449498#M57566

I believe you'll need a "new" App PW for your Laptop - it's been over two years since I did it.

Highlighted

Yes added new one and added to laptop.

Thnx

Bill