Dynamic DNS (ddns)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Dynamic DNS (ddns)

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect.

Then that's the approach I'll take.  Basically make the SMC a simple D3 modem only.

Thx again

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

What are the DNS setting for Rogers .

Steven C Adams

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are using the rogers gateway, as a gateway, there is nothing you need to do if you are getting an address automaticaly (via DHCP).
If you are using the gateway, but using a static address.. and want to just use the default rogers ones, you can just enter in the gateway's address (192.168.0.1 or whatever it may be)

If you are in bridged mode, using the gateway as just a modem.. and your own router.. if it is NOT pulling it automatically.. you can enter the following.

Alternatively... you can also use a DIFFERENT DNS, and not the rogers ones, if you so chose.
Say like google

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The Cisco DPC3825 has a dynamic DNS client (Setup:DDNS) and, unlike the Hitron CGN2, the port forwarding works.

- mike

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

I have searched the forums for a resolution with no straight answer on my issue.

My Rogers Internet service was activated few weeks ago with Hitron CGN3 modem installed. From the modem's control panel > Basic > DDNS, I tried to enter both my DynDNS and no-ip account details with no luck to get it synched!

Before Rogers I was with Bell Fibe, honestly their modems and interfaces are much better, and I never had an issue similar to this.

I talked to Rogers support with no luck, called the TechExpert team with no luck as they weren't ready to help on this issue!! Their reponse was: "You can use another mode/router"! Non sense.

Would you advise?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While the entry is there.. i dont think its actually activated.. it doesnt comunicate.  It hasnt for me either.

I usually just use the PC based updater app running on my server PC which is on all the time...

(my problem is, that i am on FREE DDNS on no-ip.. which requires monthly 'update' to make sure its active...
and the rogers IP doesnt change monthly... so the updater doesnt always UPDATE anything.. and have to do it via the webpage)

This is the first rogers gateway i have seen, which actually even had the entry.

I am impressed that bell's has it.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Bell have it with no issue at all ...

It is strange the Hitron routers are retarded!! even the control panel design is like 1999 web page and loads slow after moving between few screens!

Surprisingly, when you talk to Rogers' support they tell its the best they have!!!

Back to the issue,

I will stick with DynDNS and I am on paid account with them. Again, having an updater is not a resolution, its a work around.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well no. its just an other means.
Really, that is all the ROUTER is doing, the same thing... it goes and talks to dyndns and updates the IP.

Unfortunately, unless rogers does a fix or something to the router.. there is no way to 'fix' this.

You'll have to use another method.
Many people use a 3rd party router, as they are better than ANY (incluing bell's) routers can offer PERIOD range and feature wise, which often have the feature.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am using the no-ip as well but the remote deskop does not work for me. I think it  has something to do with the firewall. Do you have to change your firewall settings in order to get the remote desktop working? Any tips would help.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For RDP to work.. i beleive you have to port forward 3389 to the specific internal IP.