Dynamic DNS (ddns)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Dynamic DNS (ddns)

Does Rogers offier any home internet modems/router that support dynamic DNS?  I've just looked through all the current modems since they offered to upgrade my currnet SFA modem only to a new one with intergrated Router/WiFi - but NONE of the ones I reviewed support Dynamic DNS.

This means I cannot log into my home network from work, cottage, anywhere unless I purchase a static IP address which is a real waste of additional cash due to limited functionality that almost any router supports today.

Anyways, just wondering if I missed something.

Thx

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Dynamic DNS (ddns)

None of the built in gateway modems have a dynamic DNS entry spot in them.

That doesnt necessarily mean you have to purchase a STATIC IP.
There are a few other options.

A ) You could put the modem in BRIDGED mode..which effectively turns it into a modem only (not modem/gateway), and continue to use a 3rd party router, which supports a dynamic DNS entry.

B ) many of the dynamic DNS services like dyndns and no-ip, offer SOFTWARE based solutions... that install on one of the PCs running at your location.  Any time they notice an IP change, they will update your record on their server, pointing it to the new IP address.  (i use no-ip and the software sits on my server which is always on).

C ) The rogers IP address.. usually only changes 1-2 times a year tops.. it should stay fairly consistant most of the time.. without a need necessarily for a dynamic DNS service... but yes there is a convienience to having it.

( D ) I leave this one seperate.. as i dont know WHAT you are connecting to, etc internally.  If its just more for a remote desktop type session to a home PC.. you can use a service like logmein, for free, and no worries of having to remember anything.  But that doesnt help if its for other things, servers, etc.)

I Plan to Stick Around

Use a dynamic DNS provider - like no-ip - it is a free service for what you want to do and would work fine for you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I believe what he was talking about was like I described above.
Many 3rd party routers have an entry are that you can enter in a dyndns or similar account info and it will update it for you on their servers auto if there is a change on the router.

If they have a router already with it (as what it sounds like, since it seems like they had a modem only before, would be to put in bridge mode.

I'm Here A Lot

GdKitty,

You certainly got the idea perfectly.

Placing the hub in bridge mode sounds perfect, however I have found on the MF28B rockethub (that I use at my cottage), that bridge mode did not work as it should have and I had to return to normal gateway operation to maintain a reliable 4G/LTE connection.  Making DynDns work in my cottage situation was a real challenge, but I found a third party WiFi router that I could schedule for registering the IP with DynDns.  However, that was a 1 time find and that wifi router is no longer available.

So my question is have you actually tried bridge mode on a Roger's Cable DOCIS cable router?

As for your other good suggestions my comments are:

B) ,If it was a web server I was accessing, then a software based solution would be fine, however it's not so having a PC on all the time (or scheduled) seems a real waste for a standard feature that is missing.

C) Risky approach and I'm sure Cousin Murphy would change the IP address just as I really needed to access something.

D) It's to access my power/heating/webcam devices - so that approach does not help me.  As an aside, my fav tool for RDP is TeamViewer which works perfectly though NAT and free for Private use.

It just seems a real waste that Rogers does not OEM modems/routers with this feature since it's standard in most consumer modems/routers.

Cheers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Myself, and MANY others here, have done bridged mode, and MANY prefer it... due to the poor performance of the rogers gateways.. It works fine, if not BETTER in most cases.

It is VERY stable and EASY compared to with the rockethubs.

Unfortunately, rogers really has no control over what is/isnt in the gateway either.. its all what comes from the manufacturer.  Seems like NONE of the gateway providers thing that its necessary Smiley Tongue

I'm Here A Lot

That is great news then and I will certainly give it try.  Like others, I'm sure my WiFi router works better than anything Rogers would OEM, so bridging it to the rogers router/DOCIS modem makes a ton of sense.

And although these DOCSIS modems come from the manufacturer, we just need someone in Roger's procurement to fully specify what they need in the DOCSIS 3.0 modem/router product and then life would be great.

I wonder if I purchased my own DOCSIS modem online would Roger's allow me to use it so I could avoid that huge rental fee.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes and no, kinda.
Rogers will only prevision the gateways that they offer for rental. You can't just get any D3.
(This is something many are asking for)

So you could buy one of the gateways to bridge. You can buy new from Rogers, or could buy used.

I'm Here A Lot

To bad they don't offer a D3 modem only, which many customers I'm sure would prefer and would be cheaper as well.

So the cheaper modem SMC D3GN does not seem to support bridge mode and the config file is downloaded from Rogers.  Let me know if I missed something.

It appears the $8/month modem Hitron CGN2 does support bridge mode by disabling the residential gateway mode, which is cool.

Sound right?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ALL of the modems support bridge mode.

the SMCD3GN does support it.  That is the unit i have.
while i dont have mine bridged, it does support it and work (have dont it in th past)