Dyn DNS and CGN3ROG

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Dyn DNS and CGN3ROG

A head's up in case you're experiencing the same frustration I did...

Switched on the weekend to the new service plan, required a switch to the Hitron. With the old Cisco DPC I used the integrated DDNS function, provided my DynDNS credentials and all worked beautifully with port forwarding to get to my server, surveillance cameras. I did the same with the Hitron and no dice (note, I do have a custom URL but don't think that should be an issue). I spent a couple of frustrating evenings trying to figure out what's wrong but never resolved the situation, I think the function just doesn't work on the Hitron.

As a workaround I downloaded Dyn's update client (Google search for Dyn update client) and installed on my server and disabled DDNS on the Hitron. Everything worked within seconds of activating. 

Cheers.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Dyn DNS and CGN3ROG

Yeah, not sure completely on the functionality of the DNS updater part of the hitron.

I havent had mine a full month, to know if its reported or not.. i also use No-IP.com.. so may act differently as well.

I use the no-ip desktop client, much like you now have done there with the dyn one.. but i know the no-ip one, ONLY pushes out to their servers, when it detects a CHANGE in the IP.  
With the rogers modems.. you usally have that IP for a good 6 months usually... so it never pushes out an update.. and i get the expiery warning.

Wondering if the hitrons built in.. might be the same? That it only pushes out, if the IP changed (and it hasnt changed SINCE that login info was entered).

Installing the desktop client, likely forced an update out (which gave them your new IP that you got with the new modem).

I am keeping BOTH in place.. no harm.. and hopefuly ONE of them updates it Smiley Tongue

(also, if you just got on the weekend.. you might not have the latest firmware.. takes about 3 days or so to be pushed out..  not sure if that may fix the issue or not)

Thanks for the info on this, to warn others, just in case.

I've Been Here Awhile

can't cannot to ddns with hitron modem and asus router

i use noip.com as my dyndns server. it worked perfectly until i switched my internet provider to rogers on sunday (ignite 100). i have all of my port forwarding set up fine. 

i use an asus rt-n66u as my router and the hitron cgn3acsmr as the modem. i am familiar with the asus router, it is awesome. it has been flashed with the tomato firmware. 

noip.com has been updated to use my current ip. my port forwarding has not changed. 

is there something else that  i need to setup on the modem? do i need to disable something??

any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jonny

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Log into the modem and check the firmware version that is shown on the Status page.  The newest version is 4.5.8.16   The previous version is very problematic for online gaming, VPNs, VOIP devices and any other application that is latency intolerant.  That might just be the source of the problem.  It takes 48 to 72 hours for the latest version to download and install after the modem has gone active on the network.  The other question is whether or not the modem is running in Bridge mode or Gateway mode?  If you're using your router, the modem should be in Bridge mode which is a user selectable mode with the Rogers modems.  To switch to Bridge mode, log into the router and navigate to BASIC..... GATEWAY FUNCTION.  Disable the Residential Gateway Function and save the setting.  The modem will reboot into Bridge mode acting as a modem only. 

With the CGN3ACSMR, to log into the modem when it is operating in Gateway mode and you are directly connected to the modem you can use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

With the CGN3ACSMR in Bridge mode, you can log into the modem by using 192.168.100.1   This is used when a router is in operation and you are connected to the router.  You do not need to change the configuration of your LAN or devices to log into the modem.  This allows you to log into the modem, thru the router, and change the operating mode back to Gateway mode if you so choose, and to check on the cable signal levels if necessary.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Question.

Your saying that you cant do dydns...
Is it just that when you try to enter than name/address, it does not resolve/connect to your 'server' at all.... and this is when you TEST from a PC WITHIN your network?

May be more of a loopback problem.. that it can not go out and loop back to yourself.  Fairly common.  Your OUTBOUND IP and the ip that the dydns is resolving to, is the same.

I am running no-ip with a name... and internal on my network, no i can not connect to anything using it.
But outside, from work, cellular, etc.  It will all connect just fine using the dyn name.

I've Been Here Awhile

Seems like i'm running an older firmware - if that is the problem. 

I'm unable to connect to my "named" dns server from anywhere (internal or external) at this point. 

I switched it to bridge mode last night and i couldn't connect to the internet at all. that's when i posted the problem here. 

shall i try again, wait for the firmware update to push through or try something else?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would recommend waiting for the firmware update.  Once that is done, run a factory reset and then reset your LAN and Wifi parameters as required.

I've Been Here Awhile

It has updated to the current firmware version (4.5.8.16) and I can confirm that this works now. I can log in to my dns from outside of the local network.

Thanks

Thanks for updating the Community @jonnyk9!

I am glad to see that the issue is resolved!

RogersMaude