Downgrading 250u to 100u and internet 5

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Downgrading 250u to 100u and internet 5

I am currenty on the Ignite 250 package, we tried it for a week and the only device in our home that gets those speeds is me and my wife's iphone 6 and 6s and we really don't need 250mbps on our iphones lol, we determined 100u should be enough for us.  

I called Rogers client services today and the girl that answered my call says she is unsure if I would loose my $28 discount if I downgrade to ignite 100u (I was told previously that it would be no problem and I can keep my discount) she said the promotion I have is not avaliable anymore and the maxium they have now is $23 off she then proceeded to transfer my call to the customer relations group to verify this and told me it would be approxmately 10 min wait. 

I waited, I waited and gave up after 45 mins on hold. So does anyone know for sure if I can keep my discount if I downgrade to Ignite 100 ? If not then I will keep everything as it is and not bother calling again.

As for internet 5, I had this installed for my mom yesturday and when I ran a speedtest, we got almost 15mbps, I thought we were only supposed to get 5mbps? Not that I am complaining but I do not want her to be charged extra for this. Anyone share any insight into this. 

*** Edited Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Downgrading 250u to 100u and internet 5

Just to add a comment on the speeds that you were seeing, its not unusual, unfortunately, for anyone who upgrades to the 250 Mb/s service to see some or all of their pc's, phone, tables etc restricted to speeds less than 100 Mb/s.  That is due to the ethernet ports built into the devices or due to the wifi card which might only support a single antenna and therefore limits the data rate for the device.  Upgrading to 250 Mb/s requires some homework to dig into the specs for the various devices to determine what they will support.  It might be a matter of replacing a router in some cases, in others it might lead to something like using a USB wifi dongle which will support higher data rates, it depends of course on what device we're talking about .  Unfortunately you're not the first to run into this and you won't be the last.  There have been numerous cases brought up previously in the forum and I'm sure that we will see many more as people upgrade to gigabit service.   Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Just to add a comment on the speeds that you were seeing, its not unusual, unfortunately, for anyone who upgrades to the 250 Mb/s service to see some or all of their pc's, phone, tables etc restricted to speeds less than 100 Mb/s.  That is due to the ethernet ports built into the devices or due to the wifi card which might only support a single antenna and therefore limits the data rate for the device.  Upgrading to 250 Mb/s requires some homework to dig into the specs for the various devices to determine what they will support.  It might be a matter of replacing a router in some cases, in others it might lead to something like using a USB wifi dongle which will support higher data rates, it depends of course on what device we're talking about .  Unfortunately you're not the first to run into this and you won't be the last.  There have been numerous cases brought up previously in the forum and I'm sure that we will see many more as people upgrade to gigabit service.   Smiley Sad

Yeah thats my neighbour told me too, he is a Bell tech, and told me when he does installs and trouble calls for customers who has their higher tiers, a good amount of folks do not have the proper AC equipment or gigabit ports to handle these speeds. Some of the trouble calls he gets are simply customer equipment related and he gets people who gets mad at him for blaming their eqipment.  lol

He came to my place one day and plugged in this laptop which had a gigabit port and he got a whooping 324mbps!  He told me we have to retrofit our desktops and laptops with either gigabit ports/ AC wireless adapters, which would cost us quite a bit and not worth the investment.

So now I am just down the billing aspect of the service, to see if I can downgrade to the ignite 100 and keep my discount, if not then I won't bother.   

Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

Hey @airportrocket

I'll have someone from @CommunityHelps send you a PM (Private Message) and we will look into your inquiry for IGNITE 100u.

Accessing your private message can be done by clicking on your Avatar on the top right of this page and then clicking the Envelope Icon. Alternatively, you can click here to go to your inbox directly: http://bit.ly/YourInbox

Since the Community Forums is a public place, detail account information is discussed privately.

To learn more about Private Message you can visit this page here.

Cheers,

RogersShakir

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's an additional idea that might be useful if you really didn't want to downgrade to a lower internet tier, and that is to use a USB to ethernet adapter.  The USB 2.0 standard can theoretically transfer data at a 480 Mb/s.  The newer USB 3.0 can handle up to 5 Gbps.  We have a couple USB 3.0 to ethernet adapters around the house when we want to connect one of the laptops to the network.  It doesn't have an ethernet port, but running thru the USB port works fine.  Best I've seen is 200 Mb/s but thats due to the laptop, which just won't run any faster, wired or wifi.  They look like this:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=056527

For a pc, buying an ethernet card and installing it isn't a huge cost or task to undertake.  Just have to disable the inboard ethernet adapter and use the installed card.  Something like this:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048_1052&item_id=028356

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Here's an additional idea that might be useful if you really didn't want to downgrade to a lower internet tier, and that is to use a USB to ethernet adapter.  The USB 2.0 standard can theoretically transfer data at a 480 Mb/s.  The newer USB 3.0 can handle up to 5 Gbps.  We have a couple USB 3.0 to ethernet adapters around the house when we want to connect one of the laptops to the network.  It doesn't have an ethernet port, but running thru the USB port works fine.  Best I've seen is 200 Mb/s but thats due to the laptop, which just won't run any faster, wired or wifi.  They look like this:

For a pc, buying an ethernet card and installing it isn't a huge cost or task to undertake.  Just have to disable the inboard ethernet adapter and use the installed card.  Something like this:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048_1052&item_id=028356

Thanks for the heads up, I have done my homework already and I would have to retrofit 3 computers, 2 laptops and 1 desktop to get the AC equipment and it would cost me around $100. To me it is not worth it, I rather spend the money elsewhere. I called later on in the evening when wait times are not as long and they told me I can keep my discount if I go to the 100u package, I made the change and no one in my household complained.  

RogerShakir, thanks for offering your help, I called in the evening yestuday and I have gotten the answers I needed.  

But still no one can really explain the speed increase for the internet 5 package at my moms place, I asked about it, they confirmed she is on the internet 5 package and they said it may be because of the "Speedboost" and insisted she would not charged extra for it. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@airportrocket wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, I have done my homework already and I would have to retrofit 3 computers, 2 laptops and 1 desktop to get the AC equipment and it would cost me around $100. To me it is not worth it, I rather spend the money elsewhere. I called later on in the evening when wait times are not as long and they told me I can keep my discount if I go to the 100u package, I made the change and no one in my household complained.  

Honestly, I agree with you. I have the 250, had the HF 150 before then, and really, the extra speed is nearly useless. The only thing where you really can notice it is downloading big files from CDNs, e.g. through Steam. Everything else... the other end can't send you at 250 megabits/sec.

Plus once you get above 60-100 megabits/sec, as you found out, your hardware becomes a much more important factor.

That being said, on future hardware purchases, make sure that everything you are buying 1) has a gigabit, not 100 megabit, Ethernet port, and 2) can do (dual-band) 802.11ac... and really you want 2 streams of 802.11ac.