Does the Yahoo breach affect Rogers customers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Does the Yahoo breach affect Rogers customers?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yahoo-cyber-idUSKCN11S16P

If the breach turns out to be true, does it affect Rogers e-mail as well?

*edited labels*

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Does the Yahoo breach affect Rogers customers?

Ditto - I Came here to ask exactly this. We of course have our @rogers.com email addresses, and one of the secondary addresses is "linked" to an @yahoo.com account. i.e. When I log in to the @yahoo.com address, going to the Gear->Account Info leads me to the Rogers branded member centre.

Looks like its real, on the sign in page is a link to:

https://s.yimg.com/sf/support/en-security-notice-content.pdf

The link in Member Centre->My Account & Billing -> lower right link "Change my Security Key" leads to a URL at 'edit.secure.yahoo.com' but results in a page load error :

Could Not Connect

Description: Could not connect to the requested server host.

Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

Hey Community,

We take our customers’ privacy seriously and are in contact with Yahoo as they continue their investigation and determine next steps. We encourage people to regularly change their passwords and they can visit https://t.co/L65mt50E58 for tips on how set a strong password.

You can read more about Yahoo's FAQs here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27925.html

***We will continue to provide updates to this thread.  Stay tuned.***

RogersRoland

I Plan to Stick Around

So, any update on this? Are you still on hold with Yahoo customer support? That wait time must be nearly as bad as some Canadian companies, eh?

when did Yahoo learn of this? When did they tell Rogers? What information was taken? Has any of the information been used? Have they fixed the problem? What is Rogers doing for their customers? What state was the sponsor of the hack? Has the RCMP been informed?

come on Rogers, do better for once. Be proactive and don't pass the buck to Yahoo.

I Plan to Stick Around

Using a strong password and changing it often seems to be the ONLY security we have access to Smiley Sad

There are no "security questions" in the Rogers branded Yahoo interface or 2-factor (getting a text  to your phone).

Many of the links in the Rogers interface are outdated ... broken/error pages.

However, the added security would not have helped in this case if the breach was from the back end. And any personal information is already compromised. Whether email messages and calendar items have been harvested as well is anybody's guess, especially since Yahoo has removed the account login history feature back in April,  you can no longer keep tabs on  how/when your account was accessed.

Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

I went to change my Rogers password in MyRogers and received the error "Sorry, something went wrong. We’re working on fixing it as quickly as we can. Please check back in a few minutes."  I then went to Live Chat and the support person in Live Chat wanted me to fill in a form in live chat WITH the changed password.  I refused because I don't consider this to be secure.  Why not just have the Change Password function work?  The entire MyRogers site seems screwy, it always has

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, the interface through here, has always been a bit flakey in terms of changing password, etc.

Now, THIS password for here/myrogers, is not the one to be overly concerned about... IF anything,
(nothing has been confirmed yet, that rogers accounts WERE effected), would be the rogers EMAIL password.

Now, the only reason you would have to specifically change this one as well, would be if you had them both with the same password.

I Plan to Stick Around

OK, where does one change their Rogers email password then?

I Plan to Stick Around

OK, I did this through Yahoo email.  Gawd, I hate Yahoo email, I sure wish they'd be using GMail

I'm a Trusted Contributor

If I'm not mistaken the breach took place in 2014. If you have changed your password since then (most people have probably changed e-mail passwords at least once or twice since then) one would think you should be OK.