cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Rogers now use FTTH

peter101s
I've been here awhile

How can I find out if Rogers has FTTH in my area? I’ve contact Rogers and they have no idea and some don’t even know what FTTH is. I’ve read many different posts with contradicting info. Some say Rogers will notify you when its available in the area, other posts say you need to call Rogers if you want it. I’m totally confused. Anyone can help?

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Does Rogers now use FTTH

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@peter101s wrote:
How can I find out if Rogers has FTTH in my area? I’ve contact Rogers and they have no idea and some don’t even know what FTTH is. I’ve read many different posts with contradicting info. Some say Rogers will notify you when its available in the area, other posts say you need to call Rogers if you want it. I’m totally confused. Anyone can help?

You can contact Rogers and ask them to check their construction schedules to see if they have any work planned to bring fibre into your area.  You can also check with your municipality to see if any permits have been approved for underground work or directional boring in your area.  That's about all that you can do.

If your area is serviced by coax, you will be stuck with conventional cable Internet until the time comes that Rogers retrofits your entire neighbourhood with fibre.

Right now, Rogers only seems to be installing FTTH in a few select areas.  Their support pages don't contain any information on FTTH equipment.

Some say Rogers will notify you when its available in the area, other posts say you need to call Rogers if you want it.

You are thinking about info pages such as this: https://www.rogers.com/internet/fibre-powered

EVERYBODY wants FTTH.  You can't just call Rogers and tell them that you would like your service upgraded.

When FTTH is about to come to your area, Rogers will send you an info packet.  You will need to provide consent before Rogers can any work to trench fibre on your property.

peter101s
I've been here awhile
The odd thing is no Rogers person I’ve talked to even know what ETTH is. One one once
Told me it’s coming and had zero info on where it’s active or where work is done

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@peter101s wrote:
The odd thing is no Rogers person I’ve talked to even know what ETTH is.

I posted this when I first heard about an actual next-gen FTTH installation.  It's not a widespread rollout yet and very few people seem to have any knowledge about it.  I have not seen any public announcements but Rogers have disclosed plans/intentions for ongoing residential network upgrades in their financial reports.  (e.g. See p. 39 of the 2020 Annual Report.)

One one once
Told me it’s coming and had zero info on where it’s active or where work is done

You will get FTTH when you get it... and you will be notified if it is coming soon... and you will see underground locates being done, fibre installation contractors putting up construction signs, and surveyors marking and staking the ground before any work proceeds.  You will then see crews digging small trenches and pilot holes at regular intervals for the boring equipment.  When crews finally do bring in a Ditch Witch (or something similar) and other support equipment, they will spend weeks drilling, trenching and installing underground conduit, underground vaults and hand holes.  You can't miss it, and once they do finally put fibre into the ground, it could take a while (possibly a very long while) before it gets lit up and connected in your home.

There is absolutely nothing that you can do to speed up the process.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@peter101s wrote:

How can I find out if Rogers has FTTH in my area? I’ve contact Rogers and they have no idea and some don’t even know what FTTH is.

I just want to mention something,   There was a time when companies hired people who were passionate about working for them the employees were very eager to learn as much as they possibly can about the company they work for including future technologies coming out.

Its very hard to find this kind of talented in large scale so a lot of the people they for these jobs hire have no telecom experience, and to them its just "another job". This is very unfortunate and I wish it wasn't like this.

Now another thing is the call centre folks are the ones we talk to the most when we contact rogers, however they usually know the least about fiber role out plans.  Its easy to assume they know this info but in a lot of circumstance theyre likely the LAST ones to know.

In my old neighbourhood 3 years ago rogers hired a contractor to run conduits under the boulevards. Everyone got some door sticker saying rogers was upgrading to new technologies, fast forward to 3 years later, there's still no fiber underground in that neighbourhood. Things like that are taking a very longtime unfortunately.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation