Does Cold Weather affect Rogers internet connections

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Does Cold Weather affect Rogers internet connections

I have opened 2 technical tickets that were to have been escalated to level 2 and 3 as I was experiencing issues with my internet connection losing between 5-20 % of packets and signal, and during the testing with your technicians they confirmed this. I would really like to have rogers admit that cold weather DOES affect their internet capabilities.

If I attempt to play ANY PC game - on WIFI or on a wired connection and I get frequent disconnections regardless of how many times I reboot my modem, PC or flush DNS - release and renew IP addresses, and this is being done on, a wireless laptop and 2 desktops which are all operational and working just fine with no additional security or firewall software. I have enabled port forwarding to my specific IP's for my devices and I am paying really good money for the 150/15 connection and I get speeds of 8 MBPS on the download, and 9 + on the upload.

Now, as far as doing my due diligence with the troubleshooting with Rogers and opening tickets for this issue, the problem IS STILL not resolved. It seems the colder the weather gets the lousier the connection becomes. I don't think I am the only one experiencing this issue. If rogers cannot provide consistant service, then how can you call yourselves the fastest and most reliable internet connection in Canada?

Will Rogers admit this is an issue, and what are you doing for your customers to compensate them? I have been back with you guys 2 months and I am really getting annoyed to the point where I am ready to walk !!! - I would please request a swift response to this question.

***edited labels***

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Does Cold Weather affect Rogers internet connections

i am in london ont since friday my internet has been going down every hour 1:02 3:02 4:02 ect.

Shuts off for 2 mins then goes back

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tekfu, just to point out, this is a user to user forum, not a user to company forum.  If you have specific demands / complaints that you wish to direct at Rogers, you will have to use other avenues to do that.

If you are interested in doing any troubleshooting, you could start with the cable signal levels.  To do that log into the modem and navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page.  You will see two tables, one for the downstream signal levels and one for the upstream.  Copy those tables and paste them into this thread.  Don't worry about how they look when they paste in.  I can sort them out if necessary. 

Is your external cable an overhead cable, or underground.  If its overhead from a pole, over time, it does weather and suffer from mechanical wear and tear as it can get blown around by the wind.  Underground cables also fail over time, and in both cases, the external connectors need replacing from time to time.

You have indicated that existing tickets have already been escalated.  Did tech support give you a resolution timeframe?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Modnhar, can you check the DHCP lease time on the modem and ensure that it hasn't changed to 1 hour for some reason?

Just for a quick check, can you also log into the modem and navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page.  You will see two tables, one for the downstream signal levels and one for the upstream.  Copy those tables and paste them into this thread.  Don't worry about how they look when they paste in.  I can sort them out if necessary.  It might be worth checking the signal levels to see if anything is going wrong with them.

I'm Here A Lot

@ Datalink - I have done all the troubleshooting I can do with Rogers. I have offered to give them control of my PC's to run any tests they want and they've refused. As for where the wire is? I assume it is buried, not hanging out in the breeze somewhere.

As a Rogers user, I can ask a question to my provider which affects more then just this one user. So my question is why would you mention that this is a user/user forum only, even you responding for Rogers indicates that this is read by rogers personnel, and to me your response speaks volumes.

If you do not work for Rogers as an employee, you still do respond on their behalf, and I would appreciate if you would not try to silence customer by asking legitmate questions when it comes to their services, and I feel like this is what you are doing. I have legitmate question and issue which still remains unresolved, now I have asked Rogers Technical support directly, and have even written in letters to ask this question explaining my fustration in getting a clear answer.

To date no one has contacted me back regarding the 2 tickets that were closed for this issue, nor have I ever received any clear explanation regarding this issue. As a user of rogers, customer and person, regardless of where I ask the question, is it really doing any harm by asking if this is a problem and more so, am I the only one that is being affected, cause after reading some of the other forum postings it would appear that I am not.

As for any testing that you want me to do, my issue stems from the late evening hours when it tends to be at the coldest which is when I experience the drop in my signal and internet connectivity. Now if you want me to post something here at that time, then I would be glad to do so. However I will not be told that I cannot as my carrier a question which affects their service.

Good Day Sir !

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You are free to ask your carrier any questions you want..  No one is trying to silence you.

Just need to ask the right people, via the right methods.

While this forum IS monitored by rogers employees... thats just it.  They monitor it really only. 
The people on here, are NOT tech support people..
Some of them can do LIMITED account stuff.

But generaly, they dont answer stuff here.  Thats done through the normal methods of Phone, Live chat... you can get ahold of some of it through facebook/twitter.

Datalink, myself... any of the RE's... we have NO affiliation with rogers, other than being rogers users.

We do not speak on their behalf..  our opinions are our own (you can find many threads where we will say thing AGAINST specific rogers products, etc).

We are just users, who due to HELPING other users here, have been given slightly more abilities on this forum.  But thats it.  I can look up your information as much as your next door neibour can.

The other users here, can try and help you troubleshoot some stuff... with solutions, info, that we as users have picked up on our own over time.  (as Datalink was trying to do with asking for the signal levels, etc)

These sorts of parts.. can be helped here... at least to the fact of maybe determining WHERE the problem is steming from.. and then direct you as to HOW or WHO to contact to fix, etc.

But beyond that.. as for why tickets were closed, those sorts of things...  All datalink was trying to do, was say that you likely are not going to get an answer about it, from this venue.. and that you would be better asking it in a place where they DO answer those sorts of things.

------------------

Looking back to your original post.

Your download speeds being insanely low.. the packet loss, etc.. does likely indicate a signal issue.
Taking a look at your signal levels, may outright show that there is a problem period.
If there are UP and DOWN times (wamer weather vs bitter cold) would be good to get a baseline signal at BOTH of these times to compare.
This would definately show that the cold is effecting it.

THEN comes down to.. how/what to fix.
You would need to pressure them to get a Tech out.
(and PRAY its a good one)
They need to test the signal at ALL points..  At the modem itself.. go back, any splitters, connectors, etc. along the way.. Replace them as necessary.
Check the signal outside the house at the connection there.  Check the signal at the box on the street.
Find out where the drop is comming from.

IF its at the street level then... its likely then the cold effecting that drop, the main lines, the closest node, etc... but at least can hopefully be then escalated from there.

(problably 2 years ago, i was experiencing problem... 25 year old house.. old burried line, connectors, etc.   Ended up having them replace the line into the house, a bunch of spliters, etc..  My signal is pretty much bang on perfect now (no more than +/- .2db of zero where you want it to be) and even on the clodest days, dont have an issue, full speed, etc.)

I'm Here A Lot

Lease Obtained :Tuesday, February 03, 2015 3:39:24 PM
Lease Expires Wednesday, February 03, 2016 3:41:31 PM

Downstream Channel

ID 0 1 2 3 Downstream Frequency 591.002075 MHz 596.998779 MHz 603.000122 MHz 609.001343 MHz Lock Status Locked Locked Locked Locked Modulation 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM Symbol Rate 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec Downstream Power 0.921218 dBmV 0.806694 dBmV 0.712404 dBmV 0.674622 dBmV SNR 37.935909 dB 37.935909 dB 38.257755 dB 38.257755 dB

Upstream Channel

ID 0 1 2 3 Upstream Frequency 30596000 Hz   38596000 Hz 23700000 Hz Lock Status Locked Not locked Locked Locked Modulation 64QAM   64QAM 64QAM Symbol Rate 5120 sym/sec   2560 sym/sec 5120 sym/sec Upstream Power 50.2500 dBmV   50.2500 dBmV 50.2500 dBmV Channel ID 2   1 3

I'm a Regular

I have been having the same problem here in London as another user reported.  I also have a huge log file when I login to the modem.  All kinds of  these

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=60:2a:d0:85:43:7d;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:a3:65;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

followed by

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=60:2a:d0:85:43:7d;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:a3:65;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

followed by

MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=60:2a:d0:85:43:7d;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:a3:65;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

over and over and over...never stopping.  the first two messages say under level Critical 3 and the last message says Warning 5

I'm a Regular

where do you find the lease expire thing?

I'm Here A Lot

Start/CMD/ type ipconfig /all

I called Rogers 4 times, every time they just reset the modem. it does nothing.

it is on rogers end. They are telling me to replace my modem, i just got it 2 months ago lol.