Does Bridge Mode make internet faster if I have another router?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Does Bridge Mode make internet faster if I have another router?

@ChanPatr wrote:

Did another round of Speed Test to compare the difference:

• The download speed of my iPad Air 2 on the 5 GHz network is around 95 Mbps.
  • The download speed of wireless devices (i.e. another PC) on the 2.4 GHz network is around 75 Mbps.
  • The download speed of my  PC now on ethernet is also around 75 Mbps.

I was expecting the Ethernet would be faster but I'll let things settle down for a few days before tinkering around anymore. Overall though, I'm actually quite content with my upgrade to Ignite 60 (so far).

My theory: the speedtest app you are using on the iPad Air 2 is using a smaller file to test, while your PCs are using a larger file. As a result, speedboost is less of a factor on the PCs... and therefore your speed becomes closer to your plan speed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, and also what you are using for the speed tests on both...

Are they using the SAME endpoint location?
If not, they can give drastically different speed results.

Even using the same app/site.. the difference of choosing option 1, 2 or 3 lets say of your CLOSEST ones, could give different results for all 3.

Its all in how the routing is done.

Unless its changed.. K/W was that way.
You would THINK, choosing a K/W location would give the best speed tests when you lived there, right?
Nope.  Its speed test locations, due to who/how they were routed.. would all go from K/W, to toronto, then back to the K/W test point.
You would get faster speed tests, doing Toronto.

I'm Here A Lot

I am soon to upgrade to a rogers 70 ignite bundle. I have a DIR-825 kicking around

I was wondering if it was worth using the DIR-825 to handle the wireless for the house with the rocket moden in bridge mode .

We have two xbox one's ,tablets,PC, and 4 phones.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rellim68 wrote:

I am soon to upgrade to a rogers 70 ignite bundle. I have a DIR-825 kicking around

I was wondering if it was worth using the DIR-825 to handle the wireless for the house with the rocket moden in bridge mode .

We have two xbox one's ,tablets,PC, and 4 phones.

Hard to say. If you're on the 70 megabit plan (I assume you are in NB?), then the big benefit of different wireless hardware would be range. I had a DIR-825 rev B long ago, it... wasn't spectacular range-wise, at least on 5GHz, compared to the Asus RT-AC68U that replaced it. But it might or might not be better than the CGN3ACSMR which has no external antenna...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the router processor is capable of running the various functions that you want to use and providing the throughput of your internet plan at the same time, you would, in theory see no difference in ethernet performance between the modem and router.  Running 70 Mb/s I wouldn't expect any problems.  If you were running at or over 100 mb/s, then the various router functions can definitely cause a substantial drop in the throughput.  Wifi is a different situation due to the low to middling performance of the modem compared to typical routers.

Looking at the DIR-825, it appears to be getting long in the tooth so to speak.  Models A andB had their last firmware update in 2013.  Model C had its last update in 2014.  So, I would consider all models to be a security hazard at this point in time given the router security issues that have come up over the last two years for multiple manufacturers.  I wouldn't recommend its use today as a router, but, you could run it as an internal LAN switch by turning off the firewall and wifi.  Sorry Smiley Sad

http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-825

Just to note, if you end up with a Hitron CGN3 series modem, of which there are the CGN3, CGN3ACR and CGN3SMR, you will find that the wifi on the modem is lacking, but, if you do receive one of these, give it a go and see what your opinions are in terms of the coverage across your home.  Between that and the access to limited settings, you might decide that its time to buy a new router.  That can be determined down the road, but the major recommendation at this point is to by a router with gigabit WAN and LAN ports and external antenna.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Edit:  Looking at other firmware, DD-WRT and OpenWrt are in the same boat with some router versions supported as of 2014 at the latest, so, still out of date.  Tomato only supports Broadcom based routers, so none of the DIR-825 hardware versions is not supported by this firmware.

I'm Here A Lot

Wow thanks for the Info didn't know that was a problem,sounds like a new router is best all around
I'm Here A Lot

With all the above taken into consideration,what router seems to work best with rogers rocket modems?since I'm only on the 70 package I don't want to spend money I won't see a from.

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you dont plan on doing much internal transfers.. and dont realy plan going to any higher speed packages..

If you dont have the $$ there is not much point on going to a very high end 3rd party.

A decent $100+ Wireless N router (ASUS, NETGEAR, etc) will have enough processing power that would not have any issues that way.
The bigest thing would be the antennas.  External antennas would give much better range vs internal, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rellim68 wrote:

With all the above taken into consideration,what router seems to work best with rogers rocket modems?since I'm only on the 70 package I don't want to spend money I won't see a from.

Thanks

Personally, I'd go for something like the Asus RT-AC56U. It doesn't have the external antenna or the third stream (so maximum speed on 802.11ac is 866 megabits instead of 1300, which is immaterial for you) of my beloved 68U, but it's also a lot cheaper... and it doesn't engage in the awful cost cutting of lower end routers like using a 100 megabit WAN port (which is fine for now since you're on the 70 plan, but would be a major problem if you ever upgrade).

If you are in an environment where range/signal strength is an issue, then you may want to go for something fancier with external antennas.

I hate to disagree with @Gdkitty, but I wouldn't look an 802.11n router today. The decent 802.11n routers are expensive/discontinued, the low end ones are unlikely to be better than the Rogers gateways. Many client devices, e.g. smartphones, some tablets, and a few laptops, now support 802.11ac. I just think spending the extra $20-30 for an 802.11ac router of comparable quality is money well spent in terms of future proofing... (if you had a high-end 802.11n router already, though, I wouldn't tell you to replace it)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

PM sent with a few thoughts on what to consider for a new router.  Please check your message inbox Smiley Happy