Does Bridge Mode make internet faster if I have another router?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Does Bridge Mode make internet faster if I have another router?

@ChanPatr wrote:
That's correct ... The iPad Air 2 is on the 5 GHz network along with 2 Smart TVs. The other devices only see the 2.4 GHz network.

I'm always very pessimistic about 2.4GHz, but my sense is that if you're in a somewhat dense environment (e.g. condo/apartment/townhouse/etc), 50 megabits/sec on 2.4GHz is excelllent. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. 50 is not afful, especially on 2.4, if there is issues/interfearance.

There are some things that can be done, to tweek it, might improve it.

Hopefully Datalink can come by and post his Infodump on it Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats not a bad result at all.  On the 60 Mb/s plan, I would expect that you might see ~95 Mb/s on a wired connection.  That might be worth checking just to know how fast the rates are via wired connection.  For the wireless, as Gdkitty indicated you might be able to tweak it a bit.  The only thing that comes to mind right now is to have a look at your wireless environment to see if there is a channel that you could use that might allow your network to run faster, ie: one with less interference from neighboring routers.  If you load inSSIDer on the laptop, you can have a look at the network display and see if all of the channels are occupied or if there are any that would be better to use.  This is the last freebie version of inSSIDer, and it will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  It doesn't monitor 5 Ghz 802.11ac networks, so if you plan to use 802.11ac, my advice would be to purchase the latest version, which is $20 U.S.  So, give that a go.  You might find that you're on the best channel for your location, and if so, carry on.  If there is a channel where there might be less interference, try switching the modem to that channel and run a couple of speedtests to see if you end up further ahead.  If not, return to plan A. 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I Plan to Stick Around

I played around with the channels for the 2.4 GHz network today. I'm pleased to say download speeds are now in the upper 70 Mbps.

Out of curiosity, I also tried to plug my PC directly into the ethernet ports of the CGN3 to see what speeds I could obtain. I was able to get far though, as it fails to negotiate a proper IP address but the orange link light is lit up.

I've also noticed an issue with my Sony Blu-Ray player is also having issues connecting to CGN3 as well.

From reviewing this forum, I see there has been a few threads around connecting to the ethernet ports of the CGN3 but I have yet come across a solution yet.

I've tried playing around with speed / duplex setting of my network card but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have also confirmed the latest drivers for my NIC card are installed.

I've tried the other Ethernet ports on the CGN3 and changed CAT cables as well but it makes no difference.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Were the PC and Blue-Ray connected previously to another modem or router? If so, I wonder if they still have the previous IP address set? The amber LED on the Hitron connected port indicates that the port is communicating with the remote device port at 1 Gb/s. Green indicates 10 / 100 Mb/s.

For the PC can you bring up a command prompt and type in: ipconfig/all

In the “Ethernet adapter Ethernet:” group you will see an IPV4 address, which if it shows, should be in the LAN IP address range of the modem. If that address looks out of place, perhaps its because the PC is using an address set in the TCP/IPv4 Properties panel of the PC instead of dynamically accepting an IP address from the modem. You should also see the gateway address, which should be the modem LAN ip address and the DNS addresses that are supplied to the PC, unless of course you also have those hard set.

Navigate to Control Panel…Network and Sharing Center.  Select Change Adapter Settings on the left hand side to bring up the Network Connections panel. Select the Ethernet adapter and, right click to bring up the menu and select Properties. When the Ethernet Properties panel comes up, scroll down to the bottom and select or highlight the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Then select Properties on the lower right hand side. This brings up the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties panel. Ensure that “Obtain an IP address automatically” is selected. For the DNS, you have a choice at this point to use the modem supplied DNS or use a specific DNS, such as Google, OpenDNS or others. I use OpenDNS and have the addresses hard set. If the modem or router is ever hacked and the DNS address is reset to a rogue DNS address, the PC would still use the DNS address that is set in the Properties panel. Food for thought….. So have a look at the IP address situation and see if that was the source of the problem.

For the Blue-Ray player, there is usually a network test that you can run from the Blue-Ray user interface. Have a look at that, if it is there, give that a go and see if it picks up a new IP address.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The ports on the CGN3 should be fine.

I have all 4 of mine connected (in various combinations since i got it.. from direct to devcie, or having a switch inbetwen) and have not had an issue of any of them not connecting without issues (assuming the device is set up correct to obtain the address)

I Plan to Stick Around

As per Datalink's suggestion, I have confirmed "Obtain an IP address automatically is selected under the IPV4 properties. With regards to DNS server address, it's set to "Obtain DNS server address automatically.

When I do an IP config, it's obtaining an address of 169.254.x.x which is definitely wrong. Later tonight, I'll force my PC to release this erroneous IP address and subsequently renewing it. I see a lot of threads on this forum that seems to match my issue but have yet to come across a definitive solution yet.

I may need to call Rogers. Perhaps there is a setting on the CGN3 that needs to be enabled for the ethernet ports that I may not be able to access using the console.

This issue is only a nuisance since Wi-Fi is working nicely. I still would like to get it addressed particularly for my PC since it is situated right beside the CGN3 so using the ethernet is ideal it. In addition, my Blu-Ray player can only connect to the Internet over Ethernet as well - so right now, it can't check for updates. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Double check your cables.. just to make sure.. Use others if you have them.. just to eliminate that out of the equasion.

The 169 address is normal, when a card trys to get an address, and isn't served one.

So its not like the PC is refreshing.

you can do an

ipconfig /release

then

ipconfig /renew

and it should try to renew the address.

You could also try setting on the PC, a manual address, and see if it will let you connect.

I Plan to Stick Around

I already tried using Window's Network Diagnostic Tool last night but it was able to fix the issue. I think this tool more or less does the same thing as manually releasing the IP address and renewing it afterwards but automates the process. As such, I'm not expecting releasing and renewing the IP address using the ipconfig command will make any difference.  I will however give it a try tonight. I could also try rebooting CGN3 as well. 

I Plan to Stick Around

It would appear the CGN3 just needed a reboot to address the ethernet connections.

After the reboot completed, I plugged my PC into an ethernet port on the CGN3 and it automatically picked up an 192.168.x.x IP address. I then went to check on the Blu-Ray player and it was also assigned a 192.168.x.x IP address.

I also confirmed that both devices have access to the Internet.

Did another round of Speed Test to compare the difference:

• The download speed of my iPad Air 2 on the 5 GHz network is around 95 Mbps.
  • The download speed of wireless devices (i.e. another PC) on the 2.4 GHz network is around 75 Mbps.
  • The download speed of my  PC now on ethernet is also around 75 Mbps.

I was expecting the Ethernet would be faster but I'll let things settle down for a few days before tinkering around anymore. Overall though, I'm actually quite content with my upgrade to Ignite 60 (so far).