Does Bridge Mode make internet faster if I have another router?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Does Bridge Mode make internet faster if I have another router?

Hi so I understand that Bridge mode on my rogers Modem (which has router inside) disables the router function. I was wondering if I have another router that I just bought and it runs fine and I am not in bridge mode on my rogers modem, would putting my Rogers modem in bridge mode make my new router and wireless network faster at all?

So basically does bridge mode on my Rogers Modem make my other D-link router faster?

Thanks

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Does Bridge Mode make internet faster if I have another router?

Having just bridged my CGN3 and running an Asus RT-AC68U behind it, I can say that you might see a slight uptick in wired speeds and a possible / probable increase in speed when comparing the CGN3 wireless data rate to a third party router. That depends of course on what you have for a router, and whether or not you were running it with the CGN3 in Gateway mode. If you were in that mode, and both devices were configured properly to co-exist with each other, using the D-Link for your wireless router duties, I don’t think you will see much of an increase if any by bridging the CGN3. If you were using the CGN3 for wireless duties and decided to bridge it and run the D-Link for its wireless capabilities, then you probably will see a speed increase. It all depends on your current configuration as to whether or not you will see any increase in data rates and what the D-Link is capable of providing. Bridging the CGN3 and running a third party router in a full up router mode is simpler than disabling the DHCP on the router and assigning it an IP address which is outside of the CGN3 LAN IP address range. Not that this is a big deal, but if you don’t do that, you end up with a double NAT situation, probable IP address conflicts between the modem and the router, and problems in data forwarding. If you do any gaming and have to set up any port forwarding or port triggering, then you want to use the D-Link to handle those duties. So, there are benefits beyond speed to consider in bridging the modem. I think in the end, unless the D-Link is not up to par for wireless performance, you would probably be much happier running it in router mode, behind the bridged modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with datalink.

IF you are going to use a 3rd party router.. i would definately put it in bridge mode.. if ANYTHING just for the case of having the double NAT.

Your are going through TWO routers then in the end.. two firewalls, etc.. its doing extra routing, etc which is not necessary and could slow things down (or cause issues with some things connecting)

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm planning to upgrade to Rogers' new Ignite 60 or 100u plans in the next couple of days. I'm currently on their legacy Hi-Speed Express (60 GB) plan and using a Linksys E1200 for Wi-Fi needs.

To get onto their Ignite plans, I am aware the modem needs to be upgraded either the Advanced Wi-Fi Modem or Rocket Wi-Fi Modem. As these modems have Wi-Fi built-in, does it make sense to continue using my Linksys E1200 with their new modems (in bridge mode) or just use the Wi-Fi capabilities on their modems?

I have approximately 6 devices that are connected wirelessly to Internet (i.e. mixture of G, N, and AC). but I do have a couple of wired devices but they are infrequently used so internet speed on them is not a concern.

What are your recommendations?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I suspect that you will be disappointed with the performance of the Rogers modems, in terms of the wifi performance.  Yes, you should see higher data rates, especially if you use the CGN3ACR with your ac capable device, but, I suspect that overall, the wifi coverage that you see now with your current router will not improve that much.  Both devices use internal antenna mounted on the motherboard.  Yes, it works, but its not the most optimal.  I think that the best thing you can do is run the modem wifi for a couple of days and compare the wifi coverage around the house with what you currently have.  If you find the results lacking, be prepared to bite the bullet to upgrade your Linksys modem.  I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, so consider this as food for thought when you are testing the modem.  I run an Asus RT-AC68U with the CGN3 in bridge mode.  Previous to that I was using the 5 Ghz wireless off of the CGN3 without any issues, and using an DLink-655 as a 2.4 Ghz access point.  I didn't have any problems or issues with the 5 Ghz performance.  So, it depends on your home layout, and what you use the network for that will probably define your final impresssions.  If you do decide to upgrade the Linksys, look for a router with external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports.  Let us know what your impressions are after you've had a chance to use the modem. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Datalink for your feedback. I'll first try out the built-in Wi-Fi capability of their modems and see what speeds I get from my wireless devices. I'll post the results here to get feedback on the results. If bad, I'll put the Rogers modem on bridge mode and my Linksys E1200 for Wi-Fi instead and see it that improves performance. If performance still doesn't improve, then I'll consider upgrading my wireless router.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChanPatr wrote:

I'm planning to upgrade to Rogers' new Ignite 60 or 100u plans in the next couple of days. I'm currently on their legacy Hi-Speed Express (60 GB) plan and using a Linksys E1200 for Wi-Fi needs.

To get onto their Ignite plans, I am aware the modem needs to be upgraded either the Advanced Wi-Fi Modem or Rocket Wi-Fi Modem. As these modems have Wi-Fi built-in, does it make sense to continue using my Linksys E1200 with their new modems (in bridge mode) or just use the Wi-Fi capabilities on their modems?

I have approximately 6 devices that are connected wirelessly to Internet (i.e. mixture of G, N, and AC). but I do have a couple of wired devices but they are infrequently used so internet speed on them is not a concern.

What are your recommendations?

The E1200 only has 100 megabit Ethernet ports, so throw it in the garbage (well, okay, drop it off at your neighbourhood ewaste facility - the REs do NOT condone irresponsible waste disposal). There was a nasty bug with the CGN3 and 100 megabit devices; I believe that bug has now been fixed, but I still don't think it is a good idea to have a 100 megabit plan and have your router's maximum link speed to the modem be 100 megabit - for one thing you'll lose the benefit of Rogers' speedboost.

So, once the E1200 has been disposed of in a responsible fashion, that leaves you two options:

1) Gateway mode, which may or may not meet your needs. Frankly, the E1200 being on the lower end of things, it may be that gateway mode will provide comparable range/performance. Or maybe not.

2) Get a solid, good new router. Everyone here, myself included, seems to love the Asus RT-AC68U. Costs a lot of money, but like everything in life, you get what you pay for...

I Plan to Stick Around

I picked up the CGN3ROG Wi-Fi modem this morning. Plugged the CGN3ROG in and secured the Wi-Fi network. 

Here are my initial results so far:

I'm typically getting download speeds in the low-50's Mbps on my wireless N clients; whereas my iPad Air 2 gets download speeds in the low 80's Mbps. I'm on the Ignite 60 plan.

Are these results acceptable?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The air 2 is on the 5ghz network?

You should probably get higher even on the N 2.4ghz under the right conditions.

It's what's hard with wireless... There are so many factors which can effect the speed... Settings, frequency band and any interfearance on it, hardware on the end device, distance from the router, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

That's correct ... The iPad Air 2 is on the 5 GHz network along with 2 Smart TVs. The other devices only see the 2.4 GHz network.