Disabling wireless on Cisco DPC3825 gateway continues to broadcast SSID

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Disabling wireless on Cisco DPC3825 gateway continues to broadcast SSID

I have the Cisco DPC3825 gateway and have no interest in using its wireless capabilities.  I've noticed that even after disabling the wireless network on the gateway, it continues to broadcast.  It's not possible to connect to the gateway at this time, but you will see if when browsing for wireless networks.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?  I'd like to completely disable the wireless transmitter, so I don't have interference issues in the house.

The firmware on my modem is dpc3825-v302r125533-111108a-ROG

EDIT:

I just found that enable bridged mode resolves this issue.  I'll just do that and use my other router.  This is a problem which should be addressed though.  Disabling wireless should disable all transmitting functions.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Disabling wireless on Cisco DPC3825 gateway continues to broadcast SSID

I did  notice this when i had the cisco (have the SMC now) the same thing.  It actualy would turn off.. but seems like overnight would come back on.  Couldnt connect to it while it was disabled.. but as you say, still broadcasting.

Best way to get past this, like you said, is to put it into bridged mode, this pretty much just changes it into a modem and completely disables all other features of it.

I've Been Around

Re: Disabling wireless on Cisco DPC3825 gateway continues to broadcast SSID

This is a somewhat old thread, but i just wanted to do a little update here.

I was doing the same thing as the poster (original). The problem is that if you put the modem into bridge mode, you can not access it anymore, as all the settings are disabled.

Here's how to disable the broadcasting and leaving it in modem mode.

1) Login to the router (hold reset button if you've put it into bridge mode, also if you have done this make sure to change default password)

2) Go to wireless --> radio settings

3) If the wireless interface is disabled, click the enable button

4) At the bottem, click off Broadcast SSID

5) Save changes

6) Click Disable (wireless interface)

7) Save changes.

Hope this helps anyone.