cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling wifi function on pod

Santiman75
I've been here awhile

My Ignite modem is at the centre of my home. My office is at one of the corners of it.

All my devices connect wireless without any issues except for my IP phone that needs a LAN connection so I have a POD in my office for this. now because of this, all my office devices want to connect to the POD as the signal strength is stronger however, the speed to through the pod is horrible! can I disable the wireless broadcasting from the POD and only use the LAN portion of it? so I can keep the LAN but not have devices connect wireless to it??

*Added Labels*

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Disabling wifi function on pod

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are getting horrible speeds off the pod, its badly placed.  It should be closer to the main signal source. (as it only passes on what its receiving)
But this may not help with your location then of your IP phone.

Your best bet then might be to look at something like a landline power adapter?
Where one end can go off a wired port on the modem, then into the adapter.  Then the other adapter near your IP phone, and out of it to the phone. (or to a hub, etc)

Santiman75
I've been here awhile

yes.. I know that this would be the best option, I agree. however I wanted to use what i have and not need to purchase extra equipment as the pod is quite convenient .. IF i can disable the wifi on it.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Santiman75 wrote:

yes.. I know that this would be the best option, I agree. however I wanted to use what i have and not need to purchase extra equipment as the pod is quite convenient .. IF i can disable the wifi on it.

I don't think that it is possible to put a Pod in to the configuration that you want.  The Pods were specifically designed to be a node in a WiFi mesh network and this requires that they act as a WiFi access point.

What you are really looking for is an "Ethernet to WiFi bridge", sometimes also called an "Ethernet to WiFi adapter".  Many ($25 - $30) WiFi Range Extenders can also be configured to serve this purpose as well.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation