Disable IPv6 on CGN3 due to Wireless Printer issues (Canon PIXMA MG3520)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Disable IPv6 on CGN3 due to Wireless Printer issues (Canon PIXMA MG3520)

Well, in that case congratulations.  You are the only person on the forum who has indicated that they have been successful in wireless printing with the CGN3.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible maybe that the brother printer doesnt use multicast?

As that seems to be where the issues stems from.

(as other multicast devices like chromecasts, etc, seem to have issues as well)

I'm a Regular

kitty, i thought you mentioned something about a wireless printer once... unless it was wired to the router...

by the way, i'm not kidding about the brother printer... it works great on a WiFi connection two floors above the CGN3

its a brother MFCJ435W

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a wireless one, which works fine... with the CGN3, non bridged.

BUT my wireless is through my own wireless AP.

So multicasting works on the ROUTER as a whole, just not over the wireless part.

Different wireless printers may use different protocols, etc.
IE:  I know a good portion of the ones that have come on here asking about it, are on HP units.. which most of them support BONJOUR and some of them Apple Print... which DOES need multicasting.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi guys,

My version is curently at 4.2.4.3 so I guess I'll need to wait.

jezentir, I tried what you asked for and couldn't find the printer on an IP. I ran a whole network tool to sniff around for an active IP and still nada. Did the reset and also looked for it, and still nope.

I guess my only best best is to wait for this new version to be dropped on mine.

Thanks a ton for the help guys!

I'm a Regular

have you checked your WPS setting in the CGN3's Wireless pages?  Make sure its turned off on both your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

the UPnP setting is on the second page of Basic Settings... i.e. the Gateway page... it has to be on

then try to connect your Canon again

I'm assuming you are using the Cableless Setup procedure starting on page 9 of the following to connect your Canon (i would reload the drivers as well just in case):

http://www.canon.ca/support_images/KB_Images/MG3520/setup_mg3520_win.pdf

By the way, I don't see where you enter your network password... it has to go in somewhere... or does it?

EDITED:

According to these instructions, it says you don't need the network ID or password... it must pick it up from your connected device somehow:

Getting Your Multifunction Back On Your Network After A Router Or Network Change

http://www.canon.ca/support_images/KB_Images/MG3520/router_change_MG3520_win.pdf

once your done, you should see your Canon appear in the list of wireless devices on the Basic Settings page in your router under Connected Devices at the bottom of the page (click on Basic next to Status on the black menu bar after logging in)

if you've already gone through all this, then disregard

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey man, thanks a ton!
Yes, tried that from that same PDF. It connected via WPS, and not sure if I mentioned it.. even though it gives the solid blue light (which means it's successfully connected to the wifi network), I still don't see it on the devices page of the CGN3 and neither am I able to ping using your suggestion. 😞

Yes, uPNP is active. Used WPS as the cableless was a lot more complicated.
I'm a Regular

hmmm... just to be sure, i EDITED my post and added a second pdf link under

Getting Your Multifunction Back On Your Network After A Router Or Network Change

http://www.canon.ca/support_images/KB_Images/MG3520/router_change_MG3520_win.pdf

i don't like automatic stuff, you never know what its doing

note:  my printer doesn't always show up in the Connected Devices list

try the Wireless Clients button at the bottom of the Wireless page in Status and see if you can figure out if your printers Mac Address is appearing in the list

I'm a Regular

here's a longshot... delete all your wireless connections stored in your computer, old and new, and start over by connecting the computer first via WiFi ... then follow the Start Setup Again procedure for the printer

the big question is:  how does the Canon know what router to connect to if there is more than one nearby?  it has to use your computers connection somehow to get the SSID and password aka passphrase?... something doesn't seem right with this procedure though, not at all

you may have to do the USB connection method according to this pdf to find your network and get the password loaded:

http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/wireless/SetupUsingUSB.pdf

that's probably your best bet

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only other thing i can think.

When i change my network.. i needed to RESET my HP printer for it to re-connnect to another one.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation