Disable IPv6 on CGN3 due to Wireless Printer issues (Canon PIXMA MG3520)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Disable IPv6 on CGN3 due to Wireless Printer issues (Canon PIXMA MG3520)

After a lot of troubleshooting and being on the phone with Canon, I have one last thing I would like to try and that is to disable IPv6 on the Hitronhub CGN3. 

Somehow I suspect that IPv6 is causing trouble. Problem is I cannot figure out how to disable IPv6 on this modem.

Help please?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Disable IPv6 on CGN3 due to Wireless Printer issues (Canon PIXMA MG3520)

The CGN3 does not support wireless printing.  It appears that the wireless multicast required to support it is not functional at this time.  Something to keep in mind, rumour has it that there will be a firmware update before the end of the year.  Current version is 4.2.4.3   I would personally question releasing a new firmware version during the holiday season, but, we'll see what happens.  Hopefully it will address issues such as this.

Take a read through my summary (posting #134) for the CGN3 if you haven't done so already.  It might explain any other questions that you might have:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

If you connect a printer to the CGN3, you can still print from wireless devices through the CGN3.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

If you want to update that list of shortcomings here are a few more that you might like to add:

• Inability to forward port 8080 as it is used by the CGN3
  • The CGN3 can cause problems with VOIP adapters requiring forwarding of additional ports which is generally not required with third party routers.

I also believe there are a maximum number of ports that can be forwarded that might be a bit low for power users - something like 10-15.  But I have never tested that as I am running in Bridge mode.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

thanks, I 'll have to add that to the list. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late response!

This is quite sad that Rogers hasn't figure this out yet - and a firmware update around Christmas? Wow. Let's see if that's even possible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The next version firmware, Version 4.2.4.5 has been released and is being pushed out to CGN3s.  There is no way for the user to know when the firmware will be loaded on his or her CGN3 however.  Hopefully this version will address the printing problem.

I'm a Regular

I have a Brother connected to my CGN3 through WiFi without any problems at all

find the i.p. address and try pinging it

then try accessing the printer web interface through your browser using the i.p.

mine happens to be http://192.168.0.13 ... try 10 through 15 if your having trouble finding your printer's i.p. ... you should be able to get it from your printer's network settings

if you are sure your printer is not connecting, make sure you have UPnP enabled

if all else fails, try a factory reset and start over
I'm a Regular

I have a Brother connected to my CGN3 through WiFi without any problems at all

find the i.p. address and try pinging it

then try accessing the printer web interface through your browser using the i.p.

mine happens to be 192.168.0.13 ... try 10 through 15 if your having trouble finding your printer's i.p. ... you should be able to get it from your printer's network settings

if you are sure your printer is not connecting, make sure you have UPnP enabled in the CGN3 Basic Settings, Gateway tab

if all else fails, try a factory reset and start over

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is that brother printer connected via wire to the CGN3 or not and/or are you running windows 8 / 8.1 on a pc to accomplish that?  It is possible to print on a wireless printer if it connected via ethernet cable to the CGN3.  Numerous people have tried to run printers completely via wireless (no ethernet connection) only to discover that the wireless multicast required to support wireless printing does not work on the CGN3.  Until the next version firmware is loaded, there is no point to running a factory reset as it will not change the lack of support for wireless multicast in the current firmware version which is 4.2.4.3

Windows 8.1 does support Wifi Direct printing.  So if your printer also supports that particular mode, you won't need to use a router to print from a pc or laptop if it / they are running windows 8 / 8.1.  Here are a couple of links to sites on Windows 8 / 8.1 direct printing:

http://www.howtogeek.com/178691/htg-explains-what-is-wi-fi-direct-and-how-does-it-work/?PageSpeed=no...

http://www.trishtech.com/2014/09/connect-wireless-printers-in-windows-8/

I'm a Regular

the brother printer is connected WiFi to the CGN3... that's what I said... connected to the CGN3 through WiFi

my entire home network is wireless

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation