cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices won't find network after power outage CODA-4582

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor

This problem has only appeared recently.
MODEM: CODA-fortywhatever..the big white one.

Up until about a month ago, if there was a power outage, once the modem came back up, all of my wireless devices would happily rejoin the network.

Recently, however (and yesterday into today most recently) some devices will NOT reconnect, specifically a Harmony hub and a Lennox smart thermostat. A Roku tv can be coaxed back eventually. Everything else reconnects automatically

I've rebooted the modem, and I've gone through the setup processes on the affected devices. Prior to the outage, there were no special settings on the modem or devices to get them to work - modem settings were those pretty much out of the box. Devices are on surge protectors.

Any ideas? Do I need to swap the modem?

***EDITED LABELS***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Devices won't find network after power outage CODA-4582

RogersCorey

Good afternoon @Lurker!

It's scary when devices stop functioning as they used to after a power outage. Been there, fetal position on the floor, thinking the worst. If everything else reconnects except these two specific devices right after a power outage, I'd be leaning towards thinking those devices are damaged. A power outage is a likely time for a surge to happen. 

How old are your surge protectors? They can only withstand so many surges before they leave your connected equipment unshielded. Have you tried plugging the power of these devices directly into an outlet to see if you can get any action that way?

Before you consider swapping the modem, I would recommend a factory reset of the modem and the problem devices first. I don't suspect the modem to be defective in this case but if all else fails, you can always swap your modem at the nearest Rogers store.

Keep us updated @Lurker

Regards,

RogersCorey

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor
I'll try moving the Harmony hub when I get the chance.

The thermostat is another story and will be hard to test. The other issue....my laptop also has a hard time reconnecting to WiFi after an outage..and with this outage, it wasn't plugged in so I cant blame it on power surges...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How's the WiFi signal on the affected devices?  How's the speed on the Laptop once you are connected. Does it matter where you are in the home with the Laptop - check various locations?  Since your other devices are working, I would suspect WiFi dead spots or something similar. Certain devices may not be as robust when it comes to weaker WiFi signals.

With a lot more people using WiFi devices, your neighbours and your own devices may be having an effect on connectivity.  I recently installed Powerline adaptors (with WiFi) to remedy a situation in my basement.  See the following summary post and other recent posts in that thread...

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/51-home-computing/171986-powerline-adapter-discussions-2.html#post3...

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor
The devices that won't reconnect are fairly close to the CODA....signal strength shouldn't be an issue.

Plus, this is a recent issue...these devices have never had an issue reconnecting before..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lurker : 1. Just as a test, try the laptop in different areas of the home for speedtest and looking at the WiFi signal strength.

2. Just because something is recent doesn't mean that it points in only one direction. For example, my issue with the basement WiFi was fine until recently, but then some straw broke the camel's back (like a neighbour's equipment, etc) and I needed to do something about it.

3. BTW, I forgot to mention that Powerline adapters are not a panacea, just that they helped in my case.  Good luck finding your problem.  I hope @Datalink sees this thread as he's usually quite insightful and much more knowledgeable than I, when it comes to these things.

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor
The thermostat came back on it's own somehow.

The Harmony hub is still being stubborn, so I have no idea.

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor
So, after a week of not having the Harmony hub work properly, one of my Google Home Minis also wouldn't connect anymore.

As well, I kept experiencing multiple disconnects during the day.

So, I gave up on the CODA's wireless, bridged it, and bought a Netgear ORBI system

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

In the past when I had these type of issues, I would do the following:

- turn off all devices

- turn on the modem and let it boot up

- turn on the other devices and let it connect.  

Sometimes it has to do with the signal or if a router/device didn't boot correctly after a power outage.  Those quick blips can be be a pain.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation