cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell laptop does not recognize Rogers network after install Ignite

Norbert3
I've been here awhile

After changing from a Roger's Legacy modem to an Ignite modem my Dell laptop does not recognize any Rogers network ( it sees other locked networks just not Rogers) to get internet even though it was connecting well before the change. All other laptops and computers we have at home, see the new Roger's Ignite network and are able to connect.
Any suggestions how to fix?

***Edited Labels***

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Dell laptop does not recognize Rogers network after install Ignite

dmfan
I plan to stick around

I assume you are talking about WiFi, not ethernet.

Does the Dell laptop support dual band 2.4 ghz & 5 ghz or single band?  Do you know what frequeency your other gadgets at home are connecting at?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sometimes, when you switch modems or routers, you might have to delete the wifi network profiles in windows 10 so that you can connect to the new modem or router.  After deleting the existing networks, and by that I mean the network profiles that exist within, or are stored by Windows 10, reboot the pc/laptop and reconnect after the reboot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=delete+the+wifi+network+profiles+in+windows+10&oq=delete+the+wifi+ne...

Norbert3
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the info. Deleted all the networks that were shown, rebooted and still do not see my new Rogers Ignite network ( even though I see 1/2 dozen other locked networks). Added my new Roger's network manually, rebooted and it still does not come up on my list to be able to connect to the internet. Any other suggestions?

@Norbert3 can you:

1.  Have a look at the bottom of the modem for the modem model number.  Please post the modem model;

2.  Log into the modem and have a look at both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi modes, ie: b/g/n/ac   Please post the modes for both networks.

3.  Have a look for wifi bandsteering. It should be enabled.  I don't use that modem but I suspect that there should be bandsteering enable/disable options for both networks.  Please confirm that bandsteering is enabled.

4.  For the laptop please post the laptop model;

5.  For the laptop please drill down into the Device Manager and grab the exact wifi adapter model so I can look up the specs.

6.  Drill down into the adapter settings and have a look for a preferred network setting.  It will either be set for 2.4 or 5 Ghz if its there. 

What was your previous modem?  A black Hitron CGN3 modem or the white CODA-4582 modem?  

I suspect that Bandsteering is enabled in the modem and it might not be doing you any favours at the present time.  You might have to disable Bandsteering, rename one of the networks to split the networks into two separate networks so that the laptop wifi adapter operates as one would expect it to, recognizing both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.

Can you install Winfi Lite from https://www.helge-keck.com/

It the laptop has an ethernet port, it will be easy to do.  If not, you'll have to download that with another pc or laptop, put it on a USB stick and then load it on the laptop.  When that's installed, fire it up and have a look at the received network list to see exactly what the laptop is detecting.  The 2.4 and 5 Ghz buttons at the top of the application can be used to show the 2.4 or 5 Ghz networks only, instead of all networks.  With both selected, I suspect that you should show both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks with the same name.  If not, then possibly Bandsteering is an issue.  List the networks by using the RSSI column title as a sort command.  Selecting the title will sort the data by received power, either up or down.  The RSSI is a negative data column, 0 dBmW at the top, -90 dBmW at the bottom.  Your networks should show up at the top, around -25/30 dBmW.  

Winfi Lite should show what networks the laptop can detect, instead of what the Windows list is showing.  

Ok, lets start with that, and go from there.  

Norbert3
I've been here awhile

Thanks. Spoke with Rogers IT yesterday and they were able to debug their modem. Looks like my laptop was not compatible with their Wi-Fi 6 technology. They turned this off and was then able to see the Rogers network and connect.

bigbuk
I've been around

I am having the same problem with my laptop EXCEPT that it initially recognized the network then 24 hrs later it is gone. The technician came, checked both frequencies, no luck. They replaced the Gateway and it worked again for 24hrs and now it is gone again. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How old a laptop?  Wondering if its a 2.4 only card in it?
And that its not playing nicely with the band steering on the modems.. and not auto negotiating properly and trying to connect to the 5ghz when it cant.

We are having the exact same issue as the author of the original question. Even had the the Toshiba laptop serviced by a PC technician, whom restored the laptop to factory original condition with a new version of Windows 10. We still do not see our new Rogers network listed on this laptop. Is it time for a new laptop or is there a fix to resolve this issue?

@Msemwilliams wrote:

We are having the exact same issue as the author of the original question. Even had the the Toshiba laptop serviced by a PC technician, whom restored the laptop to factory original condition with a new version of Windows 10. We still do not see our new Rogers network listed on this laptop. Is it time for a new laptop or is there a fix to resolve this issue?

Hi!  Welcome to the Community!

What is the model number of your Toshiba laptop?  There could be issues connecting to WiFi if you have a REALLY old laptop, but I would not expect a laptop that is capable of running Windows 10 to have such issues.  Once we look up the specs, we can advise further.

Which Ignite gateway do you have?  The white XB7 or the black XB6?  If you have the XB7, it's possible that your laptop may have a chipset that has interoperability issues with WiFi 6 networks.

Also, do you see ANY other WiFi networks in your areas?  If not, if no WiFi networks are visible, then double-check if you have a physical switch on your laptop that either disables WiFi or disconnects the antenna.

bwreid
I'm here a lot

i have just installed the black ignite and my toshiba can find the net work how do i get the technical dept to debug the router for that 6 thing mentioned in this blog 

i think i have the same problem with wifi 6 technology as my toshiba laptop  works fine with the old ignite 75 box and exculink box who do you contact to turn the wifi6 off

bwreid
I'm here a lot

who do you contact to turn off wifi6 as my laptop doesnt support it

Good day @bwreid !

Thanks for joining the conversation! 🙂

It sounds like you are trying to disable the band-steering feature on your Ignite modem. Please have a look at this post as it provides a possible workaround. Please note, this option is only valid if you DO NOT have any WiFi pods connected to your internet services. 

If you run into any issues, please let us know.

Cheers!

RogersYasmine

Elife
I'm here a lot

My two Dell laptops, Toshiba laptop, and Samsung tablet don't see their network either. Can't find out why, as all the adapters, drivers, and security protocols are compatible with the modem and wi-fi 6.

Should I do the same for windows 8? Will it fix the problem?

Elife
I'm here a lot
Have you figured it out? I have the same problem.

Hello, @Elife.

Thank you for joining this discussion, and welcome to our Community!

Certain devices using Intel WiFi adapters may not see the home network when the drivers are not current. I understand you mentioned they are compatible with WiFi 6, but have you tried updating them? 

As a temporary solution, you can split bands by renaming the 5 GHz network. Then, check if your devices can see and connect to the 2.4 GHz network. If they do connect, revert the changes made to the 5 GHz network and toggle off the split bands option. 

If you require further assistance, don't hesitate to private message us. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

bwreid
I'm here a lot

I had same problem changed ignite box and everything else the technician eventually hooked up a den ignite wifi pod in my den where I was able to use my laptop with an Ethernet cord.he was excellent

Rhe2
I've been here awhile

DELL LAPTOP – ROGERS IGNITE PROBLEM –- THE $39 FIX

Although my DELL laptop successfully connected to a new Rogers Ignite modem when an IGNITE Bundle was professionally installed, within a day the connection mysteriously ended and the IGNITE Wi-Fi option no longer existed in the list of Wi-Fi options available for the laptop to connect to.

Moving the laptop closer to the white modem and speaking with a very patient and helpful Rogers technical support advisor did not fix the problem.  Downloading the latest MS Windows 10 updates and DELL driver updates (via the DELL SupportAssist for PCs website) failed to make the IGNITE Wi-Fi connection option appear. 

I took my sister’s sound advice and found $39 to purchase a D-Link AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi USB Adapter from a local electronics/television/computer shop.  (There was at least one other model there that provided greater speed for additional cost.)  Noting that installation of the product, which resembles a 3-inch thumb drive, required use a CD-ROM drive, a DELL DVD Drive was eventually purchased for about $50.  (Drivers for the Adapter were also available in a ZIP file on the internet; however, I encountered difficulty finding a SetUp file so I stopped fooling around and wisely purchased the DVD Drive.)

The easy-to-follow instruction manual that came with the Adapter noted that the drivers on the CD had to be installed before the Adapter was plugged into the computer.  Within ten minutes the installation process was complete (without having to make a deep-dive into my computer settings and make all kinds of technical changes that could have resulted in a disastrous loss of my laptop’s ability to function). 

With the installation complete, a search of the available Wi-Fi connection options revealed that there were now two groups of Wi-Fi connections:  Wi-Fi 1 and Wi-Fi 2, with a “down arrow” to switch effortlessly between the two groups of Wi-Fi connections.  The IGNITE connection was among those in the Wi-Fi 2 group. 

Selection of the IGNITE Wi-Fi connection and insertion of the Rogers password resulted in – SUCCESS!   Hopefully, long-term success.    

i recently switched to rogers from teksavvy and really miss tek's tech support. Rogers was no help.  I talked with them twice about this issue.  I can see everyone's wifi network except mine.  I was told they had no solution.  Second time i asked if swapping my wifi card would work and they said to talk to Dell.  I got a TP Link mini wifi usb dongle for my Dell......fired right up....working great. $25 off amazon.  Previously rogers said my Dell would only support 2.4g.  Now I have both 2.4 and 5.  I still have no idea why I can find my printer, my neighbour's and the church next door's wifi......but not rogers.  I even tested it at the library....no problem.

Hello, @sonicpix 

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We can definitely provide you with some information about why your Dell laptop is not able to connect.

Our gateway modems use bandsteering which allows devices to switch between 2.4G and 5G Wi-Fi bands seamlessly. Devices that are not compatible with 5G Wi-Fi may not be able to connect to Wi-Fi networks with bandsteering turned on. The Wi-Fi adaptor you bought will definitely help remedy this issue.

You can also disable the bandsteering on your modem by following the steps here. If you are using Wi-Fi Pods then bandsteering cannot be disabled.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 14 in conversation