cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Device off Network

Jamiesmith1976
I plan to stick around

I have a Samsung device on my network which I have no idea who owns it. I can't forget it because it's still connected to the network how can I disconnect it from the network so I can forget it?

*** Edited Labels ***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Delete device off Network

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. Just took a look and yeah you can not forget the device while connected.

My best guess right now, would be isolate it.
Make a dummy profile, and assign that device to it.
Then PAUSE all the network connectivity on it.
IF its a device that you or someone in the house is using in some form, you'll find out 🙂
And worse case, will disable whoever is accessing it, if malicious.

Re: Delete Device off Network

cjglevesque
I've been around
This is not a solution. I have a Amazon Kindle paused, not ours. I added it to a dummy profile but, its still does not remove it. This is a Roger's screw up. I want this device removed. Tell me how?

Hello, @cjglevesque 

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We can definitely help you manage your network and get that device disconnected.

If you do not have access to the device the fastest way would be to change your Wi-Fi password. This will disconnect that device from your network.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony wrote:

If you do not have access to the device the fastest way would be to change your Wi-Fi password. This will disconnect that device from your network.

@Jamiesmith1976 @cjglevesque  This would need to be a permanent password change, not a temporary change, and this will also disconnect EVERY device on your network.

If you do a temporary change, just to disconnect the unknown device so that you can "Forget" it and remove it from the device list, it will still be able to reconnect as soon as you revert the password.

It's also possible that those devices are showing as connected due to a glitch with the Ignite HomeConnect cloud-based management.  Several months ago, I noticed some weird things happening, along with unknown devices showing up in my device list.  I got kinda freaked out, completely disabled Wi-Fi, deleted ALL devices in my device list through the app, factory-reset my Ignite Gateway, had Wi-Fi disabled and had NOTHING connected to my gateway, not even over Ethernet, then continued to get notifications (on the Ignite HomeConnect app, with an iPhone connected over cellular data) of unknown devices connecting to my network despite there not being any way for those devices to connect.  I reported this to Rogers and they took action to reset things in the back-end.

How can I delete a device without changing my password??

@Dissatisfied26 wrote:
How can I delete a device without changing my password??

I don't think that you can "forget" a device unless it is disconnected.  You can temporarily disable Wi-Fi and wait for the device to lose connectivity, or unplug your Ignite Gateway... but you would also need a mobile device with alternate network connectivity in order to use the HomeConnect app to remove the device from your list of connected devices after it drops off the network.

Keep in mind that unless you change your Wi-Fi password, that the device will still be able to rejoin your Wi-Fi network at any time.

My printer constantly disconnects from wifi, but shows “connected” in the app, troubleshooting the connection says it’s “not connected” but it still won’t let me “forget device” because it still somehow sees it as connected… so frustrating that I can’t use my printer… this was not a problem with Shaw … I’ve even unplugged the printer to try and reset it and it still says “connected” and will not forget it

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DGF3001 wrote:
My printer constantly disconnects from wifi, but shows “connected” in the app, troubleshooting the connection says it’s “not connected” but it still won’t let me “forget device” because it still somehow sees it as connected… so frustrating that I can’t use my printer… this was not a problem with Shaw … I’ve even unplugged the printer to try and reset it and it still says “connected” and will not forget it

You can force a device offline by unplugging it, then rebooting the Ignite Gateway.  This is kinda drastic but will cause the device to go into a Disconnected state so that you can "forget" it in the HomeConnect app.

While the Ignite Gateway is powered down, you can also try resetting the network config on the printer.  After you "forget" the device, try reconnecting your printer to Wi-Fi.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 in conversation