Degradation in upload speed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Degradation in upload speed

@AtlantisSRT4

If by "redropping the line", you mean switching the line from the pole in the backyard area to my demarc box, they did that 2 day ago.

Roughly an hour ago, I logged onto Discord, and my friends told me my voice was robot-like.

For about half an hour:

The supervisor recommended me to swap out my modem, as it is an older CGN3, but I already had this issue with a CGNM-3552.

It's been two whole months of cat and mouse, tech visits, maintenance work, and hours of cumulative time spent on the phone with tech support. Apparently, I'm the only one with this issue, even though tons of other people report upload issues (most notably Twitch).

The next step Rogers offered to do was to install a line monitoring device (I'm assuming a SamKnows box), but I declined. I'm sick of this whole ordeal.

I don't think it's a coincidence that these upload issues got much worse when Rogers started pushing these ridiculous promotions to catch up with Bell.

I will be taking my business to Bell.

I Plan to Stick Around

Why is it so bad and what steps should I/Can I take?  I unplugged the Coda-4582, waited a minute and then plugged it back in.  But still the bad speeds.

I used Speedtest.net with the Rogers Toronto server and Netflash from Kitchener, which is nearest to me.  I achieved the same speeds and pathetic upload from both.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@X-Nemesis call tech support, indicate what you're seeing for data rates and ask the Customer Support Rep to run a signal check on the modem. 

Ask the CSR to look specifically at the DOCSIS 3.1 data and ask if the modem is running in DOCSIS 3.1 mode (which it should be in), or if its in combo mode running DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1, or if its in DOCSIS 3.0 mode only.  Each one of those will indicate different issues.  DOCSIS 3.1 mode indicates an issue with the OFDM channel which runs in the 275 to 467 Mhz range (roughly), combo mode indicates that the DOCSIS 3.1 channel doesn't have enough bandwidth to provide the expected data rates (overloaded CMTS??), and DOCSIS 3.0 mode indicates that the OFDM channel can't support a QAM level of 64.  That could be a problem with the signal levels and / or a problem with in channel noise.  

So, first step is to start with tech support and see what turns up. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, I'll give them a call and check on the tips you've given.

Good morning @X-Nemesis!

Have you had an opportunity to call in yet for support or is this issue still ongoing?

We can always assist you right here over the forums if you prefer that over calling in! Please PM us @CommunityHelps if you're interested. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm Here A Lot

Upload speed / performance is intermittently unusable and I cannot get Rogers to figure it out

This is not a problem with the modem or anything in the house. I have been dealing with this issue for many months which I have detailed here. There is a problem with Rogers exterior lines. This is a nightmare because every time you call rogers you have to start from scratch.

I have been dealing with this issue for 4 months now. I have had 3 separate visits from rogers technicians who all confirm its not an issue with my modem or anything within the home itself. It was fixed after the second visit when Rogers sent out the service team to repair the exterior lines. Not the ones running to my house but the main ones. I even got a call from them after saying they figured it out and it should be fine. It was fine but a month later it came back. As a side not the first time I called they made me go out and get a brand new modem which of course didn't fix it. 

Here is a screen recording of the current situation:

Link contains public IP address; removed for privacy concerns - RogersMoin

So having no proper record of the issue, I had to have yet another support person come to the house and once again they could not figure out any issue with the modem. It was explained to be after visit 2 when they seemed to have fixed it that there is a problem with the main lines. And the problem does not show up on Rogers telemetry so the tech support person on the phone never sees anything wrong. 

So I am stuck in this never ending cycle of:

1. upload speed drops off completely
  2. call rogers
  3. 25 minute call with the support agent to go through the usual support troubleshooting (restart modem, plug directly in, they run all sorts of tests that come up empty)
  4. Support sends over a person
  5. Person cannot find any issue aside from seeing the terrible performance
  6. Issue resolves itself for a few days or maybe a week at a time

What do I do next? I cannot spend hours again going through this. Does anyone else have this issue? If it was fixed by the line maintenance people why can't they fix it again?

I'm Here A Lot

@RogersCorey or @RogersMoin any thoughts on what I should do next. Obviously a 4th service call is not the answer. Is there any ability for Rogers to fix this issue?

I'm Here A Lot

Figured I would mentioned that at this particular moment the upload speed is back up to 10MB or so. I have not done anything internally.

Hello @stueynet!

We would need to take a look into the history of this issue and examine the notes on your account before we could begin to provide our thoughts on where to go next with this.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can further assist. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I've Been Around

I'm having the same problem. I'm on call 7 of this cycle and they just decided to send a tech.

They've said there is a problem in my area, but then when the person I speak with refers it to maintenance or a higher tier they say they can't find an issue.

How much longer do I have to ride this hamster wheel for? Has anyone solved it yet?