Degradation in Upload Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Degradation in Upload Speeds

I am having same problem. So sad. I can not upload. I have a package of 30 Mbps on upload and I get between 3-5.

In the last two days technician have been 2 times to check outside but did not do anything. Tomorrow is coming again. 😞

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GabrielGorcea   what modem to you currently have?  A black Hitron modem where the modem model is found on the product sticker on the back of the modem, a white Hitron CODA-4582 (there is only 1 white modem that Rogers uses), or one of the XB6 modems where the modem model is found on the bottom of the modem. It will be either an Arris TG-3482ER, or Technicolor CGM-4140COM.

If you have a Hitron modem, log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab and copy the whole signal level table, from the start of the Downstream Overview line all the way to the very bottom right hand corner of the entire table.  If you have a CGN3xxx modem, that bottom section will be the Upstream Overview section.  If you have the white Hitron CODA-4582, that bottom section will be the OFDM/OFDMA Overview section.  

If you have an XB6 modem, have a look at the following instructions by @mozerd and myself to navigate to the signal data so that you can copy and paste it in a post.  

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32715001-Rogers-BlueCurve-Gateway-Issues

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Countless service calls, four technician visits, and one replaced Hitron modem later I've decided to quit and move to Bell. This is a systemic Rogers issue. The bizarre thing is that everyone on the Rogers side told me that the problem is on my end. Until the last senior guy who, after some chatting and testing, admitted that my entire neighbourhood cluster shows up red and that there are problems shown on their screen for everyone up and down the street. I was told that they need to send out a team to look into the entire zone. But I doubt that this will solve the problem. My guess is that the grid is simply on its knees. I'm sorry that this is happening. Clearly, these are unprecedented times with COVID and so many people woking from home. But I would expect there to be extra capacity for exactly those kinds of situations. Bye Rogers!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm about ready to switch to Bell as well.

I'm paying for gigabit, I've been happy it's been normal until a month ago. Now, speeds with a direct Ethernet connection to the router are between 100-400 and upload max at 5mbps. It's frustrating.

Calling Rogers was no help, they said its the modem, but after swapping it, it's not. I just wasted my time, it's obvious they're throttling.

I'm calling Bell this week to get a quote on their fibe, I'll give Rogers one last chance to fix this before I change over.
Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Getting the same issue upload has dropped a lot I’m in the North York area Donmills area
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm located at Bathurst and St. Clair. Measured again periodically today via a short CAT6 cable connection directly attached to the Hitron. No faster than 1-2 Mbps throughout the day. Bell Fibe 1.5 is scheduled arrive on Thursday. Counting the days...

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Lucky u man... soon as we move from here I’m done with Rogers
Highlighted

Hey @squadz!

Reading through your post was definitely painful :(. I can't believe you were advised to exchange your modem for a throughput issue. I'm just at a loss for words. I can't apologize enough for this and it's clear the ball was dropped. If the decision hasn't yet been fully made to jump ship, I'd love the opportunity to speak with you via PMing @CommunityHelps. I'm confident I can assist in getting to the bottom of the speed concern for you.

The same goes for any other within the thread experiencing throughput concerns. I know first hand what it's like to see such an impact in your home service and I've quite a breadth of experience getting to the bottom of it. 

Some troubleshooting tips for anyone looking to narrow it down these may assist:

1) Disconnect 3rd Party Devices (Router/Switch)

It's important to note here that it's not to place blame on said devices, merely to assist in narrowing/enabling visibility of the potential issue within the network.

2) Log Into Your Modem

• Open up your preferred browser (Chrome is recommended) and navigate to this url: http://192.168.0.1
    If you have an IgniteTV XB6 modem however, navigate to http://10.0.0.1  

• Logging in to legacy modems: CISCO DPC3825 / CGN2
    Username: cusadmin
    Password: password

• Logging in to CGN and newer modems: (CGN3/CGNACR/CGNACSMR/CGNM)
    Username: cusadmin
    Password: This will be your WiFi password 

• IgniteTV XB6A/T
    Username: Admin
    Password: This will be your WiFi password

- Once you're logged in navigate to the "Switch"

You'll want to confirm here that your wired device is being registered as a 1000Mbps device.

- Then Navigate to "Connected Devices"
You'll want to confirm here that your 5G connected device has a high/appropriate bitrate
 - Lastly navigate to your WAN STATUS page to review your downstream and upstream levels.

• Downstream Overview: A total of 32 channels should be here with an expected Signal Strength (dBmV) between -13.5 and 12 and an SNR above 38dBmv.
  • If you are DOCSIS 3.1 ENABLED (Viewable under OFDM Downstream Overview) this should be between -13 and 11dBmV.
  • Upstream Overview: A minimum of 3 and a maximum of 4 channels should be visible here. Not all areas will have 4 channels available/enabled. This range should be between 35dBmV (As low as 32 is acceptable during warmer seasons) and 52dBmV. Upstream SNR is only visible by Rogers technical employees.
  • If you’re not seeing all channels or a channel is outside of this range, then you may have located an issue. Feel free to provide a copy of these results within the Forums.

3) Run a Speed Test With 2 Devices at the Same Time.

http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.htm

http://www.speedtest.net

Both sites are powered by Ookla and guaranteed to find the closest server to you for the most accurate results!

• How do speed tests work? – When running a speed test, a consistent stream of small pieces of information, known as packets, are sent and downloaded from the closest server obtainable by the site. The device you’re using will attempt to draw as much throughput as is available from the network at that time and for the duration of the test. At the end you’ll be provided with the result of the test.
  • What Device(s) to use? – A wired computer with a Gigabit network adapter/card as the primary is necessary. Connect this with an ethernet cable from your device to your Rogers modem.
  • Running your test – We recommend running the speed test with 2 separate devices at the same time. Either both wired with each having a Gigabit network card or, if unable, the second device can be a cell phone or tablet connected to WiFi using your 5Ghz frequency. Let us know if that’s the case and what the device / model is.
  • Why two devices? – Each device running will attempt to pull the maximum throughput it can based on what’s available. If the speed available combined exceeds that which can be seen on one device, this confirms for us the network availability vs what your device is seeing.

Definitely let me know if you have any further questions and share your results here with the community. Reach out to support or us here @CommunityForums if you happen to see any visible issues as mentioned.

@RogersAndy

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Why are you asking customers who

- have been under quarantine now for weeks and months
- might be handling and homeschooling kids without childcare on top of work duties
- could be worrying about their own job security at this point
- might be charged with additional care duties for an elderly loved one
- might be essential or frontline workers needing a Rogers line to help keep people safe
- may have already lost a job due to the economy and are trying to get re-employed

to “troubleshoot” issues that are very likely structural in nature and that they can't possibly fix for Rogers? 

Most of us have already wasted days and weeks on the phone with Rogers callcenter people, spent times with on-site technicians, ran tests, reinstalled modems, returned modems. All to uphold the illusion that somehow the problem is not infrastructural.

When you see the sheer volume of complaints on this forum and elsewhere all pointing to degraded upload speeds, isn't it becoming totally self-evident to you that one more reset, restart, systems check, modem exchange, or support call is not going to fix the problem? 

This is really frustrating. And it's also tone-deaf.