cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daisy-Chain 2 Switches to Ignite Modem

SSBG
I've been here awhile

I have a CGM4140 Technicolor modem connected to a 16 port TP-Link switch. 2 of these ports are dropped to a room ~30 ft away and I need another network port in the room. It is not practical to run another cable. Can I connect  one of these dropped ports to any old  5 port switch  and if so would I need a cross-over cable. 

Thanks for any suggestions.      

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Daisy-Chain 2 Switches to Ignite Modem

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SSBG  Yes, you can connect one switch to another switch to antother....  (When interconnecting LAN switches, the repeater rule does not apply.  There are other technical limitations but nothing that you would typically see in a home network.)  Many Fast Ethernet (100 Mb/s) LAN switches have at least one Auto MDI-X port, which will allow you to uplink the switch to another with a standard patch cable.  Gigabit Ethernet uses all four pairs in a the patch cable, so the standard also allows you to interconnect switches without the need for a crossover cable.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SSBG  Yes, you can connect one switch to another switch to antother....  (When interconnecting LAN switches, the repeater rule does not apply.  There are other technical limitations but nothing that you would typically see in a home network.)  Many Fast Ethernet (100 Mb/s) LAN switches have at least one Auto MDI-X port, which will allow you to uplink the switch to another with a standard patch cable.  Gigabit Ethernet uses all four pairs in a the patch cable, so the standard also allows you to interconnect switches without the need for a crossover cable.

SSBG
I've been here awhile
Thanks. I will now go and spend some money!
Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 in conversation