Daily Multiple Dropped Connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Daily Multiple Dropped Connection

My internet connection has been dropping several times a day, regardless of the time of day, for something like two years now. I have reached boiling point. I've phoned Rogers countless times and every time I'm given a different solution that never works: replace the router (done it twice already, now they're asking me to do it a third time - I've had my new one for barely a month), firmware updates, changing the channel, changing where it's plugged in, resetting the router, etc. You name it, they've done it and told me that if it doesn't work to call back. I'm sick of calling back. Not once have I been offered to have a technician come over and help.

The connection will drop on all devices, whether connected by cable or wireless (though I will always remain connected to the network itself - it is the connection to the outside that is dropped). It's rarely for more than a minute at a time but when it drops every 10 minutes it gets very frustrating, making me unable to stream, play online and even cutting into my work. 

If I could get some real help with this I would be very grateful, thanks to whoever answers this. I am already very seriously reconsidering having Rogers as my ISP and if this doesn't get fixed soon my decision will be made that much easier; it's a shame because whenever by chance I have a steady connection I am otherwise happy with the service.

Edit: My current router is the Cisco DPC3825

***edited labels***

I've Been Around

Re: Daily Multiple Dropped Connection

I have the same problem, very annoying. I'm thinking of going back to Bell. Called Rogers help, and was offered ridiculous suggestions such as clearing browser cache! Do these people know what they are talking about? I'm experiencing the same problem these days and I'm just wondering what to do now. Ditching Rogers might be the best way to go.

I'm an Advisor

@all:

in cases like this you as the Rogers subscriber have the responsibility to "project manage" the resolution of the issues that arise with your use of Rogers internet access.  Your experiences in this posting, as well as many others recounted in these Forums, clearly demonstrate that point.

So, make sure that on your very first contact with Rogers support you ask for, and record your Rogers incident/case number identification for your call.  This identifier is absolutely critical when you call back to Rogers support on the same problem. 

As you proceed in the troubleshooting process, no matter how tedious it may seem, play along with the Rogers support person as they request you to do what may seem like non-sensical or technically ridiculous steps when trying to resolve your issues.  Especially when you as the subscriber are technically savvy, it is important to "play along" with the requests of the Rogers support tech.  The support tech is not necessarily as knowledgable as you (gasp!).  They have been given a script by their management which they must follow, and we are at their mercy.  I suspect that quite often the support tech him/herself does not understand why they are requesting you to do what they ask.

If at the end of the call, you do not feel that your problem has been resolved, do not allow the support tech to declare it closed.  Ask for escalation to management or higher levels of technical support.  Or reserve the right to call back in later to continue the troubleshooting session.  Your fate as a happy(?) customer is at stake here, and you won't be happy if the problem does not get resolved.

If/when you need to call back to Rogers support in the future on the same matter, be sure to begin the support call by mentioning the fact that this is and ongoing problem, and by referencing the incident/case  number which you obtained previously from Rogers.  One supposes that each Rogers tech records information on support calls, and this record can be retrieved by each Rogers support tech by using the relevant incident/case number.

As always, feel free to post your experiences here, as we may have previous experience that can help.  And by the way, we have no real evidence that Rogers support either does or does not monitor this Forum.  So do not assume that simply posting your issue here will get you a Rogers response.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

i'll be honest, atm, my internet has been up and down, though lately, its been improving.  seeing as u want to switch to bell, i wouldn't do that justtttt yet.  depending on how long u've been with rogers and bell, atm, i can assure u, both customer service/tech support are equally bad.  depending on who answers ur call though.  
from my experience, nearly all my friends started with bell.  in the end, i think 8/10 have switched to rogers, and have been happy, up until the recent month.  there is something going on.. though i have yet to get an answer.. from what i can gather from this forum, and from friends, its really happening in several locations, different towns, and..  or rather... it can affect one house, but the house down the road has no issues

but to switching to bell, due to rogers giving u terrible tech support... oh boy... i've been talking to tech support with bell for the past months for my cell phone issues, and have been talking to customer service, tech support, customer service supervisor, sales rep, assistant manager, reintention(something like that), and now they just gave me a number to CRA? (haven't called due to my busy schedule, and actually quite curious to know what CRA is)  assuming.. it aint the canadian revenue agency

though i do agree, if this keeps up, and there is no fix, i'm going to switch asap, i REALLY wana play some games lag free soon, 

I've Been Around

I must admit I'm glad I'm not the only one.  We have had almost daily dropped connections of home phone, internet and cable.  Sometimes all 3.  I have called multiple times, had a tech out in March and it's still not fixed.  I came home today to 3 hours of no phone or internet.  Cable worked fine.  We are gamers so the loss of internet in the evenings or weekends is painful.  The loss of the phone is just plain scary.  I have a cell, but if I'm not home, in an emergency my husband would have to try the neighbors.  This is not what I'm paying way too much money every month for.  I can now reset the modem in my sleep, as I've done it so many times.  Rogers has one more chance to give me the reliable services I'm paying for.  I had 3 good years with them, but these past few months have been a nightmare.  If they can't fix it, I'm taking my money elsewhere.

I've Been Around

Rogers or any other company will not admit they have an internet problem for obvious legal reasons. We have had our modem replaced, spent hours of the phone and had our plan changed, still our connection drops 15 to 20 times a day. Yes our Cisco router logs connection problems. They may be having problem with the 99 ip block which is blocked by many server, they may be having problems with IPV6. Or they may have a hardware upgrade in progress that is related to the 2013 digital program. Rest assured you will never know, just pay your money and do not pretend they care in any way.

I've Been Around

I have the same problem and driving me nuts. I have switched from DSL which had no problem at all for more than 8 years to Rogers cable internet on last Monday because of promotion. I thought Rogers is a brand name company and should provide the same quality of service as other brand name company but I was wrong. A nightmare just stared after a couple hours of the initial installation. No internet connection for both Lan and wireless. I called technical support right away and a person helped me to re-config my PC, re-set the modem (I have purchased most advanced new modem from Rogers-ENHANCED WI-FI MODEM) and the internet back on but it lost again in the next day morning when I check the internet. The internet is keep disconnect ing everyday I am keep calling technical support everyday.During this time, Rogers sent technician to my home to re-connected all devices, upgrated the software for the modem, I did exchang the modem in Rogers store as well, the problem has not been permanently fixed. I was so wrong to make the decision to switch to Rogers. Any advise whould be appreciate.

I've Been Here Awhile

We had this problem when we upgraded to a faster speed and rented the modem/router from Rogers. It was horrible, and I spent many hours on the phone to ROGers trying to figure out the issue. We are Apple users, and finally I went out and bought  an TimeCapsule to use as the Router portion and the Rogers machine as the modem only. It all works beautifully now.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sarahhillyer wrote:

We had this problem when we upgraded to a faster speed and rented the modem/router from Rogers. It was horrible, and I spent many hours on the phone to ROGers trying to figure out the issue. We are Apple users, and finally I went out and bought  an TimeCapsule to use as the Router portion and the Rogers machine as the modem only. It all works beautifully now.

This is the solution that many people have found works (thoguh not all).
And it does seem to be LOCATION based... some cities have the problem.. some are perfectly fine.

I'm Here A Lot

Just want to report that I also use the Cisco DPC3825 modem/router but don't have any problems with it since we got it 3 months ago, I hope by now you (DrRockso) have a good working system. I sympathize but people have to realize that things aren't always going to work every time, especially electronics. My original modem a few years back was a SMC the silver and blue model with two external antennas, I recall the first one we got setup by the installer had some major issues, we were supposed to call in and have them re-register it well that didn't work after a few hours of testing. The next day they sent someone out with a new modem/router which worked great for the many years before we upgraded. I'm happy with the wireless range with this as well as the SMC however I did get an SMC (built in antenna) as an upgrade about a year back to allow me to up my download space to 80GB, well the wireless range was terrible, probably should have tried a second one to be sure but just got my old modem back to be safe.