Daily Multiple Dropped Connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Daily Multiple Dropped Connection

Likes I said, the issues are there to varying degrees; whether dropped connections or poor range. You do what you have to do to make it work because Rogers leaves us with no other choice. You can try a 3rd party router or try and live with what is inflicted upon us by Rogers. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you connecting on the 2.4 or the 5g?

Generally, Kiwi is right though.. the wireless isnt great on any of the built in ones.

To get decent wifi/coverage, you really need to go with a decent 3rd party router.

Even with them, there is a big difference between the $40 and the $150 ones.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Recently, I've been having many troubles with my DPC3825 modem. It disconnects everytime I seem to do an "internet heavy" thing like online video games. However, sometimes it stops disconnecting and works nicely, which is mostly in the evenings for some reason. This is what I tried to do:

- Reboot Modem

- Restore Factory Defaults

- Turn of Wireless

What seems to work sometimes:

- reboot modem

- disconnect all ethernet cables

-wait for "online" to light up on modem (which takes forever sometimes)

- plug in my ethernet cable

- go on google.com but doesnt work

- go on my modem gateway and turn off wireless

-unplug and replug my cable

-wait 5 minutes before trying to use internet

- then it works

the above doesnt work all the time, and I still get disconnected when I'm playing online games.

Here's my DOCSIS log:

1  Wed Jun 17 19:01:41 2015  2436694063  Notice (6)  WiFi Interface [wl0] set to Channel 6 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE
 1  Wed Jun 17 18:59:07 2015  84000400  Critical (3)  SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
 17  Wed Jun 17 18:59:05 2015  84020300  Warning (5)  MDD message timeout
 1  Wed Jun 17 18:57:10 2015  84000400  Critical (3)  SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
 1  Wed Jun 17 18:56:46 2015  84020300  Warning (5)  MDD message timeout
 1  Wed Jun 17 18:55:47 2015  67050200  Warning (5)  DBC-REQ denied - confirmation code 32: reject-unknown-DSID
 8  Wed Jun 17 18:55:42 2015  84020300  Warning (5)  MDD message timeout
 1  Wed Jun 17 18:54:53 2015  67070100  Error (4)  DBC-ACK not received
 1  Wed Jun 17 18:54:10 2015  82000400  Critical (3)  Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out
 4  Wed Jun 17 18:53:34 2015  2436694061  Warning (5)  Dynamic Range Window violation
 1  Wed Jun 17 18:53:20 2015  2436694066  Notice (6)  Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4

help!!

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS....DOCSIS WAN tab, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  They contain the signal levels and signal to noise ratios for the RG-6 cable that connects to the modem.  It sounds like you might have a signal issue on the go.  If you go to this page and look at tehe DPC3825 section, you will see what the ideal signal levels and signal to noise ratios would look like:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2402...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: -5.7 dBmV 37.8 dB
Channel 2: -3.9 dBmV 38.8 dB
Channel 3: -3.9 dBmV 39.0 dB
Channel 4: -4.9 dBmV 38.6 dB
Channel 5: -4.9 dBmV 38.6 dB
Channel 6: -4.9 dBmV 38.4 dB
Channel 7: -4.7 dBmV 38.6 dB
Channel 8: -5.3 dBmV 37.2 dB

Upstream Channels    

Power Level:
Channel 1: 45.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 46.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 45.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The downstream signal levels aren't too bad.  They aren't great, but it probably not time to call for a tech just yet.  I believe the cut-off is -6 dBmV before a tech will be sent out.  The signal to noise ratios are fine and your upstream signal levels out of the modem heading back to the local node aren't too bad either. 

Do you see problems with wired or wireles performance or both?  For the wireless network do you use a 2.4 Ghz network primarily?  I'm trying to remember if the 3825 has a 5 Ghz capability.

Are you in a house, condo, apartment, etc.?

If the problem is with wifi, the first thing to do is check out your wifi environment.  The link below is for the last freebie version of inSSIDer, which can monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.  It doesn't display 802.11ac networks which are becoming more common, so it doesn't present the whole picture in the 5 Ghz band, but its pretty close.  There is a new version out which is now a pay version $20 U.S., and worth buying if you have a 5 Ghz capable laptop and you happen to use 5 Ghz networks, including 802.11ac networks.

Load this on your laptop and have a look at the graphical display to see where your network sits in relation to the other networks from nearby routers.  You might see that you are in a fairly crowded 2.4 Ghz area, in which case it might be rather tough to solve this.  Perhaps one of your neighbours has brought home a new modem or router and has a network up which is competing with yours.  By looking at the graphical display, you might be able to see another channel that you could use that isn't occupied, or, if it is, the power levels of the existing network on that channel is lower than where you are now;

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 3825 has only 2.4ghz

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey, I managed to fix my WIRED connection drops. It required me to put my modem in this position:

I used a lamp that can attach itself onto the edge of a table, and put my modem on it to face upright.

The white internet cable that is connected to my modem has ends that have a wire that connects itself to the modem. The end I have connected has a wire 2x shorter than the other end. This means that it broke off. This position seems to fix that problem, and all I have to do is wait 1-2 mins for startup time. I have WIRELESS turned of on the modem. 

At times, I still get disconected once from a game, so this solution is only temporary until I get a new internet cable. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The cable that runs from the wallplate to the modem is an RG-6 cable.  You can usually pick one up at a local store.  When you have installed that cable can you repost the signal levels again?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes i will