DNS Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

DNS Issues

Around 8:00 this morning phoned Rogers about DNS issues on 4 different computers.

Between 8 & noon spoke to 5 different reps (2 supervisors) who in the process changed all my computer & router settings.

At mid-point went down and picked up a new Cisco modem. Mentioned to the reps at tech support that 6 other Rogers customers were in the store swapping modems because of DNS issues.

At noon issue resolved. Rogers admitted that I was right and was a DNS issue. The rep made a remote change on my router. I asked what the change was and was told that I didn't need to know.

So checked my modem/router settings and discovered that I didn't need to know that Rogers changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 the Google DNS Servers. 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: DNS Issues

@mrbrimi wrote:

At noon issue resolved. Rogers admitted that I was right and was a DNS issue. The rep made a remote change on my router. I asked what the change was and was told that I didn't need to know.

Blatantly disgusting and despicable when Rogers makes REMOTE changes to your router settings that could adversely affect your home network's integrity and security and then REFUSES to advise the customer EXACTLY what those changes were.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They really need to get their DNS servers in order.. since the issue a year ago (and possibly before) they have been nothing but flakey/not working.

Overall.. using the google DNS servers in yoru gateway.. is probably a BETTER option than the rogers one.

Allthough.. VERY odd that they would do this by their choice..

But they shouldnt have made the change, without notifiying you, or telling you what they were doing.

Certain things, they need/have to have access to properly provision stuff for speeds.  Upstream/downstream channels, frequencies, etc.

Beyond that.. there is always the chance of a security problem with some other changes (depending on the change), say like perhaps something even as simple as forgetting to turn a wireless security back on, etc.

Not that you want to call back in again.. but i would potentialy do this to talk to a manager and complain as to what the last guy did.  Alternatively, if you do have the incident/ticket  # and one of the supervisors name.. you could escalate a complain to the office of the president.

I Plan to Stick Around

Still fuming.

Should clarify I have 4 machines - 2 on WiFi, 2 on Ethernet. Of these 2 on Windows 7, 2 on Windows 8.1. Before calling Rogers checked to make sure the error was on all 4 machines.

Rogers rep reset both the old and new modems to factory settings. No big deal on the brand new modem but a lot of settings I now have to fix.

Rogers rep reset my browser and network settings. No big deal but a pain.

When I exchanged modems talked to the other Rogers customers, all had the same issue, all were told by tech support to exchange their modems. The person at the store warned all of us that new modems weren't going to solve a network issue.

The tech supervisor claimed that there was not a network issue. I suggested that that they might want to check the local Rogers store where others were needlessly exchanging modems. But no they insisted it wasn't a network or DNS issue.

Just because I didn't want to download a different browser (Chrome) and try it out I was called uncooperative.

Equally I was uncooperative because I didn't want them to send a technician at their convenience to find out why I'd have a DNS issue on 4 different machines after a modem swap.

So I think after changing the DNS settings 4 hours after me telling them it was a DNS issue they might have offerred an apology. But to change the router settings to Google's servers and then tell me that I didn't need to know that they had changed the servers to is completely ignorant.

All the reps seemed surprised that I was concerned that they had the ability not only to see my password but to remove and replace it.

Since the changes by Rogers my speed has dropped from 30 Mbps to 25 Mbps but more important it is taking significantly longer for the Google DNS servers to resolve addresses and bring up the pages.

Thanks Rogers for once again proving how important your customers are to you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Odd that the Google DNS servers are taking longer... its usually the other way around.

I am running the google DNS servers on about 80% of my machines at home, and they are perfectly fine, quick to respond.
Mind you, i have the google DNS set up at the DEVICE level, not at the gateway.. that might make a difference.

I didnt think under the MSO login, that they could SEE your login password, etc.. but they could reset it.
(wireless password, might be a different story).

Sounds like you got one of the many BAD techs Smiley Sad there are some good ones, but seem few and far between.

You should be able to go back in, and change the DNS back, i beleive.
to put in the google ones, they would have to do the manual entry for them.. if you turn that off,it SHOULD go back to what it pulls from rogers itself.
(where that is on your modem.. i do forget, been over a year since i had that model)

I Plan to Stick Around

Tried your suggestions removed Rogers servers from Cisco modem/gateway added Google servers to my machine IPv4 properties. Pages load better but still can't resolve most yahoo.com sites which suggests to me that it is a network problem.

However, Rogers insists it is something wrong withn my 4 computers and the 2nd modem of the day. After much arguing got a service call (their expense) for tomorrow afternoon.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not on my pc right now so can't check, but I know a while back there was some major problems with the tracerts using the Rogers or google DNS, through to some yahoo addresses.
Not sure if it was ever resolved though. I don't visit enough yahoo stuff to notice myself.

I Plan to Stick Around

At 11:40 pm my 4 computers made a miraculous recovery and am now able to access all sites.

I might have been wrong calling it a DNS problem but I know from all the Rogers techs that I talked to and their supervisors that Rogers did NOT have a network problem. It is a coincidence that without me making any changes 4 computers cured themselves. Must have been RME (Random Machine Error)

Rogers: "We designed our entire network to ensure consistent, hassle-free internet."

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. right Smiley Tongue

We were having issues over the last week.. same sort of thing.. nothing on our end, etc..
Actually got a call in while it was actually happening.. so they were going to send a tech out, etc..
And then they found... Oh.. they are doing maintenance in that area right now, should be done by tomorrow morning.. i guess there WAS a problem..
Uh.. duh?

Seems to be ok since then.

Glad to hear its working now.. and hopefully stays that way.
May want to consider continuing using the google DNS servers.. i have used them since the big DNS outage a while back, and have yet to run into an issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

While Google's DNS servers are wayyyy more reliable than Rogers own, there will be latency issues. DNS uses geolocation to obtain the fastest results for queries. But since all Google's DNS servers are in the USA, we have to route our requests through the US then back to our nodes in Canada since we can't geolocate a closer server. This is why there can be a noticable delay when using the Google DNS servers.