Connecting wireless router to CIsco DPC3825

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Connecting wireless router to CIsco DPC3825

@ data link

The bridge mode is ok but how do I connect my switch with router though

What are the settings need to be done.?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you go back and read my question on structured wiring.  If you have that in your home you will be able to get rid of the Range Extender and park the modem and router anywhere in the home, and get better service out of the whole system.

Can you tell me where you have the various pieces of equipment installed?

Typically, the better arrangement to use is to place the modem in bridge mode.  Then connect the router to the modem and run the router in full router mode.  That connection can be through an ethernet cable or through the wireline adapter.  Both should work, but an ethernet run, as is within a structured wiring bundle would be the better solution.

The switch would then be connected to the router.

The VOIP adapter would then be connected to the router as the router would be easier to set for port forwarding if required, and you would probably have control over the ALG SIP setting which can interfere with Voip equipment.  It could also run through the switch, depending on the network layout in the home.

Here is a post on Structure Wiring.  Msg #23 of 23.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/3/...

If you come back and indicate that you're in an older home without structured wiring, then, ok, we'll have to figure out how to place everything so that the network does what you need it to do.

I Plan to Stick Around

I do but it been removed. We are in Townhouse and limited space plus I have VOIP that connected. My option is not to move it to ant room. Please tell me how do I connect router to the switch.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All you do is connect the switch to the router via ethernet.  The modem should take care of any LAN IP address for anything that connects to the switch.

When you run a router like the DIR-655, you should assign an IP address to it that is outside of the modem's IP address range.  That way, you have the ability to log into either the modem, or the DIR-655 if any changes are necessary.  The DIR-655 should pick up an IP address from the modem, but if I was going to allow the modem to set the address for the 655, I would probably use a static address, assigned within the modem so that I knew what it was going to be.  Newer routers have an access point mode that does all of this for you, just a matter of selecting it.

I Plan to Stick Around

do I have to do any other settings? Are you talking about bridge the modem first and connect it to first port on the modem and other end to router from router to switch via ether net port.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are a couple of ways to do this:

Bridged modem:

1. Bridge the modem

2. Connect the router to the modem via ethernet or via wireline.  I would run a reset of the router here and set all the parameters.

3. Connect the switch to the router

4.  Connect any other devices to the switch or router.

Gateway Modem:

1.  With the 655 disconnected from the modem, power it up.

2.  Log in and turn off the DHCP and assign an IP address that is outside of the modems IP range

3.  Save the settings and reboot the router

4.  During the reboot, connect the router to the modem via ethernet or Range Extender

5.  After the router is finished rebooting, connect the TP-Link Switch and power it up.  Anything connecting via the switch will pick up its IP address from the modem.

6.  Connect any other devices to the switch or router.

The Range Extender should be invisible to the modem or router.  For best results, you should try to place both ends of the extender in rooms that are on the same side of the circuit breaker panel.  So, if the basement socket is on a circuit breaker on the right side of the panel for example, have a look at the panel list and choose a room upstairs that is on that same right hand side.  Place the other end of the extender in that room.

I Plan to Stick Around

I heard you have to connect the router to port 1 on the modem. My DHCP turned off on the router. Now I have to connect the router to the switch and I should be able to resolve this issue
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That might be true if the modem is running in Bridge mode.  I don't know if there is only one active port on the 3825 when its bridged, but its possible.  If its running in Gateway mode, it won't matter which modem port that the router is plugged in to.  And.....when you connect the switch, it won't matter which port you use on the router.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Bridge mode only port 1 wil work other port get disabled.
I Plan to Stick Around

let me try tommorow.