Connecting wireless router to CIsco DPC3825

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Connecting wireless router to CIsco DPC3825

Hello,

So I have been reading some of the posts with regards to the poor wireless properties of the DPC3825 as I am having the same problem.  My problem is a weak signal strength and occasional dropped connections.

I would like to connect my old Linksys WRT160N router to the DPC 3825.

So what I have gathered so far from reading the other posts (and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) is that you can connect your old router to either (1) be used as a wireless access point only  OR  (2) you can disable the DCP3825 wireless properties so that it functions as a traditional Cable Modem only and then the Linksys router would act a a conventional wireless router.

If you want to do OPTION (1) then on the DPC 3825 Turn the DHCP to ON and Disable the wireless.  The Linksys router should be set to have the DHCP to OFF and you should assign an IP adress of 192.168.0.2.

If you want to do OPTION (2) then on the DPC3825 you select "Bridge only" mode and DHCP to OFF and Firewall to OFF.  The Linksys router should be set to DHCP to ON.

I have several questions regarding the 2 different set up options:

-Is one option faster than the other?

-Does one option provide a stronger signal strength over the other?

-Do you have to have the old Linksys router wireless network Name (SSID?) and password set to be the SAME as the one on the DPC3825 if you are doing option (1) and using it as an acess point only (....or does that even matter?)

-Is there any other additional steps that I have missed with the set-up of options (1) and (2)?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!  I would usually leave this up to my husband but unfortunately he is travelling for his job and I am on my own on this one for now!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Connecting wireless router to CIsco DPC3825

Both your setups look correct. With bridged it will turn dhcp and firewall off auto for you.

In the end, speed, etc shoulddnt really be different between the two setups.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for answering!

One last question....can i set the Linksys router to have the same network name and password as the exisiting wireless network on the DPC3825 if use the linksys router as an access point only (Option 1)?  The only reason  I ask is that it would save me changing all the wireless login information of all of our devices.  Not a big deal but it would be nice to avoid extra steps if possible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The network name, password, and SSID would have to be the same.
It SHOULD work, but there isn't any guarantees.

In access point setup you will Definitely want to disable the built in wireless as you don't want the signals to overlap and cause interference if they are sitting close to each other.
(Only way I would say to leave both on, is if you were putting the AP on another floor, etc. )

I Plan to Stick Around

I currently have the 70Gb hybrid fibre 30 internet package.

I use my Linksys wireless-G 2.4 Ghz 54 Mbps router instead of the cisco as was recommened on this board.

I find the speed of the internet slower recently and I am wondering if this is a factor.

I tried checking the internet packages available and find they seem to have changed again.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the internet?

thanks,

denise

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Can you describe how you use your wireless Internet, because any recommendation will be based on your needs.

But for now your wireless router is very old, especially the wireless G component. With some tweaking your Cisco DPC3825 can provide better wireless N' performance on a single 2.4 band.

But the best possible solution will be to buy a new router and switch your Cisco into "modem only" mode.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The older routers like that.. while are 'max' 54mbps.. back in the day, i rarely found that they even aproached that even on local transfers (regardless of internet speeds).
Routing power, wireless ranges, etc... the Cisco built in is probably is on par if not better as mentioned.. at least it does support some of the lower N ranges.

First to try, i would try putting back into gateway mode and testing with the built in wireless and see if you get any better performance.

Beyond that.. as mentioned.. you really need to go back to bridged with your own router.. but with a higher quality router.

The built in wireless on the gateways, is on par with your sub $100 routers..  To really get anything better you need to jump up to a router that is over $100.  They will tend to have more power, larger wireless range, and depending on the unit more wireless options (varying levels of N, AC, etc connectivity).

(All this is assuming that the slow downs, etc are not being caused by interfearance, etc)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the possibiity of a cable signal problem, which would cause slower internet rates if the problem was bad enough.  You would have to kick the modem back into Gateway mode, log into it with a connected pc, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and then paste those tables into this thread.  After that you can kick the modem back into Bridge mode.  With the tables available to look at, we can tell if there is a possible cable signal issue that requires attention.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Guys,

This is all a little to complicated for me since it was my son who helped me with the original router.

I will wait for him to help me with this unless you think Rogers would send someone to help me as they did install the updated modem last year.

thanks again,

denise

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you find this a little daunting you can call tech support and ask the CSR to check the signal levels on the cable.  They can do that remotely.  If the tech finds that the cable signal levels are down, he or she will arrange to have a tech visit your home.  I would still be interested in seeing them myself, but asking teck support for a quick check is not a problem.  Just explain that you are noticing that the internet speeds are down and wonder if there is any issue with the cable signal levels.  The external cables and connectors don't last forever, and everyone once in a while need replacing due to aging and signal loss that follows from aging effects.

The other side of the coin so to speak is the wifi portion of the network.  Its possible that someone has setup a router nearby that is causing interference issues for you.  The CSR might be able to check that for you, but the problem with setting a channel manually is that one minute its a clear channel that you can use, and the next, someone else's router has moved onto the same channel due to the use of automatic channel selection.  I would have to see a wifi channel picture to understand if there are wifi channels running nearby that are causing problems.  That can be done with a freebie program that is available, but the first step I think is to run a quick check on the cable signal levels.