cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

RR19
I've been around

I can’t seem to find a way to connect my escape smart bulb and plug to my wifi as is says it needs a 2.4 ghz. It seems the router wants to connect things on 5ghz.

Has anyone had this issue? And better yet solved it....

***Edited Labels***

60 REPLIES 60

Re: Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

@RogersTony  - thank you!! this definitely worked.

Having trouble with a smart bulb connecting to wifi. We’ve read the post to separate the wifi signal to 5 and 2.4 to connect the bulb on 2.4. The bulb and app never successfully connect after multiple attempts. Any ideas?

@Steeler19 have a look at the following post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Connecting-a-smart-bulb-and-smart-plug-to-the-new-ign...

Also, consider reading thru the thread to see if there's any more info that might be helpful. 

I think it's important to understand that there are two types of issues going on as to why people can't connect to the bulb.

ISSUE #1: The bulb can only connect to 2.4GHz WiFi signals. This is where you see people showing you how to separate your WIFI signals, labelling them yourwifi-2.4 and youwifi-5.

ISSUE #2: The firmware on a lot of the bulbs needs to be updated to connect to the 2.4GHz Rogers WiFi signal. So, even if you get your 2.4GHz and 5.GHz separated, if the bulb has the buggy old firmware, it will still fail.  Firmware is software the manufacturer pre-loads on the bulb in the factory; think of it as an operating system like Windows or macOS for your bulb 🙂 Firmware can be updated, just like your computer. The manufacturer's firmware is buggy/bad and doesn't play nice with the Rogers 2.4GHz WiFi. But the manufacturer updated it, so now you have to do some tricks to get it to download from the Internet and update on your bulb. That's why we use another mobile phone's network to get it updated because the bulb can connect to your mobile phone network just fine. See my post here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Connecting-a-smart-bulb-and-smart-plug-to-the-new-ign... on how to fix this. You can use two mobile phones to connect to the bulb and update the firmware. Once it's updated, you'll be able to connect to the Rogers WIFI 2.4Ghz network.

It's really confusing for people who aren't computer experts. I'm sure Costco gets returns left and right, yet they keep pushing these bulbs and haven't pulled them. Regardless, you can get it to work, you just have to follow a lot of instructions and understand there are two separate issues you have to tackle to get it to work.

I am trying to connect my smart devices through my phone. My smart devices only connect/set up through 2.4 ghz. My phone will only connect to 5ghz wifi when presented between 5ghz or 2.4ghz (already went down this rabbit hole and that's the end result).

How do I split my rogers ignite wifi into two networks, one 2.4ghz, and the other 5ghz

FriendShip Lamps:

I am trying to connect a Friendship Lamp to my Ignite WIFI without success.  The lamp will only connect to 2.4GHZ wifi.  Can Ignite WIFI accommodate this and how?

Hello @Franciszek and @Redmud1 ,

I see this is your first time posting here in the community forums! Welcome and we hope you both enjoy your time here! 😊

Have you had an opportunity to sift through this thread? It definitely has a lot of useful tips from other users who've experienced something similar and were able to get the problem resolved. I'd especially like to direct your attention to post #34 and post #46 which have some really great info that may provide the solution you are looking for!

If applicable, please give those steps a try and let us know if they help fix your issue! 👍

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

I was recently given three Wiz smart light bulbs for my birthday.  I am having considerable difficulty setting them up.  Do I need Rogers Smart Home in order to be able to set up these bulbs?  Right now the the WIZconfig_XXXX network is not connecting to the internet.  Is this a problem?  If yes, how do i fix this?  I have two Rogers networks set up right now in order to allow me to easily access the 2.4GH network.

PeterElliott
I've been here awhile

Re / Datalink...

Just looked over all the threads you suggested.  Nothing there seemed to be relevant to my problem.  I've sent an email off to the manufacturer, WIZ.  Maybe they will have some ideas.

@PeterElliott what modem do you have?

What you could try is disable the 5 Ghz wifi network in the modem.  That will result in the 2.4 Ghz channel only, which should allow the smart bulbs to connect.  If that still doesn't work, then disable Band Steering in both 2.4 and 6 Ghz network.  With the smart bulbs connected, reenable the 5 Ghz network and then reenable Band Steering. Hopefully, if the bulbs connect to the 2.4 Ghz network, they will remain on that network when the 5 Ghz network is reenabled and Band Steering is enabled.  I can see a problem arise if the modem ever reboots for some reason, and both networks will be up and running after the reboot.  At that point, Band Steering will probably try to force the bulbs back onto the 5 Ghz network.  

This is the result of one, possibly two problems.  

1.  Each wifi device should broadcast what band its capable of running on, the 2.4 Ghz, 5 Ghz or both.  Question is, what do the bulbs broadcast for their capability.

2.  The modem, with Band Steering enabled, is ignoring the capability bit(s) that the devices are broadcasting and simply attempts to force everything onto the 5 Ghz band, whether its capable or not.  If so, this is a design error that any software engineer should not make, and if it was done in error, then the design reviews should have picked it up prior to any release stage.   

From what I remember reading there are three Band Steering modes that can be used in a modem or router, but Rogers has never indicated what particular mode is enabled in any of the modems. 

Giraffee66
I plan to stick around

I am trying to add a Globe smart lightbulb to my new Ignite service.  I have tried everything that this post recommended, and I cannot get permission to rename the 2.4G network, so the bulb app keeps telling me that I don't have a 2.4G network.  I am very frustrated at this point.  This advice was provided in 2019 - is it possible that something has changed since then?  Here is a screen shot showing me logged into 10.0.0.1 and I can see where the network names are, but they are greyed out and no matter how many times I click on the 2.4G name, I cannot gain access to the text field to change it.  Both the 2.4G and the 5G networks are called Giraffe66, and as per the advice I am replying to, I need to change that name to something else.  But I can't!  Also, when I post this question, the screenshot jpg I uploaded does not show up, all I get is a yield sign. I have tried re-uploading it 3 times, all with the same result.  

Screenshot 2021-06-16 6.16.12 PM.png

Also the Rogers.com "help" instructions are from 2019 and the screen caps for the Ignite app that are on the website are old and do not look like the current Ignite app.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Giraffee66 wrote:

...when I post this question, the screenshot jpg I uploaded does not show up, all I get is a yield sign.

This is because all attachments need approval from the mods on this forum.  It usually takes a few minutes for that to happen. Sorry, I can't help you with your actual question.

Read the bold message above the Wireless network [Enable/Disable] option.

You need to change it on ignitewifi.rogers.com. Go there and log in.

Why does everything have to be so complicated

Hello, I just had this issue today.  In order for Globe smart light bulbs to work with your new Ignite Modem you need to go into your Ignite Hub and change the name of each network:  one name of for 2.4G and another name for 5G.   In settings on your phone, make sure you are in 2.4G.  Make sure you have also deleted your original Globe smart bulbs and *re-establish new pairing (flashing bulb)* and then go through the manual install process for each bulb.   Then change back your wifi setting to 5G on your iphone for best performance.  Good luck!

We recently got new GIGAbyte internet modem from Rogers and facing the same issue of not able to connect to smart bulbs which were earlier connected well. It seems the issue is with modem as I am able to connect with bulbs when using two different mobiles and using one as hot-spot internet, but when I switch back to Roger's internet, the bulbs go offline.

Please provide better solution than already given.

Thanks

Thank you for this detailed explanation, you saved us. Days of frustration finally resolved. We were about to take back $1500 worth of lights

I just got8 globe lights for my bd and have spent 6 hrs doing what instructionssaid would take 2 mins
So fr..getting far away from ztr275r modem so 2.4 is activated sounds like I Cando
Topic Stats