Configure My Asus Wireless Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Configure My Asus Wireless Router

So I've got a Hitron modem/router from Rogers & recently picked up a new Asus AC66U wireless router.

I am trying to set the Hitron as just a modem & let the Asus be the router taking care of all the devices. However, when I disable the "Residential Gateway function" on the Hitron all the devices connected to the Asus lose Internet connectivity.

Am I missing a setting on the Asus? Here is a screenshot of the settings I have on the Asus:

http://imgur.com/ZSyub8u

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Configure My Asus Wireless Router

That should be right.

After setting in bridged mode,  you usually need to reboot the router as well, for it to force to obtain the IP address from the modem

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That should be right.

After setting in bridged mode,  you usually need to reboot the router as well, for it to force to obtain the IP address from the modem

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yup that works, just needed to reboot the Asus!

So I have a laptop connected via ethernet to the Hitron. I want to leave it this way, but once I set the Hitron to bridged mode this laptop loses network access.

Technically shouldn't it just bypass the Hitron and simply connect to the Asus via ethernet which will then direct the Internet flow through the Hitron modem? I know it seems a little redundant but the laptop is in the living room next to the Hitron router/modem but the Asus is elsewhere because it needs to be central to the home. The Asus is connected to the Hitron using a Powerline adapter.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some of the models of gateways.. disable the other ports, when in bridged.. as its suposed to be a modem only.. and just going to the router/one device attached,

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Can I connect a asus wireless router to the cable modem to have a better connection for the ring doorbell?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes.  Assuming that you have one of the Hitron modems that stand vertically, log into the modem, navigate to BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab.  Disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the setting and the modem will reboot into Bridge mode where it acts as a modem only.  Connect the Asus router to the modem and run a factory reset on it so that it picks up the correct IP address from the modem if this is the first time that the router has been connected to the modem while the modem is in Bridge mode.  Run thru the router setup and you end up with the modem in Bridge mode and the router in full router mode.  You would have to ensure that you select Router mode for the router which is located at ADMINISTRATION .... OPERATION MODE.  

To access the modem thru the router, use 192.168.100.1 as the modems login address.  That internal address can be used:

a.  when the modem is either in Gateway mode and you have a connection directly to the modem thru ethernet or wifi, or through a secondary wifi access point; or

b.  when the router is in Bridge mode and you are connected directly to the modem or through a router.  

You can then access the modem's user interface while the modem is in Bridge mode and flip the modem back into Gateway modem by reenabling the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the setting and the modem will reboot back onto Gateway modem with its previous settings intact.  

You can also change the modem's operating mode from Bridge mode to Gateway mode by running a factory reset.  To do that, depress the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and release it.  The modem will run a factory reset and reboot back into Gateway with its Default Settings.  Due to the Default Settings, you will have to reset the modem parameters from scratch.  Its much easier to log into the modem while its in Bridge mode and reset it back to Gateway mode with its parameters intact, personal opinion. 

192.168.0.1 will only work when the modem is in Gateway mode and you have a direct or wifi connection with the modem, or, if you are running thru a wifi access point where that access point DHCP is turned off.  In that case the modem's DHCP runs the entire network and the 192.168.0.1 address should lead back to the modem from any connection type. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Accessing Bridged WiFi Routers

I have the my Asus 68 and 66 wifi routers connected to the Hitron via a ethernet cable but I can't access either one of the Asus routers UI via the IP address assigned to them.  Any ideas on how to access the Asus routers UI?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LineMonkey that might depend on how you have your network configured.  

Run a trace at a command prompt, or use an ipconfig/all command at a command prompt.  

If the router is running in full router mode, If you run a trace, ie:  tracert -4 www.google.com   the first address should be the router.  The second address should be the CMTS if the modem is running in Bridge mode.  If the modem is running in Gateway mode then the first address is the router and the second address is the modem, which would be 192.168.0.1.

Running an ipconfig/all command, look for the Default Gateway address.

Edit:  If the router is running in Access Point mode, and possibly in AiMesh mode, you might have to disconnect the router's WAN connection and restart the router.  Then running an ipconfig/all command, you should be able to see its Default Gateway address, which you can then use to log into the router.

Can you let me know what the network configuration is?