cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure Modem for Best Possible Speeds

Jawed
I plan to stick around

Hey guys! I recently got the new black gateway modem and it's actually pretty good. I have the gigabit plan and I get around 580 download and 31 upload through Wi-Fi. I'm sure if I connect it through an Ethernet I'll get more. Does anyone have any ideas of some settings I can change on my modem to MAX out its speed through Wi-Fi, without changing something drastic that would affect the performace. 

**Labels Added**

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Configure Modem for Best Possible Speeds

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jawed wrote:

Hey guys! I recently got the new black gateway modem and it's actually pretty good. I have the gigabit plan and I get around 580 download and 31 upload through Wi-Fi. I'm sure if I connect it through an Ethernet I'll get more. Does anyone have any ideas of some settings I can change on my modem to MAX out its speed through Wi-Fi, without changing something drastic that would affect the performace. 

What kind of transfer rates were you hoping to get?  For Wi-Fi, 580 Mb/s is actually not bad.  There are lots of things that factor into how well (or how poorly) Wi-Fi performs: the capabilities of the access point and Wi-Fi client, placement of the access point, sources of interference, the number of devices connected to your Wi-Fi network, and the how much Wi-Fi activity there is in your local area from others using the same channels/frequencies.  (Only one device can transmit on a given frequency at a time, so your Wi-Fi performance is affected by (and can also be degraded severely by) the Wi-Fi activity in your area and how well the surrounding Wi-Fi networks perform.)  Getting the maximum speed from your Wi-Fi involves first determining what your theoretical maximum speed could be, understanding all of the things that can slow it down, and then addressing those issues as best as possible knowing that some things may be totally out of your control.

Rogers has some tips on how to optimize your Wi-Fi performance and where to place your modem:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/optimize-your-internet-speed-and-wi-fi

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/where-to-place-your-modem

ARS Technica has also published some great technical articles on Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi performance.  The first should help you to better understand Wi-Fi and the things that can affect your maximum attainable speed.  The second contains some helpful rules that you should follow to maximize your Wi-Fi performance.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/the-ars-technica-semi-scientific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point...

Little details can make a big difference.  I just purchased a business-grade access point and have been doing surveys to find the ideal location to ceiling-mount the AP.  With that device, I can see the individual connection details for every connected Wi-Fi client, including the signal strength and attainable speeds.  You would be surprised how Wi-Fi performance to some parts of the house can improve (or be degraded) by moving the AP just two feet.

Jawed
I plan to stick around

I have these three Wi-Fi pods but their download speed is pretty slow. If I’m getting around 500 download close to my modem, I’ll only get around 20-30 close to the pod. I heard they only go up to 200 down but I think it’s too slow.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jawed wrote:

I have these three Wi-Fi pods but their download speed is pretty slow. If I’m getting around 500 download close to my modem, I’ll only get around 20-30 close to the pod. I heard they only go up to 200 down but I think it’s too slow.

Have you tried disconnecting your device from Wi-Fi and then reconnecting?  It's possible that you are still connected directly to the modem.  If either the Wi-Fi client or access point does not support the protocols required for seamless roaming (802.11k, 802.11r (FT) and 802.11v) then the device will not try to seek out a better connection until the signal strength on the link drops below -80 dBm.

You also need to ensure that the Pods are installed correctly; that you have enough Pods and that they are placed correctly to form an optimal mesh.  If your device is connected to a Pod but the Pod has a weak connection back to the modem, then not only will you get slow connectivity but it will also degrade the performance of your entire Wi-Fi network.

200 Mb/s may not seem all that fast but the purpose of the Pods is to provide good connectivity from hard-to-reach locations, not necessarily for the fastest speeds.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation