Configuration affecting internet?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Configuration affecting internet?

Hi all.

I seem to be having some issues with my internet service after a Rogers tech. Reconfigured my set up.
All lines now feed into an amplifier.
Can someone take a look at this pic and tell me if something is off.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!As0qWl7mmMDkwREctqSYBwkS7EGT

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Configuration affecting internet?

Hello @dzygadlo,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post. Could you please let us know what issues you've been experiencing since the tech visit?

As for the image, I'll tag our resident experts @Datalink@Gdkitty for further insight Robot Happy!

RogersZia

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi

I'm not getting consistent download speeds, streaming is especially challenging.

It is in bridge mode connected to a router

Fyi - using a rocket modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dzygadlo have a look at that amplifier, specifically the port that is marked with the telephone symbol which is the VOIP port.  It looks to me like its empty at the present time.  That port also supports the internet modem.  So, determine which cable is the internet cable and connect it to that VOIP port.  Just for info's sake, that port is not amplified.  There might have been a good reason for the tech to install the amp such as low ingress signal levels, but, the drawback to running the internet cable thru the amp is that you end up with amplifying a terrible signal enroute to the modem.  The solution, if there is an issue with low signal levels or noise in the cable system, is to resolve the problem issue.  The amplifier will mask issue unfortunately, but, its possible in your case that the amp makes the situation worse than it was before. 

Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab, copy the Downstream table, all the way down to the end of the upstream section and paste that into a post.  Ignore the data that resides above the Downstream section as its modem specific and shouldn't posted in an open forum.  I'm basically interested in the signal levels and signal to noise ratios for all of the table contents.  Please do that prior to, and after moving the cable so we can see the difference from before the cable move to after the cable move.  I suspect that we're going to see low signal levels when the cable is moved to the VOIP port. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi.

Here are some results from pingplotter.

Does this reveal anything?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!As0qWl7mmMDkwRKce7AkzqnptYJn

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi

I just spoke to Rogers tech who ran some diagnostics and said that TX signal is out of spec. 

Any quick fixes to that?

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi all.

I am trying to troubleshoot my internet issues and would like to try attaching the internet cable to the voip input on my residential amplifier but there is some weird extender on that input.

Anyone know how to remove it?

I have tried twisting and pulling. Nothing.

See this photo - https://1drv.ms/u/s!As0qWl7mmMDkwRP_SXiWjPrMQ2Jg

Hello @dzygadlo,

Having inconsistent speeds is never fun to deal with especially when streaming which can get super frustrating! =(

If the TX signal is out of spec there are a few steps we can take to ensure the issue is not being caused inside of your home. If you have any Splitters or Signal Boosters/Attenuators that were not installed by a Rogers Technician please remove them. Check the Coaxial connections on both ends at the Modem and the outlet/splitter to ensure its as tight as possible by hand.

If all of this was confirmed by the agent you spoke to and the signal issue is still present we'll need to have another technician out to see what is causing the persistent signal issue. We can get this setup for you if it was not done by the agent you spoke to.

Feel free to reach out to us via Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can take a closer look. If you are unfamiliar with our Private Messaging system please Click Here.

RogersTony

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation