Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Ask the CSR if he or she can run a signals check on the modem.  Indicate that you can't log into the modem.  Its one of two problems, a signal issue, or the modem is failing.  My bet would be with a signal issue. There's a good chance that the CSR won't be able to interrogate the modem either,so, I'd say its time for a tech.  

As for living in a condo, the modem might be connected to an external CMTS, or it might be connected to a Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) if your condo building large enough.  Essentially its the same as a neighborhood CMTS, but, designed for data distribution for large buildings.  The CSR might be able to tell you which one the modem is connected to.  If its an MDU, I would say that someone has gone into the utility room for another customer and accidently done something to your cable that connects to the MDU.  Hopefully its that simple. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers switched me to a Hitron unit Hope it is better than Cisco

I've Been Here Awhile

I recently switched to Rogers Ignite 30 from an older plan, and now have a Cisco DPC3825 WiFi gateway. It works fine for most things, but I've been having issues with large downloads (generally > 300 MB or so) over WiFi arriving "corrupted".

Repeated attempts to download the latest PlayStation 4 system update (both on the system itself and on my computer) resulted in corrupt files. Same thing with the most recent iOS update, which I attempted to download several times through iTunes on my Mac.

I tried plugging my PS4 into the gateway directly with an ethernet cable, and the system update downloaded perfectly the first time. This method wouldn't be practical for other downloads on my Mac, however, as it is physically too far away from the gateway...

Any idea what could be wrong with my WiFi connections? Everything else (web, email, etc.) seems to be fine.

Any and all help much appreciated!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The wifi on that is pretty basic.. not overly strong.. and very prone to interfearance, etc.

What sort of setup are you in?  House or townhouse/apartment?  Just wondering if there may be something else interfearing with it now.

Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

If your devices will connect, change the SSID to force a reconnect with new settings after setting 2.4g to "n" and security to WPA2-AES. This improves the performance of the wifi a great amount. Also make sure the modem is up off of the floor and doesn't have anything within 12 inches that may cause interference.

Brian

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Klieg you could try swapping the modem, could be a physical issue with the unit, as it's an older refurbished model.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

The wireless gateway is in the same room as my PS4 and Mac, less than 15 feet away from either (and in the same spot where my previous Hitron CGN2 modem was located with no issues). I tried moving it as close as possible to my Mac, but I still encountered "corrupt" downloads.

For interest's sake, I also tried putting my iPhone literally two inches away from the gateway and downloaded an iOS update on the phone itself, but it too arrived "corrupt". What's odd is that these downloads appear to be complete (ie. the full file size).

It's looking like I'll have to contact Rogers and see if I can swap out this modem for a newer model. Perhaps I'd have better luck with a dual-band gateway.

Once again, thanks for helping everyone 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Klieg try and get a Hitron CGN3 series modem if possible, also be sure to explain the issues you are currently having with the Cisco.

I Plan to Stick Around

The Hitron they gave me is a CGN3 but they are charging me $10 a month for this on the 30 ignite package. Is this the "Rocket" modem I have seen reference to? Why do they charge to fix a problem?

I'm a Senior Advisor

I heard the same message - the 30 program, if you change anything will go to charging you ten dollars more for the next modem which may fix your problems.  Try escalating to manager, then submit a concern which goes to Office of President and see if you can get a reasonable response.

If you buy the 30 right now, you will get the Cisco, which also has the issue of single band crowding on 2.4Mhz, but of course, you can go up to the next modem for 10.00 now, or also go to a higher package and not pay too.

See what you can achieve - or get them to provide another Cisco to replace and see if that improves, but if they force you to go up modem to solve "their" problems, I would push to not pay for it.

Bruce