Chromecast problem - CGN2

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Chromecast problem - CGN2

I've had a CGN2 for a while now, using it as my modem and router.  Unlike many folks, it's always worked like a charm for me.  Good signal all over the house, good speed, etc...

That is until I bought a Chromecast this week.  It boots up and connects to the network and my tablet (a Nexus 7) sees it and was able to connect to it to configure it.  However, whenever I try casting anything, the connection fails.  After a couple seconds, it shows up again as available on my tablet, but trying again and again does nothing.

So, I thought maybe it was the Chromecast unit, so I exchanged it for another and had the same problem.  Some googling tells me that it is probably an issue with how the CGN2 unit functions as a router (related to how the Chromecast defaults to Google's DNS).

Are there any workarounds or do I seriously have to dig out my old standalone router to get this to work?  I know most people say you're better off with a standalone router and using the CGN2 in bridge mode purely as a modem....but aside from my Chromecast issue, everything else always works flawlessly and has for a long time and I'd hate to mess around with that if I don't have to.

Suggestions appreciated!  Thanks.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Chromecast problem - CGN2

Wow...I found this solution (and it was literally the only mention of this approach among the many posts)...

http://warrengroom.is/fixing/his-chromecast-and-rogers-hitron-cgn3-rog-settings/

and it worked!  This is intended for the CGN3, but I just entered these recommended DNS addresses into the WAN/LAN setting area of the CGN2 menu.

I should also mention that my chromecast also updated itself to the latest firmware yesterday as well.  Perhaps this is a factor too....but all I can tell you is that everything was working last night.  I could cast apps and cast my tablet screen with no problems at all, while still using the CGN2 as both modem and router.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It looks like your going to have to go the route of Bridging the CGN2 and using your own router.  This has come up previously.  Have a look at the following posts:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/152...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/180...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks....I did see those....I just can't believe that there isn't a simpler solution for someone like me who is perfectly happy running the CGN2 as a gateway.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think the problem stems from the functionality that has been disabled within the modems.  Seems that the only way to solve the problem is to use your own router.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Wow...I found this solution (and it was literally the only mention of this approach among the many posts)...

http://warrengroom.is/fixing/his-chromecast-and-rogers-hitron-cgn3-rog-settings/

and it worked!  This is intended for the CGN3, but I just entered these recommended DNS addresses into the WAN/LAN setting area of the CGN2 menu.

I should also mention that my chromecast also updated itself to the latest firmware yesterday as well.  Perhaps this is a factor too....but all I can tell you is that everything was working last night.  I could cast apps and cast my tablet screen with no problems at all, while still using the CGN2 as both modem and router.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Congrats.  Don't know why Open DNS address would work in the DNS field and not the Google address.  Were you using Rogers DNS previously (empty fields) or Googles DNS address?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to have the steps listed within the forum, they are shown below.  Although they apply to the CGN3, it appears that it applies to others as well.

1.  Log into your modem.

2.  Click the ‘Basic’ menu option at the top of the page, within the main menu

3.  Click the ‘DNS’ menu option within the secondary menu that appears

4.  Change the ‘LAN DNS Obtain:’ option to manual

5.  Enter DNS1: 208.67.222.222

6.  Enter DNS2: 208.67.220.220

7.  Save your changes

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I've got the CGN2 router and experiencing the same problem.  

Can you tell me exactly where you put these new DNS addresses.  I'm not too savvy and unclear as to which fields I should be inputting these new addresses.

Thanks,

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Log into the CGN2 and bring up the WAN/LAN > IP page from the menu on the left hand side.  At the top is the WAN Information.  Checkmark the Enabled box for "Assign DNS Manually" and then enter the Open DNS addresses in the fields just under that.

1.  Enter DNS1: 208.67.222.222

2.  Enter DNS2: 208.67.220.220

3.  Hit the Apply button at the bottom of the page.

4.  Click WAN/LAN > Backup.

5.  Select Reboot in order to restart the CGN2 with it using Open DNS as your Domain Name Server.

That should do it.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am experiencing the same problem getting my chromecast to connect to my Rogers CGN2.  Can you explain the process for "logging into the CGN2".  I assume I do that through the internet. If so how do I do that exactly.  My router/modem is on another floor in my home from where I am trying to set up the chromecast - is that a problem?  Thank you for your help.