Chromecast icon is not showing/disappeared from my iPhone as well as TV casting!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Chromecast icon is not showing/disappeared from my iPhone as well as TV casting!

Just thought I'd post an update to how things are working for me:

So, to reiterate, I have _not_ upgraded my Rogers modem to any beta firmware, it is still running whatever version is considered stable and which has been propagated to all customers with this modem model.  See my previous messages for exact modem name and firmware version, etc.  Instead, my setup is to use a third-party router.

My primary use of the Chromecast is to cast from apps on a tablet.  What I've found over the last month or so is that some apps (like MLB and Youtube) work without issues, and can always find the Chromecast and cast to it.  Some other apps, such as Netflix and Shomi, regularly experience problems.  I was able to solve some of the issues by making sure the Netflix and Shomi apps are up-to-date from the app store, but even up to today, Netflix sometimes can no longer cast until I do a full, hard reset of the Chromecast (hold button down for 10+ seconds) and set up the Chromecast with the Google Cast app all over again.  But I've had to do that twice now, so if that pattern continues, it'll be pretty annoying.

I am beginning to suspect that these issues are not all Rogers' fault, and that all three players have to "dance" well together.  And by the three dancers, I mean (1) the Rogers modem+firmware (or your third-party router and its firmware), (2) the Chromecast device and its firmware, and (3) the particular apps you are casting from.

All in all, this is rather a nuisance and headache, and I'm beginning to wonder if I should just shop around for a Chromecast competitor device.

I've Been Around

Re: Chromecast icon is not showing/disappeared from my iPhone as well as TV casting!

I am having issues with my chromcast and cgn3 modem. I was wondering if I could have access to the new modem firmware update to resolve the issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gman1979, have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for instructions on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

When you are sending the private message as indicated in that post, also log into your modem and copy the HFC MAC address and modem Serial number and paste that into the message.  The HFC MAC Address and modem Serial Number can be found on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem.  The Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N can also be found on the back of the modem.

I'm Here A Lot

Sorry to resurrect a dormant thread, but I thought some might be interested to know that I have been essentially problem-free since my last post in August (so that's more than 3 months now).  My setup/solution was to use a standalone router.  All devices and apps are working fine with my old-gen (first gen?) Chromecast.

Hi @ItsCalldSkydome,

Welcome to the Community!

Thank you for sharing the update with us, good to know the issue has been resolved.

RogersZia

I'm an Advisor

Hi @ItsCalldSkydome @Datalink etc.

Recently I upgraded my ancient Rogers ( Motorola) modem and wireless router to a CGN2, thanks to a Rogers tech who was there to fix a cable TV issue and noticed the  old modem.  

Now my Chromecast does not work for most apps. 

Do I go back to using my wireless router office Rogers have a software upgrade for the CGN2 ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersDave  would probably be able to give you an exact answer as to why the CGN2 doesn't work with a Chromecast device, and as far as I am aware, there probably isn't a firmware upgrade planned for that modem, but don't quote me on that one.  I suspect that the answer to the dilemma is to return to using your own router.  Just a word of caution, look at your firmware date for the router to see how old it is.  If it hasn't been updated any time in the last two to three years and there is no firmware update available, you should look into loading DD-WRT possibly if that modem is supported, or consider replacing the router.  Just depends on how old the router is and how old the firmware is.

I'm an Advisor

Thx  I would much prefer to use only one box.   @RogersDave. Any fix ?

Chromcast with my own wireless router worked before, so it should work again as part of a 2 box solution.

Over the last couple years, it seems Rogers is very good at going 3 steps backwards, for every 2 forward.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@park depending on your internet plan, if you can step up to a CGN3ACSMR, CGN3ACR, or CGN3AMR, you could then request firmware version 4.5.8.27, which would support your Chromecast device.  It all depends on the plan and what modems are allowed under that plan. 

I'm an Advisor

@I wrote:

Hi ..........

Recently I upgraded my ancient Rogers ( Motorola) modem and wireless router to a CGN2, thanks to a Rogers tech who was there to fix a cable TV issue and noticed the  old modem.  

Now my Chromecast does not work for most apps. 

Do I go back to using my wireless router office Rogers have a software upgrade for the CGN2 ?

Mea culpa.  Got Chromecast working fine with the CGN2