Chromecast icon is not showing/disappeared from my iPhone as well as TV casting!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Chromecast icon is not showing/disappeared from my iPhone as well as TV casting!

ItsCalldSkydome, are you telling me you're using Chromecast with 4.5.8.20 without any issues whatsoever....even after 30 minutes? I find that a bit hard to believe. I have 11 devices in my home that use the casting feature, whether for Chromecast or YouTube or Netflix (yes, 11), and none of them worked for any longer than 30 minutes with 4.5.8.20. Once I went back to 4.5.8.16, all casting devices instantly worked. This is not a fluke.....this was the result of bad firmware. Yes, 4.5.8.20 worked fine for everything else, but not for casting. If you were able to flawlessly use Chromecast etc with this firmware, then you have a different version of 4.5.8.20 than I did. I'm a pretty computer savvy guy and I can say with 100% certainty that all casting issues with all my devices were caused by the shift to 4.5.8.20.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Chromecast icon is not showing/disappeared from my iPhone as well as TV casting!

@Zaphod99

I'm not saying .20 is completely problem-free.  Once every 1 or 2 days, I might have to reconnect, or power cycle the Chromecast, but otherwise, yes it's able to cast for more than half an hour.  I'll mention, though, that I mostly use it for Netflix and Shomi, so I can't attest to whether it works or not for other apps, or for casting from computers.

Anyway, .22 is supposed to fix things for us, so let's see.

I've Been Here Awhile

Guys, IF you have the Rogers Hitron CGN3ACSMR router/modem, here is the ONLY solution (that actually WORKS) to fixing the Chromecast and Chromecast Audio streaming issues that are 100% related to Rogers recent 4.8.5.20 firmware update... First, you have to buy a new router (no way around this) and connect it with an Ethernet cable to the Hitron router/modem. Then, while connected to the Hitron router/modem with an Internet cable, open a web browser (ie. Chrome) and type in http://192.168.0.1/. This will access your Hitron router/modem settings. Enter "cusadmin" and the username and "password" as the password. Once logged in, you'll need to disable the "Residentail Gateway Function", which turns the Hitron modem/router into just a modem and uses the new router you just bought as the router. To do this, click on "Basic", then "Gateway Function", then "Disabled" beside "Residential Gateway Function", then "save changes". Now, I suggest changing your wireless network name (I found my chromecast devices had trouble connecting when I used the same network name). Then, reset your chromecast to its factory settings (hold reset button down for 1 minute or so on chromecast device) and setup your chromecast again.

Coming from someone who has probably now spent 60+ hours troubleshooting this issue from the beginning (day after rogers updated the Hitron modem with the new firmware), I can tell you that any other fixes you read are rubbish and will NOT work. Your only other option would be to wait for Rogers/Hitron/Chromecast to release a firmware update that addresses the chromecast streaming issue (I waited about a month and was not willing to wait any longer).  For the record, the latest Firmware 4.5.8.21 beta does NOT fix the problem. And, requesting Rogers to rollback the firmware to the version previous to 4.8.5.20 does NOT permanently fix the problem because the Rogers system will end up automatically overwriting the firmware back to 4.8.5.20.

I am not sure if my fix works for other modems, but, I know 100% that this fix is the only fix that worked for me.

Other than "thank you for solving my problem", please don't message me questions, because after spending so much time on this issue, I am DONE and will not respond.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes ,you are correct.  4.5.8.21 does not resolve the Chromecast issue.  4.5.8.22 does.  It's  available now for test purposes.  So, buying and installing a router is not the only way to resolve Chromecast issues.  Personal opinion, I'd like to see Google make the Chromecast ethernet cable available in Canada.  That would possibly be another way around this as users wouldn't be relying solely on the wifi capability of whatever modem or router they happen to be using. 

I had indicated that 4.5.8.22 was available in post #46 on the previous page.  Unfortunately, sometimes previous posts are not reviewed by users looking for solutions to issues when they arise.

Having said that, note that I absolutely support running a good third party router for a number of reasons, including better wifi performance, access to all of the settings that impact applications or devices connected to the router, network privacy as an ISP will not be able to see your network beyond the modem, etc, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the update. I performed this fix last Thursday. I just got around to posting my message to help other Rogers customers yesterday. I did a quick glance a newer posts to see if there were any fixes and I guess I missed your post #46. I just requested the firmware trial and will return my 3rd party router to get back my $230 if this works.

I've Been Around

It's not the 5Ghz.....   When you save any changes to the wifi settings, you will be able to see all the connected casting devices, but the same old story goes on......

I Plan to Stick Around

Zaphod99 wrote:
ItsCalldSkydome, are you telling me you're using Chromecast with 4.5.8.20 without any issues whatsoever....even after 30 minutes? I find that a bit hard to believe. I have 11 devices in my home that use the casting feature, whether for Chromecast or YouTube or Netflix (yes, 11), and none of them worked for any longer than 30 minutes with 4.5.8.20. Once I went back to 4.5.8.16, all casting devices instantly worked. This is not a fluke.....this was the result of bad firmware. Yes, 4.5.8.20 worked fine for everything else, but not for casting. If you were able to flawlessly use Chromecast etc with this firmware, then you have a different version of 4.5.8.20 than I did. I'm a pretty computer savvy guy and I can say with 100% certainty that all casting issues with all my devices were caused by the shift to 4.5.8.20.

I have 4.5.8.20 and my chromecast also stopped working... I know it worked when I was on 4.5.8.16

I Plan to Stick Around

i can atleast confirm that the beta firmware discussed in this thread does indeed fix the chromecast issue. It is not a chromecast issue but a modem/router firmware issue. After spending several weeks searching for a solution and having to run to the modem to rest it to use the chromecast several times a day this is a welcome solution.

I wonder why this solution hasn't been more publicaly talked about by Rogers? at one poit i thought about buying a new chromecast as i thought mine went belly up.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron Router firmware update needed to correct failures of Chrome cast, 

I've Been Here Awhile

Router Firmware update was release June 21, 2016, somehow I am still waiting ... and it is July 2nd, 2016.