Thought I'd report in after going through a trial firmware update. I'm running 22.214.171.124 and this problem is still not fixed. Goodbye, Rogers. Thanks for wasting my time. Just called Bell and they'll be here on Saturday morning to install my new internet. Finally going with a company that actually provides a serevice that works. First thing the guy on the phone said is, "Let me guess, Rogers firmware problem?" Haha....
Firmware update did nothing to solve this problem. Called Bell and making the switch on Saturday. I'm convinced this will never be fixed.
I feel your pain. I'm done with Rogers. I have wasted 11 years of my life as a customer of theirs and I've had it. Unaccpetable incompetence at evey level. When they screw up, they screw up big. Sadly, the only solution I have come up with is to switch to Bell. The technician will be here Saturday and I got a great deal.
Hi, thanks for checking on the .21 firmware. i've been considering a switch to another carrier as well. II use the chromecast for so much, and the fact that the simple device doesnt work is really disappointing. I'll give it a month to see what happens, but i have a feeling this issue will not be resolved in a timely manner. Thanks for pointing out Bell, ill see what kind of deals theyre offering now
Now that user Zaphod99 has confirmed the firmware update 126.96.36.199 does not solve the problem, does anyone think that either A) purchasing a new router to use with a Rogers modem or C) replacing the current Hitron router with their older 2.4G-only capability would temporarily solve the issue?
I'm curious to know if any confirmed Rogers staff members actually read or offer any solutions to these posts. We're all going around in circles here and there's no sign of a Rogers employee. We all have hundres of dollars worth of equipment that no longer works because of these firmware updates and we don't even get a single acknowlegment that this problem has been recognixed. I'm wondering if this is perhaps deliberate and, for some reason, Rogers don't want their customers using chromecast etc. Thoughts?
The manual DNS solution does not work. Like everything else, it appears to work for about an hour and then the icon disappears once again.
Here is the story that i got yesterday:
I reset my chromcast a half a dozen times and truly thought i had a faulty unit.
Exchanged it with no issues, and had the same problem with the new one
Got onto the online chat with a rogers tech..... he said the modem was working fine and if i wanted to fix the issue with chromcast a tech would be willing to try for 129.99 plus tax.
My answer was really? thats your solution?
He then told me that the issue was with chromcast, i should call them.... so i did
Chromcast advised that the update on the router made chromcast incompatble with this specific hitron modem and that they are in negotiations not just with Rogers but also with Hitron.
Right now there is no fix .... although i did not try the changes on the modem settings as of yet
After what i heard from chromcast i have a feeling it wont work for any length of times
1: Has anyone tried a Factory Reset for Hitron modem? Does it help resolving the issue?
2: would switching to older 2.4G only modems be a solution to chromecast problem? How do we know Rogers also didn't recently do the same mess up in other modems to block chromecast - not fixing this self-created problem suits them as it saves them a lot of bandwidth !
I have Chromecast and it was working fine and I can send videos from my iPhone from YouTube and other applicable applications. Chomecast is not the only device I can cast videos on, my Samsung TV can cast as well.
Now the icon disappeared from YouTube and other apps and I am not able to see the icon for both (Chromecast and TV). I tried to reset Chromecast, but the setup can not go through. Chromcast support suggested that I have to change a router setting, for example, AP Isolation is to be Disabled.
Note that I have't change anything I mean router or phone or app settings.
Chromecast no longer works on Hitron
I'm not sure what happened but it seems that the Chromecast no longer works properly. Rebooting the modem restores the Chromecast functionality temporarily but after about 30 mins it's gone again even though it's connected to the network.
Ok...so there is a fix. It is 100% bad firmware. Don't let anyone tell you differenly. This is a problem caused by Rogers. The update to 188.8.131.52 killed all casting. I contacted Rogers on this forum (not technical support on the phone) and asked to be rolled back to the previous firmware (184.108.40.206). The problem was instantly fixed. Thank goodness because I had already scheduled an appointment with Bell this past Saturday, and was fully prepared to change providers. This fix has kept me a Rogers customer...that is, until the next untested stupid update they try and force on me.
Just adding my data to this thread.
Note that this message contains an admission that the current firmware version (220.127.116.11) is known to have/cause problems with Chromecast.
Maybe a week ago, my devices stopped seeing my Chromecast (older generation). Meaning to say, the apps did not have the casting icon (rectangle with wifi waves in the corner) any more. All manner of Chromecast hard resets, unplugs, replugs, and router power cycling did nothing. I even went and bought a current-gen Chromecast, thinking my old one got broken, possibly by a firmware update from Google. But both devices exhibited the same problems.
However, as of right now, I have both devices working. Here's my current setup and what I did:
Hope this helps others.
At this point, I'm just waiting to see if the older-gen Chromecast holds up for a few more days without problems, then I'll return the new-gen one I just bought.
If anyone can tell me how to determine my router/modem firmware version, I will update this post with my version. (Found it with some help.)