Chromecast icon is not showing/disappeared from my iPhone as well as TV casting!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Chromecast icon is not showing/disappeared from my iPhone as well as TV casting!

I have Chromecast and it was working fine and I can send videos from my iPhone from YouTube and other applicable applications. Chomecast is not the only device I can cast videos on, my Samsung TV can cast as well. 

Now the icon disappeared from YouTube and other apps and I am not able to see the icon for both (Chromecast and TV). I tried to reset Chromecast, but the setup can not go through. Chromcast support suggested that I have to change a router setting, for example, AP Isolation is to be Disabled.

Note that I have't change anything I mean router or phone or app settings.

Thanks 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Chromecast icon is not showing/disappeared from my iPhone as well as TV casting!

1.  Are you using the Hitron modem as the wifi router, or are you running the modem in bridge mode with a router behind it?

2.  If you are using the Hitron modem as the wifi router, do you have a CGN3ACSMR as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem?

3.  If it is a CGN3ACSMR, can you log into the modem and check the Software (Firmware) version as indicated on the STATUS page that comes up when you log into the modem.  Do you have version 4.5.8.16, or 4.5.8.20 which is a new firmware version?

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Chromecast icon is not showing/disappeared from my iPhone as well as TV casting!

I have Hitron modem as Wifi router - CGN3ACSMR and Software version is 4.5.8.20

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, 4.5.8.20 was issued starting last week, so the timing of the Chromecast issue is a little suspicious.  There are two things that might be at fault here:

1.  The AP isolated as you indicated.  This setting on the modem or router will allow devices on the same network to communicate with each other if allowed.

2.  IPV6

Have a look at the upper right hand corner of the STATUS page for the WAN IP address.   You might see two addresses there, an IPV4 and IPV6 address.  If you only see the IPV4 address, then the modem requires a factory reset to enable IPV6 operation, but, that also means that hopefully the AP Isolated setting might be at fault.  Maybe it was flipped for this firmware build. 

Call Tech Support and ask the CSR to check the wifi settings that he or she has access to and see if there is an AP Isolated setting in the Wifi settings.  He or she might try to shuffle you off to the Techxpert service which is a pay service.  Whether you want to go that route is up to you, but for 69.99$ per shot, my advice would be to look into buying a good third party router.  But, it doesn't hurt to ask about the setting to see what turns up.

You might have to do some reading about Chromecast and IPV6, just to see what you can find on the net.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you look at the STATUS panel and see both an IPV4 and IPV6 address in the upper right hand corner, that presents a dilemma.  The question at that point is whether or not the problem is related to IPV6, or if its related to any Acces Point Isolated settings.  If tech support is of no assistance in the AP Isolated issue, look at the Chromecast IPV6 settings, if any exist and see if there are any changes that can, or that have to be made with for IPV6 operation.  You might have to run the setup again now that IPV6 is in operation.

I've Been Around

I having almost the same issue. So, I factory reset my chromecast then tried to connect to the WIFI but it still doesnt work. Must be the update that they did because if the IPV6. Is there a way to work around this? I use my chromecast a lot!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had a quick look for Chromecast IPV6 info and didn't find very much at all.  This isn't the first time that Chromecast runs in to IPV6 and it certainly won't be the last.  You might have to try Chromecast support and the comcast forum looking for IPV6 Chromecast posts.  Here's a list that I came across in the Comcast forum:

• AP isolation must be disabled
  • Client isolation must be disabled
  • UPNP must be enabled
  • You must not be on a VPN

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Chromecast-and-Arris-TG862-Gateway/td-p/197...

The only item that Hitron users have access to is the UPNP setting.  I don't know if there is a setting available to Tech Support to enable or disable Client Isolation.  Another post indicates:

Windows 8      Ensure your TCP/IPv6 settings are enabled on Windows 8

http://doceocenter.org/Chromecast_Network_Issues

There seems to be some conflicting advice here and there and a complete lack of IPV6 instructions from Google.  All I can suggest at the present time is to find out from tech support if there is a Client Isolation setting that can be disabled, turn on UPNP in the modem and determine if your laptop or other device has IPV6 enabled.  Beyond that, digging through the Google and Comcast forums might turn up a working solution.  Personal opinion, it might be time to bite the bullet and buy a good router that gives you access to these settings.  Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

I Plan to Stick Around

This isn't a solution. The update to 4.5.8.20 has caused problems for everyone using chromecast or anying casting ap. Once again, Rogers causes problems for people and then fail to even recognise that they're the ones who caused the problem in the first place.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm having the exact same issue. It is caused by Rogers new formware, so hopefully they'll fix it soon. With the usual speed they solve problems, I expect it to be fixed by sometime mid-2017.