Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

And what would it do if I wrote: "The one thing I have no need for is another laptop."?

I Plan to Stick Around

I would rephrase slightly if you were to suggest the question to Rogers for their FAQ.

"Is any of the content of my email retained by Verizon/Oath/Yahoo Email, their affiliates or third parties as defined and list in the Oath Terms and Conditions and is that data provided in perpetuity or restricted? "

"If content is retained what are the specific elements of the content retained?"

"What are the definitions for Personal Information and Account Information and what are the differences in how they are retained or used?"

"When Personal Information and general information is acquired from other third parties when they interact with Oath/Yahoo products and services is that Personal Information permanently linked to my Personal Information that Oath/Yahoo holds?  Is that Personal Information treated differently from my Personal Information that Verizon/Oath/Yahoo is already in possession of?"

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dlforkes wrote:

And what would it do if I wrote: "The one thing I have no need for is another laptop."?

It still might trigger it?
Again, no expert, I dont work for any of these companies, etc.. so not sure on how ALL of their algorithms work.  Depends on how smart they are.

This is just from experience working in IT and working with email management, etc.. and with how the clients & or email spam scanners generally work.

I've Been Around

Thanks! Good points.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Seems like most major things got addressed - way to go everybody who took a stand and pushed.

Democracy in action - the power of coordinated speech to take on an issue impacting large groups of people against corporations.

I am sure there will still be answers required of Rogers and Oath to the privacy commission, and maybe we hear the results.

What I still would like to see is more clear and transparent description of the roles and responsibilities of Rogers in connection to giving access to the Yahoo information -  it remains unclear and certaily far from clear and transparent.

Life goes on, but I do now read those terms much closer, and have begun to contact and ask questions and decline to go forward with them.  Also means that for Canadian companies, they will have to read and explain the terms to me one by one due to my reading and comprehension disabilities (as required by AODA law).  If it was truly clear and transparent, this would be a lot easier. 

I had a Nest install yesterday through the Green program, and he whipped through an electronic terms on his cell phone, then ask me to do a survey - I told him that due to my disabilities, I had to have him read it to me and clarify before I would sign - at first he said he didn't have time, I advised him of my rights under the law and he agreed to do so.  I choose to decline on the survey as it was optional, but since it provides feedback to the company on his work, he then chose to read it and summarize it, but he wrote, verbally explained, answered, but client would not sign as he did not have complete understanding of the survey due to his reading disability.

So, I will be reading the terms more clearly these days than I did before, as we all should, but the companies are going to have to work more with me under Ontario Law, and in the US, same requirement is under ADA.

Learning experience - but it certainly has reduced my respect and trust in organizations who are not fully clear and transparent - say like the Mozilla agreement - I can understand that one - in general it is a page long, but then again, they are also not asking much of us.  Proton Mail - a few paragaphs, DuckDuckGo one paragraph.  and Mozilla even links you to their affiliate aggregate analysis companies, so you even know who those "associated companies and third parties actually are".  No vague references there at all.

Bruce

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

I received the boiler plate response from the Rogers Privacy Office the other day.  Exact same wording as others have reported so it is obvious that the office is not reading individual emails or tailoring responses to questions posed.

My response to the boiler plate was as follows:

"How does Rogers define “Personal Information”?

How does Rogers define Account Information?

Has Rogers reviewed the Oath Yahoo Privacy Policy with Rogers Privacy Policy to determine if they are consistent and compatible?

I pay Rogers for my Rogers.com email accounts through my internet fees which cover all overhead costs (General and Administrative), and which may include a profit mark up, for my access and use of rogers.com emails. That places my contractual relationship for my Rogers.com emails directly between Rogers and myself. Rogers therefore has a contractual obligation to myself.

My relationship to a third party or affiliate email provider such as Yahoo is determined by Rogers. Rogers determines the affiliate or third party to provide email infrastructure for Rogers.com emails. As a Rogers client, I have no authority to interfere with the agreements that Rogers establishes with third party service providers in contract with Rogers or their affiliates.

The obligation for Rogers is therefore clear in relation to Yahoo and Oath. Rogers must ensure and confirm that third party providers they contract with meet and satisfy all Canadian regulations regarding privacy and confidentiality and be in a position to certify to clients such as myself that there is no risk to myself and that Rogers as the “prime contractor” assumes all responsibility and liability for the actions of its subcontractors or affiliated contractors now and in the future.

Has Rogers accepted and declared that they assume and accept this responsibility, as well as all current and future liabilities, that may arise from Oath/Yahoo’s handling and care of Rogers client data (personal and account related)?"

I admit my expectations are low as to the quality of any response.   Anything more than the boiler plate will be a pleasent surprise.  Any responsive answer will be shocking.

I Plan to Stick Around

@BS

"Seems like most major things got addressed - way to go everybody who took a stand and pushed.

Democracy in action - the power of coordinated speech to take on an issue impacting large groups of people against corporations.

I am sure there will still be answers required of Rogers and Oath to the privacy commission, and maybe we hear the results."

Wholeheartedly agree with that and very well said!

Contacted the CEO of Rogers via email and received a very prompt response and also spoke to someone on the phone at length from the  Office of the President at Rogers.

In addition I've also contacted Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada via phone and email and received a very prompt response from them as well.

Am already seeing results. Well done everyone!

This is making me feel a little bit easier about keeping my rogers.com emails without having the need to use another email service.

Still not clicking on accepting the Oath TOS until the results from the privacy commission contacting them and Rogers are made available to the public.

I Plan to Stick Around

@LLB

Whom did you contact?

Try this instead.

*Contact the CEO of Rogers via email.

*The Ombudsman at Rogers.

*Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada via email and telephone.

I got very prompt responses and also received phone calls via this method.

The Rogers Privacy Office is probably sending generic emails since there are so many people contacting them.

@LLB

"The obligation for Rogers is therefore clear in relation to Yahoo and Oath. Rogers must ensure and confirm that third party providers they contract with meet and satisfy all Canadian regulations regarding privacy and confidentiality and be in a position to certify to clients such as myself that there is no risk to myself and that Rogers as the “prime contractor” assumes all responsibility and liability for the actions of its subcontractors or affiliated contractors now and in the future."

This is a very good point that you have addressed.

You should also submit this to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada via email.

They have a form that you fill out by either submitting an email request for information or by submitting a complaint.

I Plan to Stick Around

@bibbinut I’m happy they removed the clause concerning our contacts but still have an issue with Oath scanning our emails, photos and financial information to use as they please. 

This is still an invasion of privacy.

I’ve been communicating with the Case Manager at the Office of the President.

I sent her my concerns and she is aware how this policy is disturbing to customers. She will keep me updated via email, since we were playing phone tag all week.  She is assuring me Rogers is taking this seriously and investigating. 

The links to opt out of marketing is not good enough.

Opting out of Oath’s desire to store and use my private data is what I want. This should not have been included in countries that honour privacy laws. 

I will resume sending letters to all departments, especially government, that can help in this matter. 

I don’t feel comfortable giving this much personal information to a country that is trying to work around our laws. This may give precedence to other foreign countries to do the same. 

I will not be using any services owned by Oath and have deleted accounts, my rogers email will be the last to go. I opened a new email account and will limit who has access. 

Not fun sifting through 20 years of online use with my rogers.com email but it will be worth it if my data is protected.

For me, the battle continues.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Nettangel

"The links to opt out of marketing is not good enough.

Opting out of Oath’s desire to store and use my private data is what I want. This should not have been included in countries that honour privacy laws."

Also don't like this as well.

I've also included that in my formal complaint to Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada via email.

Also have yahoo email addresses and content from those emails are being transferred over to my gmx.com emails.

Am  using my rogers.com emails primarily and won't delete them or no longer use them unless I absolutely have to do so.

I pay for those with my email Rogers internet service contract. It's been verified with the billing department at Rogers and email tech support and customer relations as well.  This is what happened after I called in said I was seriously thinking about cancelling my Rogers internet service in light of what's been happening with Oath.

IMHO Rogers needs to host emails on their own servers, which is doable.

I run my own computer consulting business and am in IT.

My recommendation for everyone here, including myself(and what I've recommended to my clients who have Rogers as their ISP)is to not accept the Oath TOS until either their TOS is held fully accountable to our Canadian laws and accountable to Rogers. Or if and when Rogers severs their ties with Oath completely.

May 25th is the deadline and we as Rogers customers have plenty of time to transfer our contacts and data if we absolutely have to do so to another email provider.

Rogers does have to pay if you choose to use a paid email service provider instead of your rogers.com email addresses since they are not honouring their contractual agreement as stipulated in your internet service contract.

Being a former Rogers agent myself and speaking with Rogers email tech support and billing and the OOP this is FACT.

Have spoken to them at length regarding my concerns regarding Oath and discussed my Rogers account and the services that I have with Rogers.