Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Free, huh? So my pal, Bill, heard about this free, optional, service that not only hosts your email, but reads it for you, and sends messages to your friends on your behalf and he can't wait to get an account. He doesn't have an Internet Service Provider - just uses the free stuff at Tim's and the library.

How can he become bill@rogers.com?

I Plan to Stick Around

Nothing is "FREE"

Emails are part of Rogers overhead and costed in their budgets to determine what clients will be required to pay for bundled internet services and options.

Think of a restaurant:  candies at the cash, toothpicks, paper napkins, take out containers for left overs.....

You aren't charged directly for these items if you use them and you don't see them list as a separate line item (like shop supplies at a garage).  But the restaurant recovers the costs through its pricing model.

Rogers recoups the administrative and infrastructure costs of email through its pricing model.  If they entered the costs as a separate line item and priced it users would have higher expectations and would do price comparison.  Rogers also knows few people use all their 9 emails and many never use a rogers email but the pricing model distributes the costs of emails across all users regardless.

Nothing is free.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Zaphod64

"Similarly, Globe reporter Christine Dobby recently reported that Rogers Communications Inc. internet users with @rogers.com e-mail addresses (provided by Yahoo, now owned by Oath Inc.) have discovered that agreeing to their terms of service implies consent from your contacts that Oath or a third party can send them messages about its services. The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada said it has received numerous concerned calls about it − and plans to discuss it with Rogers directly."

Good to know.

I have also called The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.

I Plan to Stick Around

@dlforkes

"Free, huh? So my pal, Bill, heard about this free, optional, service that not only hosts your email, but reads it for you, and sends messages to your friends on your behalf and he can't wait to get an account. He doesn't have an Internet Service Provider - just uses the free stuff at Tim's and the library.

How can he become bill@rogers.com?"

FYI He can't become bill@rogers.com for free.
He has to pay for internet with Rogers and that includes access to rogers.com email addresses which you pay for with your internet package. How many paid email rogers.com addresses you get depends on your type of package that you purchase.
It is NOT free email addresses with Rogers. Never ever was.

I Plan to Stick Around

I also pay for an unlisted number with Rogers Home Phone.

And I've got it set up that I can see my voice mail through my *@rogers.com main email when I am not at home.

Oath sure as heck is never ever going to have to access to that information!

I Plan to Stick Around

Just got a response from the email that I sent to the Rogers Office of the Ombudsman.

Very pleased that they responded so quickly.

Ms. My Last Name,

Thank you for contacting the Rogers Office of the Ombudsman. I am sorry to learn of your concern, and would like to assure you that we will do everything we can to help you seek resolution.
As you may have read in the “Privacy & CRTC” section of our website, Rogers has appointed a Chief Privacy Officer (CPO) who oversees Rogers’ privacy compliance.
I have reached out to the Rogers Privacy Office and determined that your concern was not yet brought to their attention. As such, I have shared your correspondence with them and can confirm that you will be contacted in the coming days regarding this matter.
Again, thank you for bringing your concern to my attention.
Regards,
First and Last Name
Ombudsperson

They are taking this matter very, very seriously.

I Plan to Stick Around

@bibbinut

It's great that they responded quickly. Pardon my cynicism, but if Rogers' privacy office isn't aware of this issue, given its rather high profile over recent days, someone is asleep at the wheel! I will be very interested to see their response. I hope you will share it.

I Plan to Stick Around

@LynnGrwrote:

@bibbinut

It's great that they responded quickly. Pardon my cynicism, but if Rogers' privacy office isn't aware of this issue, given its rather high profile over recent days, someone is asleep at the wheel! I will be very interested to see their response. I hope you will share it.

More to the point, why didn't they review this policy before it was pushed out?

I Plan to Stick Around

@JKnott

I suspect the answer to that is, it's a Yahoo/Oath policy being foisted on Rogers customers, and Oath didn't bother to share it with Rogers in advance. But why Rogers didn't check it out as soon as the new policy survaced is another question.

I Plan to Stick Around

@LynnGr

Am thinking that Rogers is getting a lot of calls and a lot of emails regarding this debacle with the Yahoo/Oath policy being foisted on Rogers customers as you say without their consent.

Am also thinking that the reason Rogers didn't check it out as soon as the new policy serviced is because Oath was doing this to try sneak pass the privacy regulations in Canada like they were trying to do in the EU.