Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

"One of the benefits you received when you subscribed to the Internet Service is your ability to use your Rogers ID and password to access and subscribe to a broad variety of Yahoo services ("Yahoo Services") across Yahoo's worldwide network."

The only Yahoo service I use is the email services and that's not by choice.  I've long wished Rogers would find another email provided, because of the problems (such as the horrible spam filter we can't turn off) with Yahoo.  So, I'm not getting much in the way of "benefits" from Yahoo.  I'd rather have nothing to do with them.

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

@fof9lwrote:
Very simple solution: I have downloaded all my contacts, and then deleted them from my Rogers account. I now have NO contacts for Oath to steal from. I've also emailed all my contacts who use Rogers email and asked them to do the same, or at least to delete me from their contact list.

There's no more appropriate name for the new service than Oath. I can think of a good few oaths flying around at the moment over this issue.

Maybe it's time for "bye bye Rogers". Of course, that would include TV and phone services as well.

I had already started my move from Rogers/Yahoo email, even before this nonsense came up.  I do not want to have anything to do with Yahoo and this just confirmed it.

LLB
I Plan to Stick Around

The services registered in England and Ireland will be transferred to the US or some other offshore location before the EU rules apply.  Maybe China so we no rights at all 🙂

A problem with using the yahoo web pages to hide privacy terms is that for many of us we never access email through the web unless there are issues with getting roger email downloads.

I use Outlook currently, but also have used other email apps such as Thunderbird.  I have gone on others accounts to their web mail to help solve issues they run into, but never took the time to explore.   Myself, I prefer reading my emails without constant ads.  So I have not read the existing Yahoo T&C's since Rogers transferred email service to them.

I believe that in simple terms Rogers remains our prime contractor and Yahoo is a subcontractor to the prime.  The prime contractor remains responsible for what the subcontractor gets up to and how it affects the clients of the prime contractor.

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

@LLBwrote:
A problem with using the yahoo web pages to hide privacy terms is that for many of us we never access email through the web unless there are issues with getting roger email downloads.

The only reason I use a browser to access mail is because of the screwed up spam filters.  I find far more genuine email is mark as spam than real spam.  Also, marking it not spam in my email app doesn't fix it.  I have to use a browser to mark those messages not spam and then they'll be moved back to my inbox.  Sometimes, even that doesn't stick and I have to do it again.  Also, Yahoo's IMAP servers have pathetic performance, compared to Google's and others I've used.

Bottom line, I'd much rather Rogers find another email provider and dump Yahoo, as Yahoo's mail service is forcing me to move elsewhere.

knowfear
I've Been Around

Before this recent "terms of service" mess, I was reluctant to change email providers; my rogers address was simple, known by family and friends, and I'd had decades to get familiar with it.  Now I'm embarrassed to have my name associated with rogers.  That's a shame, because my experience with their customer service people has been very good recently.  Anyway, I'm looking for an alternative provider.  rogers new terms of service are plain insulting.

marocco
I've Been Here Awhile

'Yahoo email is free, according to Rogers. A customer can choose to use this service or any other email service and it’s not paid for through their Internet subscription with Rogers.' I believe this to be untrue because when my husband and I split up and was setting up a new Rogers internet account I was told that I could not take my 'free' email address with me unless I took my service with me. If it were free it wouldn't matter if I set up a new account, it would follow me. Please explain how the above statement is true.......

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@marocco : The statement can be true. For example, there may be conditions associated with having a "free" e-mail address, such as having Rogers internet service, without there being a charge associated with the free e-mail address itself.  If you don't meet the conditions, you don't get the free e-mail address. 

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

Free or not, it's still Rogers providing it to their customers.  There are differences, such as the custom user interface, that are entirely Rogers.  Since Rogers is a Canadian company, it's responsible for complying with Canadian law.

BTW, this is a great example of why net neutrality is essential.  The Internet is the essential service that a telephone was in the past.

marocco
I've Been Here Awhile

I am still confused as I was keeping my internet services with Rogers just with a different address (therefore the new account) so why couldn't I take my free email address with me? 

LLB
I Plan to Stick Around

Optional is not the same as free.

You have many channels on your cable package and it is your option to watch a channel or not.  Just because you don't watch a channel does not make it free.   You pay for it as part of a package.

Rogers sells packages of services to clients.  Emails and Av s/w are 2 elements of the package.  Remove either one and you decrease the overall value of the package relative to other offerings.   I chose not to use the AV s/w I pay for as part of the package of services I purchased.   It does not mean that Rogers has not priced the cost of providing that service to its clients into the packages being offered and which I purchased.

Marocco's situation clearly demonstrates that the Rogers email she used "for free" was tied to the account and subscriber fees being paid by her ex.   Even though she was setting up a new Rogers internet account the email account Rogers claims belongs to Yahoo and for which the contractual relationship exists solely between Yahoo and Marocco she had no claim to it because it was PART OF a Rogers purchased service package.  This implies no direct relationship between the user and Yahoo.