Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Thank you for explaining this in a much clearer way than I was!
I Plan to Stick Around

Last Saturday I believe, I posted about being able to get into Rogers Homepage without the offensive "OATH" page coming up.  I have been on the web half a dozen times since then and up until now "Oath" is still missing on my Rogers page.

Anyone else having the same experience?

I Plan to Stick Around

@edandannewrote:

Last Saturday I believe, I posted about being able to get into Rogers Homepage without the offensive "OATH" page coming up.  I have been on the web half a dozen times since then and up until now "Oath" is still missing on my Rogers page.

Anyone else having the same experience?

I have never seen it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Go to one of the web based apps such as rogers Yahoo email sign in

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello @edandanne, I have had a similar experience. At first I was getting the message all the time and now it has definitely changed. It seems if I log out completely from all my accounts when I sign in again I get the message. I can bypass it without agreeing so this is what I have been doing for now. Having said that I have now deleted all my contacts (tricky) as well as transferred all my folders to gmail. My Rogers email accounts are now clean except for Rogers messages.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm with you - the whole mess is an exercise in finger pointing designed to confuse us into complying. I looked at the settings, and they're not sufficient to protect us properly.

As for the "optional service" nonsense - email is an expectation of an ISP, not an option. And the email addresses we were given are @rogers.com, so their brand takes the hit. For many people, it's their only email address, where confidential information arrives now that so many organizations are pressuring us to go paperless (eg: e-bills, tax stuff). Do we really want that information mined by anyone, let alone by a foreign company? Rogers execs did not think this through!

BTW, the effective date of the change is May 25 which, interestingly enough, is the day some tough new privacy rules (the GDPR) come into effect in the EU.

As well as complaining to Rogers, be sure to contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.

I Plan to Stick Around

@LLBwrote:

Go to one of the web based apps such as rogers Yahoo email sign in

As I mentioned earlier, I try to avoid Yahoo in general.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ellen Roseman from the Torinto Star has written a half-page article about Rogers and Yahoo/Oath. -- https://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/advice/2018/04/23/customers-shocked-to-find-their-...

I Plan to Stick Around

I sent a comment to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.  If necessary, I will file a complaint.  Rogers should not be violating Canadian law.  If they can't comply with the law, while dealing with Yahoo, then they should move their email service elsewhere.

I've Been Here Awhile

I consider Rogers sale of its customers email accounts and our user data to Oath as a theft of personal information. For now I have installed software to block all/most internet ads (Ad Blocker Plus) and other software to block internet tracking. I have not agreed to the terms of service - I will not allow looting of my contacts list. I cannot agree to messages supposedly "sent on my behalf". 

Otherwise, there must be an ethical Canadian email service that would be glad to have Rogers email clients?