Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

@Zaphod64wrote:

I was reviewing some discussion on the Yahoo message boards about the Oath privacy policy and analyzing of emails and attachments and I saw a comment this week from a Yahoo mail user who said – why are you complaining about the new Oath policy stating they will scan and analyze your email and contents/attachments – the existing Yahoo email policy already has this provision and so you have already agreed to this.

Well, I never agreed to anything from Yahoo.  I was originally an @home user and was forced onto Yahoo by Rogers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The whole issue is that for Canada, and Canada alone, Oath has this special section that permits them to harvest all contact information from anyone we send or receive emails from, because we have to agree that we have obtained everyones permision for them to do so. That is their work around to Canada's spam law. 

In addtion, they are scanning all attachments, and are being upfront about, targeting financial information. So, think about it. If you send or receive anything from your bank, lawyer, real estate agent, etc. that information will be compiled by a US company to profile you and target you. 

BTW - May 25, 2018 is the date of enactment which coincides with the EU's new privacy policy for all their citizens. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@LLB

I agree the big issue going is forward is what other purposes will Oath deem appropriate to use our data for and that we will have to opt-out of (and not opt-in to) that use (if we are even given an opportunity to opt-out at all).  The terms of service and privacy policy can be changed at any time and generally our continued use of services (simply reading and sending emails even if never directly access any Yahoo/Oath program/service or portal) can be deemed acceptance of those terms.

@JKnott

I was an @home user as well - I think I first started using my @rogers.com email in 1995. 

@ATP13

I think the Canada specific Friends and Contacts clause has now been removed out of all of the Oath privacy polices - see my posts from yesterday and earlier today.  If you can still find it in the policy please let me know.

FYI I just received the standard reply email from the Rogers Privacy Office - it directs me to

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/yahoo_terms_of_service_update

I find it strange that they didn't at least address the fact that one of the major concerns raised in my original email to them (and that of others)  - the Canada specific Friends and Contacts provision - has now been removed and therefore addressed.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I, too, received the same form letter. A little surprised it didn't get directed to my Spam folder.

The link provided two answers:

Is  Yahoo scanning or reading my emails?
Like most email providers, automated computer programs scan Yahoo emails for viruses, malware, spam, phishing links, etc. to improve its quality of services.
Is my personal information shared with other companies, like advertisers.
No, your personal information is personal for a reason. It is not shared with third parties.

However I need the answer to one more question:
Is any of the content of my email, after being scanned by Yahoo, retained or shared with third parties?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

A quick note for us old folk and our estate planning:  all Oath accounts are non-transferable, and any rights to them terminate upon the account holder’s death.  A good reason to not use rogers/Oath email accounts for important things if you have a spouse or children.

1. Personal information being shared with other companies.

- not shared with third parties is not the same as not shared with other companies. 

- Oath has many affiliated companies that are not considered third parties.  By example: Huffington Post and Yahoo both fall under the umbrella of Oath.  Corporately they are not "third parties" to each other as structured.  CBC would be a third party to all three organisations.   

- Personal information is not defined completely but Oath does not consider your IP address as personal and shares it freely

By Example: "Your interaction with a widget typically allows the third party to collect some information about you, including IP address, page header information, and browser information. In some cases, the third party may recognize you through its widgets even when you do not interact with the widget but visit a web page or use an app with the widget"

And more broadly: "Oath partners with companies who may offer products or services to you based on the current page content or other criteria. These partners may be in the form of the "Get the Look" bar on celebrity pictures or a sidebar with topical products. Because your browser, app, or device must request the content from the partner's servers, these providers can collect your information, including your IP address, page header information, and browser information"

Personal information appears to be limited to: "personally identifiable information is information like name or email address"  Not listed as personal are items like: street address, postal code, phone number(s), GPS location, 

For more details see: https://policies.oath.com/ca/en/oath/privacy/topics/thirdparties/index.html  as well as How We Share This Information in the privacy statement

As to who is not a third party: Verizon and Trusted Partners.    

• With Verizon. As part of Verizon, Oath and its affiliates may, to the extent permitted by law and consistent with user controls, share information with Verizon and Verizon affiliates. This information will be used consistent with Verizon’s privacy policy.    

With Partners. We may share your information with nonaffiliated companies who are:

• Trusted Partners.  We provide user information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Oath based on our directions and in compliance with appropriate confidentiality measures. Learn more

As to the question: Is any of the content of my email, after being scanned by Yahoo, retained or shared with third parties? The simple answer to both is yes, to some degree

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The simple answer to both is yes, to some degree.

If so, then my next question would be

When Rogers omits to mention this, while reassuring us that emails are merely scanned to detect malware, etc, and that personal information is not shared, are they being intentionally misleading?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Zaphod64wrote:@JKnott

I was an @home user as well - I think I first started using my @rogers.com email in 1995. 

I'm not quite sure what it was when I started with Rogers.  I was definitely on @home though.  I started with Rogers around 1999, IIRC.  As I recall, Rogers had their own servers between when @home failed and they switched to Yahoo.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes and No.

- common terms and definitions are important to ensure beneficial two way communication

- you ask about personal information, which you most likely view as reasonably broad. 

- Rogers and Oath use personal information (as described in the Oath document) as meaning: limited to your name and email address.

- You asked about sharing personal information with other companies with your expectation that you are speaking of Yahoo email services and everyone else

- Verizon/Oath/Yahoo do not consider themselves as "other companies" and specifically not as third parties to each other.

- Rogers essentially answered saying your name and email are not shared with companies outside of the Verizon/Oath group of companies (which is not quite accurate according to the Oath documents). 

Part of the difficulty for Rogers as they try and remain observers/bystanders to their clients dealing with Oath/Yahoo is that they focus mostly on the Yahoo email privacy policy while avoiding other documents like Oath T&C's, Third party relationship details etc.   All inter-relate and touch on different aspects of client data and client personal data.

Verizon/Oath's attempt to rush in new T&C's and Privacy Policies to reflect:

- the purchase by Verizon of various entities,

- the establishment of Oath as an umbrella entity for all Verizon on line entities,

- the need to move patents as well as server data to US locations before EU rules take place

has resulted in what I view as less than a final draft of new policies.

Bouncing back and forth between the T&C's and policies reveal conflicts and contradictions.  I doubt Rogers staff (or lawyers) have fully appreciated the full breadth or the details of the documents.  They do read like a group generated document that has yet to be fully consolodated. 

Rogers knows or should know what users mean when they ask about their personal data and they should respond fully:  "Your personal data, which we define specifically as limited to ...."  

Rogers knows or should know what users mean when they ask about other companies or third parties and they should respond fully: "Personal data is not shared with companies outside the Verizon/Oath group of companies and only with third parties under the following specific and limited conditions and circumstances......"

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to clarify: Those first two questions were not posed by me and answered by Rogers. They are softball questions, posed and answered by Rogers, on the page:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/yahoo_terms_of_service_update

The third question, "Is any of the content of my email retained by Yahoo, or passed on to a third party?" is mine, is unanswered by Rogers, and belongs on that page.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just re-enforcing that I dont work for rogers and have no affiliation with them.  So these opinions are my own.

My understanding on the KEEPing part..  generally, is NO in most of these cases.
At least for the fact of keeping coppies of the WHOLE email.
The content scanners, lets say for advertising.. might scan the email, looking for KEYWORDS.  If any of those keywords match something on the list.. it might keep store that your profile matched that keyword..  but not the whole contents?

EG:  You write "I just repaired 50 laptops"  It might only retain that you said laptop, and give add matches for laptops.

(Again, this is not saying its RIGHT that they keep/do any of this, just an explanation)