Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

@BS

Here is the link to the Friends and Contents section of the Oath Policy. I had to bookmark it as it is not easy to find.

https://policies.oath.com/ca/en/oath/terms/otos/index.html

It is under the section 14 - Region Shortcuts - The Americas - subsection 5 - Canada - clause f - Personal Data of Friends and Contacts.

or it might be easier to simply search for "Personal Data of " and you will find it.

I'm a Regular

Looks like I'm going to have to move my main address away from Yahoo. Too many security concerns. Rogers shouldn't be allowing this.

I've Been Here Awhile

@LLBwrote:

If you are keeping your rogers for specific purposes I recommend downloading an app like thunderbird to use exclusively with rogers email accounts.  Set up thunderbird for your rogers account and remove them from your outlook/MS programs.   Set thunderbird up with no contacts or calendar data except for those absolutely needed.

Could you clarify that a proper Thunderbird set up could avoid the Yahoo! servers and the Oath issue? This link explains that server access set up is for "Rogers Yahoo!," which implies that there is no getting around the Yahoo/Oath access: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/email-setup

Also, even if that works, is it even possible to turn off Yahoo while retaining the Rogers access? I remember years ago that I was surprised to learn my Rogers emails were already out there on the main web (which differs from the deep web). I don't remember giving them consent -- they were just there.

I Plan to Stick Around

It doesn't avoid Oath.  If you have a rogers email you have oath.

Its a suggestion for those wanting to maintain a rogers email account but desire to limit Oath's access to data considered private etc

Sidebar: As an open source organisation Mozilla attempts to use plain language to communicate its policies.  If you read Mozilla's policies and compare to Oath's you get a clear sense that one hopes to make you comprehend its policies while the other's effort (intentionally or through self absorption) obfuscates the aim of its policies.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/thunderbird/#types

I Plan to Stick Around

A concern with the contact list is the inclusion of phone numbers.

The way Oath has their clause written there will exist an implied consent that Oath can call people on your contact list.

The list will be replicated and distributed within all Oath organisations and others with which they have a relationship but do not have control of - a key phrase as it affects responsibility and liability.

The extraction of phone numbers with "consent" to contact means Oath and whoever they provide the list to can ignore Canadian do not call lists.  Individuals will have to tell each organisation separately that they do not want to be contacted.  However once the list is in the "wild" with the inferred consent, terminating it in all its instances will be next to impossible.

I've Been Here Awhile

@LLBwrote:

It doesn't avoid Oath.  If you have a rogers email you have oath.

Its a suggestion for those wanting to maintain a rogers email account but desire to limit Oath's access to data considered private etc

Thanks for that speedy reply! But how would that limit Oath's access? By avoiding the agreement, or are you just thinking in terms or contacts, etc.?

Like others here, I will stop using Rogers email before I accept an agreement like that. I wonder, though, how long before the same kind of thing comes to gmail and hotmail.

I Plan to Stick Around

For those who do go to section 5 they will find a link to "customer support" where you find options to manage your account settings (the link below) which is recommended reading

https://ca.help.yahoo.com/kb/account

I Plan to Stick Around

Unlikely to see any efforts by MS or Google to expand revenues in the near future in the same way Verizon is attempting to expand its client base and revenue streams.

MS is using Windows 10 as its tool to capture user data and explore/expand revenue sources.  Its foray into mobile is still uncertain.  Google is going in the direction of messenger services and quasi O/S overlay.

Just in terms of contacts and the data Thunderbird distributes.

To avoid Oath: no Rogers email accounts and check within the T&C's for the list of all previous and existing apps for some you belong to or signed up for and forgot.  

I've Been Around

When I switched to Rogers after years of abuse from B--- I was told that I could have a number of email accounts which depended on the speed and usage I was buying. This indicated to me that email WAS part of the service I was paying for. According to Samantha Grant the ROGERS email is actually and optional free service provided by Yahoo and by default all Rogers users are bound by the terms of the Yahoo agreement that clearly states that a users agrees that all of their email data can be harvested and they have told those they communicate with that THEIR data will also be harvested by Yahoo. This of course is being done so the Yahoo can get ahead of the problem Mark had a facebook but in the end simply indicates Yahoo and Rogers are in the same criminal ripoff category as Mark.

It seems that yahoo is expecting all users to click "agree" to their terms. Does this mean that I can no longer have my ROGERS email ?? If so my first call will be to 310-BELL to sign up for their INTERNET service. Simple ehhhhh ?? By the way Bell supplies their own email platform and does not rely on a foreign group to do it for them. Kind of shows how small Rogers really is ehhhhh?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

There was a brief mention of this Rogers/Yahoo/Oath email privacy policy matter in an article in the Globe and Mail this morning.  I am hoping this is a positive sign that the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada plans to talk to Rogers about it.  

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-a-seven-step-guide-to-protecting-your-online-data-i...

"Similarly, Globe reporter Christine Dobby recently reported that Rogers Communications Inc. internet users with @rogers.com e-mail addresses (provided by Yahoo, now owned by Oath Inc.) have discovered that agreeing to their terms of service implies consent from your contacts that Oath or a third party can send them messages about its services. The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada said it has received numerous concerned calls about it − and plans to discuss it with Rogers directly."