Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

@LLB

"If you are keeping your rogers for specific purposes I recommend downloading an app like thunderbird to use exclusively with rogers email accounts.  Set up thunderbird for your rogers account and remove them from your outlook/MS programs.   Set thunderbird up with no contacts or calendar data except for those absolutely needed."

That's a very good idea.

Don't have Thunderbird at the moment and I'm going to download it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Oath is also transferring patents out of Ireland and re-hosting data from European servers for NA and other users to servers not covered by EU regulations.   Trump's tax changes actually facilitate the change as moving patents makes revenues derived attributable to US tax law rather than Irish tax.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@LLB

"Oath is also transferring patents out of Ireland and re-hosting data from European servers for NA and other users to servers not covered by EU regulations.   Trump's tax changes actually facilitate the change as moving patents makes revenues derived attributable to US tax law rather than Irish tax."

*EEK* Am not liking the sounds of that!

IMHO Oath is doing things that are underhanded, sneaky and definitely illegal!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

All email programs require permission to ACCESS your contacts, they don't need to monetize your contacts.

All programs also need to read contacts to compare with incoming and "read" incoming email  to guard against spam and viruses but they should stipulate that purpose.  Oath apparently is primarily doing it to monetize.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just using a single email client to access several accounts should not give them access to each other. However, linking the accounts (usually set up through the webmail interface) could. There's a difference.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@LynnGr

"Just using a single email client to access several accounts should not give them access to each other. However, linking the accounts (usually set up through the webmail interface) could. There's a difference."

Am very well of that.

I run my own computer consulting business and a lot of my customers who have Rogers for their email are very alarmed about what's going on with the Oath TOS.

They're not liking it at all.

I've recommended that they wait to click on accepting the Oath TOS for their rogers.com accounts at the moment.

I am hoping that Rogers does the right thing and sever the ties with Oath.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

"There is no additional cost to having this access, and it is your choice whether you choose to use it"

There is a built in cost in our fees to accommodate the contractual agreement between Rogers and Yahoo as well as the cost to administer and maintain the email accounts, protocols and interfaces.

As they say: nothing is free.

The costs are part of Rogers overhead that is embedded in their fee structure.  Whether you use the emails all these costs still exist and must be recovered in fees.  As the embedded costs are likely constant and not directly impacted by use (sending an email requires minimal system effort) the fact is that our internet fees are higher to support the infrastructure of the Rogers - Yahoo agreement.  

As to what that cost is by user it is unlikely we will ever know an honest figure as overhead can be blurred across a number of budget items.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Check permissions and not just in Outlook.

For Outlook to access rogers email you had to provide permissions.

Once Oath has access ....  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I suspect some folks don't differentiate between linking accounts and simply accessing them from the same place, though.

Your customers show great sense. Good call on not clicking acceptance to that offensive ToS! But I'm not holding my breath that Rogers will have an attack of common sense and do something like dumping Oath. After all, they kept Yahoo even after that massive data breach that compromised all of our accounts.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've just set up an email account on my own domain that has absolutely nothing to do with Rogers or Yahoo.