Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bg47
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

I signed up with Proton mail but after reading some FAQ's and Protons answers it appears there is a limitation with folders. The free a/c only offer 3 custom folders. The paid a/c slightly more but certainly not enough and its 4 Euro per month. Proton are apparently working on the issue but until it is fixed I won't be migrating.
SixthScents
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for taking the initiative. This needs to be in every major Canadian TV network, news publications and petition sites. I went in to see my Bank Manager who had no idea but couldn't comment. We need to keep this in the public eye.
BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

The issue has just hit the national news via Globe and Mail

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-rogerss-internet-customers-raise-concerns-over-e-ma...

I have also sent a concern via report a concern and requested clarification on what action Rogers is taking to protect our privacy and that I and it would appear many others will not be continuing with Rogers email under these terms.

I have asked them to make a public statement via their forum, myRogers, twitter and facebook to customers, and to make a public statement.

You can see in the article, that their statement right now is basically a non-statement and Oath contradicts its terms by saying we can opt out, but doesn't mention that our services could be terminated if we don't accept.

I leave it for others to read.  I am sure people will be happy to hear this part of the article:

"In Canada, a federal parliamentary committee launched a hearing on the controversy on Tuesday, with Privacy Commissioner Daniel Therrien as the first witness. His office is also investigating whether the social-media giant has breached Canadian privacy laws."

So it has moved right to the federal level very quickly and is investigating it thoroughly.

Now, if Rogers wanted to be proactive, they could announce that they are aware of the issue, and are very concerned and taking it seriously, and a federal commission is currently looking into the whole issue and the legality in relationship to privacy laws. yadayada yada.

Or are they going to wait for the commission to tell us what Rogers has to say.

I have advised in my concern, that I expect to hear that Rogers is discussing with Oath to modify these terms for their customers, or will be looking at other email solutions, and that I also expect a public statement too.  I know this is a legal mess for them to get caught in, but shall we lump them in with Facebook and wait for government committees to make them responsible before they become responsible.

So, send your concerns to Rogers, then go to CCTC as well.

What a mess, and Rogers privacy staff and lawyers never had to let it get to this level, unless Oath pulled this without telling them what they were going to do.  Could be, there is nothing but silence, so we know absolutely nothing, so we keep the noise loud and for those like me, I move off the email system.

Oh and as to the point about cancelling your email account, I haven't done the final click yet as my wife is still cleaning hers and I have the primary account, but beyond the possibility of our old email address going out to someone else, that is a concern, but also I was reading in Yahoo terms, that it takes up to 40 days to remove any reference to your deleted account, and some information related to searches via their engines are deleted after 6 months, but may remain for up to 18 months.  All the more reason for me to get away from them.

The information is from their links at the bottom of Google Canada home login page you will find terms and privacy terms links.

Bruce

Nettangel
I Plan to Stick Around

Great info, thank you for posting this. I am in the process of changing my email and was not aware Yahoo recycled old addys.

I appreciate it very much, thanks again!

@bg47wrote:

Re deleting Rogers accounts due to privacy issue

I read this on CNET so what I plan to do is import all my emails and contacts to gmail;delete all information from Rogers Yahoo but leave my Rogers accounts active. I am hoping after I export to gmail my mail will no longer be on the Rogers Yahoo server. Can anyone advise on this?

Here is the CNET document which was posted after the Yahoo hacking incident:

Why you shouldn't delete your Yahoo account

In an earlier version of this story, I suggested you simply delete your Yahoo account and move to Gmail, but it appears doing so may open another workaround for hackers. Yahoo recycles old email addresses, which means that 30 days after your account is deleted, someone could open a new account with your old Yahoo email address and potentially use it to gain access to your other accounts. 

After opening an account with the address you vacated, a nefarious individual could impersonate you and fire off password resets requests to get into any of your other online accounts to which you've linked your Yahoo email. 

So, instead of deleting your Yahoo account, I suggest you change your password, turn on two-step verification, disconnect all connected services and move to Gmail while leaving your Yahoo account inactive.

Nettangel
I Plan to Stick Around

@thePhipp It seems to be a form letter as we are all the first to bring it to their attention lol.

I’ve been sending emails to Rogers CEO and all other organizations involved with internet and privacy. So far not a peep, except the Ombudsperson. I also took it to social media in hopes more people will be made aware. 

Nettangel
I Plan to Stick Around

@BS  Thank you for posting the article. Good to know someone in the media is paying attention to this. An investigation is not what Rogers wants I’m sure. Hopefully this fiasco will be resolved soon. 

I will continue working on setting up a new email. My trust in Rogers flew out the window, regardless if they remove the policy with Yahoo. They betrayed loyal customers who counted on them to protect private data. I wish they would just ditch Yahoo entirely!

Davage
I'm Here A Lot

About a year ago I started slowly migrating my emails over to a gmail account.    I had the gmail account configured to automatically forward all incoming emails to my Rogers account.    My plan was to slowly migrate over to an email address that was not tied to any specific internet provider and in the event I needed to make an ISP change, I would have an ISP-neutral email address.   My online accounts (banking/bills) with sensitive had already been set up with gmail accounts, but there were a few odd accounts that still had rogers.com on them.    I took the time this evening to change the email address on the few remaining online accounts to my gmail account.   I think I've got them all changed.

This evening I flipped the automatic forwarding of emails.    All of my rogers.com emails are now automatically being forwarded to my primary gmail account.  I've also used the email web portal to set up a Vacation Auto-Reply on the rogers/yahoo site for the next 10 years that lets anybody who sends an email to my rogers.com email address what my new gmail.com email address is.      Any emails that are sent to my rogers.com email address are automatically forwarded to my gmail account and an auto-reply goes to the sender to inform them of the email address change, along with a little note to let them know that the email they sent today was automatically forwarded to the new address.

Now that I am no longer tied down to a rogers.com email address, there truly is nothing preventing me from changing Internet Providers..   (The thought has crossed my mind..)

rharding0
I Plan to Stick Around

I sent an email to the following people explaining the TOS, (especially 14.5).

Nathaniel Erskine-Smith and Charlie Angus are both Federal MP's on the parliamentary committee that's meeting this week to grill Facebook over their privacy issues. They are both strong privacy advocates. Also included Oath, the CEO of Rogers, Rogers Chief Privacy Officer and Rogers Onbusdman. I doubt very much Rogers will step up and grow a pair, they only seem to do the right thing when forced, but who knows, there's still a month to go before it kicks in so there is lots of time for them to look good by telling Oath to stuff it.

press@oath.com
privacy@rci.rogers.com
ombudsman@rci.rogers.com
joe.natale@rci.rogers.com
Nathaniel.Erskine-Smith@parl.gc.ca
charlie.angus@parl.gc.ca

As for another poster who had a concern about file size of ProtonMail, I ended up getting the paid version, it's $5 per month or $48 per year. 5GB storage, plenty of file folders and you can create up to 5 more email addresses. The free and paid versions both have privacy and no ads, but for the price of a coffee and doughnut, I thought the larger memory and additional email addresses are well worth it.

Spread the word
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Reading the current initial scope of the investigations by the Federal Privacy Commission, it was looking to Googe and Facebook, but I strongly suspect there will be pressure to move this issue into the mix - they do indicate they will be interviewing other organizations, so we do need to keep it forefront and keep the pressure on.

Bruce