Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

ROGERS - why not change the Email service to a better provider?

I understand that part of the partnership was to get away from having your own servers and part was to provide 'value added' content (the old Rogers/Yahoo home screen of many years ago provided customized content sections which were actually useful) which basically disappeared over the years. I wonder how many people actually use the Rogers/Yahoo as a home page? 

The Email service is provided as part of our paid internet services, as opposed to a 'free' email service, thus we expect a certain level of privacy. 

Perhaps you could leverage your market size to strike deals with several email providers and give people the option of using @rogers.com with those providers. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@ATP13wrote:

ROGERS - why not change the Email service to a better provider?

I understand that part of the partnership was to get away from having your own servers and part was to provide 'value added' content (the old Rogers/Yahoo home screen of many years ago provided customized content sections which were actually useful) which basically disappeared over the years. I wonder how many people actually use the Rogers/Yahoo as a home page? 

The Email service is provided as part of our paid internet services, as opposed to a 'free' email service, thus we expect a certain level of privacy. 

@perhaps you could leverage your market size to strike deals with several email providers and give people the option of using @rogers.com with those providers. 

I agree completely. I was a lot happier when my email accounts were on a Rogers in-house server, back in the day, even though the "value-added content" was not as robust. As I noted in a previous post, several years ago after one of the serious yahoo breaches, Rogers made us all implement certain "settings" changes to the way our pop-mail applications accessed our __@rogers.com email inboxes and outboxes, to increase security, and I was told at the time by Rogers tech support that Rogers had decided Yahoo's servers were not secure enough and  Rogers was going to migrate all our mail accounts to Rogers' own servers which would require this more secure access protocol. Either they never went ahead with it, in which case I would like to know why not, ***OR*** if they DID implement it and now the Rogers Yahoo HomePage is simply a gateway passing me back to a Rogers server when I click the "mail" (ie WebMail) button, then it should be fairly easy for Rogers to provide those of us who do not wish to accept Oath's terms with an alternate (internal Rogers) gateway to those email servers.  But is anyone at Rogers actually following this discussion?

ATP13, you make an excellent, -- and fundamentally important -- point:  our ___@rogers.com email services are provided as part of our paid internet services, as opposed to a 'free' email service, thus we have a right to expect a certain level of privacy, AND security of our email contents, attachment contents, contact lists, etc. As I have said earlier, my contract is with Rogers, not Yahoo or Oath. It is both sad and alarming that "free" services like gmail, and soon even the newly cautious Facebook, are providing far better privacy protection, privacy controls,  and customer respect than we're going to get -- as paying customers -- from Rogers on Oath under these new TOS. Rogers needs to take some responsibility here, to fix this...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I sent a query to <privacy@rci.rogers.com> and received an automated message that said in part:

"Rogers' privacy practices are in accordance with all federal and provincial laws and regulations. We are compliant with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and where applicable with the privacy rules established by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)."

Do Yahoo and Verizon give the same assurance? 

Also the automated message said, at the bottom:

"This message is confidential."

Perhaps not for long.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

This is outrageous. Basically, both Oath, Yahoo, AOL and Rogers are legally hacking with Cambridge Analytica and the Russians did on Facebook. This is a complete invasion of global privacy - all for the use of emails! This never would happen in Government Post Office! opening mail and parcels. This is down to privacy laws and we need to contact the Officer of the Privacy Commissioner. This needs to go public now!

https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/report-a-concern/file-a-formal-privacy-complaint/
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes. Agree or stop using. This was confirmed by a Rogers online chat 2 days ago.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just opened two free accounts in 2 minutes. Proton mail looks like a great email provider. Thanks rharding0 for suggesting.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I had the same issue. I cleared my cache restarted my laptop and went in with ca.rogers.yahoo.com and got in no problem. I have now exported all my contacts and am in the process of doing the same with emails to another provider. I have been with Rogers for 37 years!!! I will not be bullied into accepting T & C's that are offensive as well as a clear invasion of my right to privacy.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nettangelwrote:

I wrote to the CEO

Also the Ombudsman

ombudsman@rci.rogers.com

I sent an email to CTV and Rogers contact on this website under internet complaints.

Social media is a good way to spread this around. Twitter, Facebook etc.

Yesterday, I complained formally to the Ombudsman (link above in quoted post) and the office of the President, and to  the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS)  [online at  https://ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form or by email to  response@ccts-cprst.ca ] (see my earlier post, April 18, page 7 above, for more on CCTS)

Today I received a reasonably custom response from the Ombudsman which implies I am the first/only (at that time) person to have contacted them about this. This I found surprising. I really strongly agree with other posters that simply ranting here in this forum will not solve this problem. We  -- lots and lots of us -- really do need to take the time to complain to the Ombudsman, the Privacy commissioner, the news media, and Rogers management, and get deserved exposure to the scary bits of this privacy invasion using social media. It appears there are as yet only a small few hundred people seeing this forum, a very small number that Rogers can easily afford to ignore...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Perhaps it might be possible to do the following (observations anyone?):

keep one of your Rogers email accounts and use it for nothing but Rogers activities.

Delete all contacts from this Rogers email account. 

Delete or transfer all history and records associated with this account.

Use the email on one device if possible.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re deleting Rogers accounts due to privacy issue

I read this on CNET so what I plan to do is import all my emails and contacts to gmail;delete all information from Rogers Yahoo but leave my Rogers accounts active. I am hoping after I export to gmail my mail will no longer be on the Rogers Yahoo server. Can anyone advise on this?

Here is the CNET document which was posted after the Yahoo hacking incident:

Why you shouldn't delete your Yahoo account

In an earlier version of this story, I suggested you simply delete your Yahoo account and move to Gmail, but it appears doing so may open another workaround for hackers. Yahoo recycles old email addresses, which means that 30 days after your account is deleted, someone could open a new account with your old Yahoo email address and potentially use it to gain access to your other accounts. 

After opening an account with the address you vacated, a nefarious individual could impersonate you and fire off password resets requests to get into any of your other online accounts to which you've linked your Yahoo email. 

So, instead of deleting your Yahoo account, I suggest you change your password, turn on two-step verification, disconnect all connected services and move to Gmail while leaving your Yahoo account inactive.