Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

@Nettangel Got the same form letter response from the privacy office. 

@Nettangelwrote:

@ATP13  Thank you for the addy. I sent my letter.

They say they are compliant, really? 

Curious how they will respond.

@ATP13wrote:

Suggest that everyone start to communicate their concerns to privacy@rci.rogers.com

At least we are bringing to Rogers attention. 

Amazing how silent they have been on this issue. the Email of the new TOS was from Yahoo, and not an official peep from Rogers. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That is just so wrong on so many levels, legally or otherwise. Aside from all your friends contact information, (emails, phone numbers, etc), if all your bills are online, you get notified by email when a new bill is available, so if your friends and companies you deal with start getting advertising emails sent to them under your email address, how long before they mark it as spam? These companies have their own TOS, which we agree that we will not send them unsolicited marketing emails. So are we liable for breaking their TOS because Oath sent it to them using our email address? It's a recipie for disaster, could lead to no longer getting bill notifications because the company blacklisted your email address and end up being a cycle of having to create new email addresses every few weeks. By what Oath/Verizon want to do, it's making the Cambridge Analytica and Facebook scandals pale in comparison, in fact Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook has been getting grilled by Congress for doing much less with personal information they were gathering compared to what Oath/Verizon plan on doing.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I also feel this is completely unacceptable. Oath (the new merger of AOL & Yahoo, owned by Verizon and oh-so-American) is basically saying "we will do whatever we want with your personal information, the CONTENTS  of your emails and all your attachments, and all your contacts information, just like Facebook and Cambridge Analytica, and you're going to give us your permission, so you will have no recourse, or else we'll cut off your email".  In 2013/2014 after one of the big security hacks/breaches at Yahoo, Rogers announced they were going to move all ___@rogers.com  email accounts to non-yahoo servers controlled by Rogers, and we were all made to change our pop-mail settings and jump thru a bunch of hoops to facilitate that. What happened to that plan? Why are we now facing this ultimatum from what Yahoo has become? I too have contacted Rogers and got a kiss-off reply. People need to make as much noise as possible about this, in every creative way. Once you accept those terms, you cannot take it back. I am disgusted. I suppose I, too, will have to change email providers, if they don't back off.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Even though I have been a Rogers Internet customer for over a decade, it has been about a decade that I have not used my Rogers email. Only email I get on my Rogers account is spam and the occasional one from Rogers.

Anyone I know and communicate with all use my Gmail account.

I am an exclusive user of Gmail and even have my Gmail setup to check my Rogers email.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@rharding0 - Very good point regarding the on-line bills. So now Oath (Yahoo/Verizon) will have copies of those. What a treasure trove of personal info - account numbers, etc. 

@rharding0wrote:
That is just so wrong on so many levels, legally or otherwise. Aside from all your friends contact information, (emails, phone numbers, etc), if all your bills are online, you get notified by email when a new bill is available, so if your friends and companies ....

Bet Blackberry would be happy to help Rogers with a secure Email set-up...LOL. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My gut feel from my contact with Rogers is that they are going to simply ignore this and hope it goes away unless we the customers convince the media to make it a highly visible and embarrassing news story in the public sphere. The optics of Rogers simply turning a blind eye is simply too embarrassing a storyline for Rogers to continue to ignore, IF  it becomes a public -- and business/financial -- story. We need to bring this to the attention Of CTV, CBC news and national business print media, in large numbers, as many of us as can make time to do so, as that's the only way this will seem important enough to warrant news coverage and that, in turn, is the only way change will happen. I wonder if Facebook and Twitter can help... 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw, the full Oath privacy policy, which includes all of the previously mentioned changes can be found here:

https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/index.html

From that page, some highlights include:

Information You Provide to Us.  We may collect the information that you provide to us, such as:

When you create an account with an Oath Service or brand. (Please note, when your use our Services, we may recognize you or your devices even if you are not signed in to our Services.)  Oath may use device IDs, cookies, and other signals, including information obtained from third parties, to associate accounts and/or devices with you.

When you use our Services to communicate with others or post, upload or store content (such as comments, photos, voice inputs, videos, emails, messaging services and attachments).

Oath analyzes and stores all communications content, including email content from incoming and outgoing mail.  This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and Services.

When you otherwise use our Services, such as title queries, watch history, page views, search queries, view the content we make available or install any Oath software such as plugins.

When you sign up for paid Services, use Services that require your financial information or complete transactions with us or our business partners, we may collect your payment and billing information.

Etc, etc, skipping along:

For Legal and Other Purposes.  We may access, preserve and disclose information to investigate, prevent, or take action in connection with: (i) legal process and legal requests; (ii) enforcement of the Terms; (iii) claims that any content violates the rights of third-parties; (iv) requests for customer service; (v) technical issues; (vi) protecting the rights, property or personal safety of Oath, its users or the public; (vii) establishing or exercising our legal rights or defending against legal claims; or (viii) as otherwise required by law.

This may include responding to lawful governmental requests.  Learn more about how we evaluate and respond to these requests.

New Ownership.  If the ownership or control of all or part of Verizon, Oath or a specific Services changes as a result of a merger, acquisition or sale of assets, we may transfer your information to the new owner.

Etc, etc, skipping along:

Data Processing and Transfers

When you use or interact with any of our Services, you consent to the data processing, sharing, transferring and uses of your information as outlined in this Privacy Policy.  Regardless of the country where you reside, you authorize us to transfer, process, store and use your information in countries other than your own in accordance with this Privacy Policy and to provide you with Services.  Some of these countries may not have the same data protection safeguards as the country where you reside.

So, its a rather interesting document to say the least.  Essentially, for any companies directly involved with Oath, it gives Oath access to anything and everything that you do on the internet, either by examining and storing your email or by obtaining data concerning your internet use from third party companies.  It can do anything and everything with that data including "establishing or exercising our legal rights or defending against legal claims;".  It can also transfer that data in the event of a company sale of parts of Oath or Verizon. 

Its pretty far reaching and makes Facebook and Cambridge Analytica look like chump change. 

One of the big questions from this list of "we own everything" is whether or not Rogers is also turning over records of users internet browsing habits to Oath as well.  All the more reason not to use Rogers DNS, but, if Rogers is syphoning off that data at the CMTS, there isn't much that anyone can do, regardless of what site you're connecting to.

Its very difficult to understand Rogers answer of "don't worry, be happy", "we're compliant".  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Excellent points you have raised. I have real reservations about these terms and I value my privacy enough to take action.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Customers who value privacy can voice their concerns  and raise awareness:
CRTC email response@ccts-cprst.ca 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well Now, just finished up after a 15min call from (I believe it was PR) Rogers regarding the changes  associated with "OATH".

We are getting results ---keep up the pressure. They ARE paying attention to this site and wanted to assure me that as a valued customer, safety and security of MY DATA is foremost in their minds. Reference was made to the fact that somewhere down the line we will not be able to access our mail unless we accept the new policy! I said that I personally have downloaded another e-mail website (Protonmail.com) that was referenced by a post on the group and may well if this matter is not resolved to what we expect, move completely out of Rogers.

I asked why Rogers would not have posted on their website some form of assurance and was advised in retrospect that this should have been done  and WILL  undoubtedly happen shortly.

Summing up, undoubtedly should we not accept the changes as they stand, WE WILL NOT be able to access our Rogers.com mail at some point in the near future. The caller indicated that we could block any offending websites (we all know this) but the biggest threat  is to keep up the pressure through this group, letters to, the Press, MP's TV stations and Government agencies . Money is the name of  the game and should they get a series of account cancellations I think they will review this matter.