Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

@ATP13  Thank you for the addy. I sent my letter.

They say they are compliant, really? 

Curious how they will respond.

@ATP13wrote:

Suggest that everyone start to communicate their concerns to privacy@rci.rogers.com

I Plan to Stick Around

Have got into my Rogers e-mail bypassing the "OATH" request for  acceptance of their new terms of use.

As previously posted earlier this morning, try this:

google - "Internet Explorer mail at rogers"

It will take you to the BING search page

Look for Mail in the rogers page 

I just click this and a YAHOO PAGE shows with mail in the upper R/corner - that takes me either to a sign in page or directly to my Rogers Mail page

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey folks, I discovered an encrypted email program called Proton Mail, based in Switzerland, which works under Swiss privacy laws, (can't get much better than that). Set up by some civil liberties type folk from MIT and based at CERN. They have a free service with limits on storage and a paid service with more storage. Took me 3 minutes to set up. This is what I'll be switching to if Rogers lets Oath/Verizon have their way.
The ironic thing is that if Rogers really cared about customers privacy, they could switch from Yahoo to Proton and we could keep our @rogers email addresses. Check it out at protonmail.com, they have a mobile app that's very easy to navigate as well as a desktop version.
I'm an Enthusiast

Great idea. Tried to call Rogers and even Live Chat is overloaded. Rogers is making huge PR mistake....again.

I've Been Around

I refuse to accept the terms, moving my email (which I've had for years) elsewhere. It's a pain, but this invasion of privacy needs to stop.

I've Been Here Awhile

Breach of Canadian privacy laws.  Foreign conglomerates pirating Canadian  user personal data. 

I just saw this  in my rogers email from OATH.

Short summary of the info:

------------------------------------------------------

Oath notes that it has the right to read your emails, instant messages, posts, photos and even look at your message attachments. And it might share that data with parent company Verizon, too. emails related to your banking and financial transactions appear to be equally in the crosshairs of Oath's ad targeting engine. " you will eventually need to agree to the new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in order to continue to use our services."

When you dig further into Oath's policy about what it might do with your words, photos, and attachments, the company clarifies that it's utilizing automated systems that help the company with security, research and providing targeted ads -- and that those automated systems should strip out personally identifying information before letting any humans look at your data. But there are no explicit guarantees on that. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

"you will eventually need to agree to the new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in order to continue to use our services."

I called rogers and an employee was not aware of the issues concerning the invasion of privacy and they told me my options are just opt out and do not click accept on the waiver,  change provider or get a lawyer . The rogers employee finally said to send an email to the president of rogers a state my issues. 

think twice before hitting that "OK" button

here is the review of the new invasion of privacy policy in an article on Cnet:

https://www.cnet.com/news/yahoo-aol-oath-privacy-policy-verizon-emails-messages/

Oath notes that it has the right to read your emails, instant messages, posts, photos and even look at your message attachments. And it might share that data with parent company Verizon, too.

To be clear, Yahoo's previous privacy policy had already stated that Yahoo "analyzes and stores all communications content, including email content," so the company has previously disclosed that it's been able to scan the contents of your emails, at least. (AOL's legacy privacy policy doesn't say anything like that.)

When you dig further into Oath's policy about what it might do with your words, photos, and attachments, the company clarifies that it's utilizing automated systems that help the company with security, research and providing targeted ads --

and that those automated systems should strip out personally identifying information before letting any humans look at your data. But there are no explicit guarantees on that. 

Notably, Google used to scan its Gmail messages for better ad targeting, though it stopped the practice in June of 2017.

.....emails related to your banking and financial transactions appear to be equally in the crosshairs of Oath's ad targeting engine. 

There appears to be another big change for Yahoo users, too: Oath's previous mutual arbitration clause and class-action waiver has been updated and extended across the company's services to include Yahoo as well. What it means is if you don't like what the company does with your data, you'll have a hard time suing

I Plan to Stick Around

I spoke to the person at my work who is responsible for my company adhereing to the privacy laws, and she said she thinks Rogers is wide open for a violation of PIPEDA, (privacy laws or something). She said there are principles in this PIPEDA Act and even though Rogers email is through a 3rd party, it's still through the @rogers domain name, which is owned by Rogers, so they are still responsible for ensuring personal information is protected and follows our laws, even if it crosses national borders. She said the act has an overriding obligation that any collection, use or disclosure of personal information must only be for purposes that a reasonable person would deem appropriate given the circumstances. So in the case of Oath/Verizon wanting us to agreee to letting them read our emails, pictures, attachments as well as expecting us to be ok with them sending advertising emails to our contacts, using our own email address, is definitely not something a reasonable person would deem appropriate. So I guess Rogers can bury their heads in the sand and pay the negative PR price later, or challenge Oath/Verizon and/or switch @rogers email from Yahoo to an encrypted mail server like ProtonMail. Rogers should do the latter and challenge Oath/Verizon as well as switching to an encrypted mail server. That would make Rogers a hero to their customers, and generate lots of good PR.

I'm an Enthusiast

I just signed up with protonmail.com. I tried changing my contact info on the Rogers website but got error messages saying they're having problems but are looking into it. This is one big mess. 

I Plan to Stick Around

If you read the whole TOS there is a section 14.5 that also includes that they will collect contact information from anyone you send or receive communications and also form your contacts lists and by agreeing to the TOS you are taking responsibility for obtaining those peoples permission. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Trouble logging into Rogers Yahoo email

Having trouble logging into Rogers Yahoo email.    Page comes up about accepting Oath terms before signing in.    Don't know where this Oath comes from.  Been having trouble all day.   Cannot phone Rogers to find out why this is happening.    We enjoy using Rogers email, however there are other email providers, and may move on to them until this situation whatever it is resolved!   Thanks so much.