Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Don't agree - spend a bit of time moving to a new email service and review their terms.

We have the right to say no, and my opinion is that if Rogers is going to go along with Yahoo and Virizon on this one, then we can walk with our feet.

Do not click yes - set the terms away in a folder somewhere for reference and begin to speak up as you have and start pushing Rogers at all levels, hit the media, CRTC, your local MP's, and MPP's under privavcy laws, and keep mentioning the recent incident in the US with Facebook using these same practices.  Basically I see that Verizon is ok with giving access to all our email, texts, messages, pictures, and personal information to 3rd party apps.  They already use the information to insert advertisements into our email stream and their main website pages.

It is a decision by others, but I am as guilty of all of not necessarily paying full attention to the terms, but these terms are not accceptable, and if that means that I can't use Yahoo on Rogers, for me, I already left them a year ago when Rogers chose to say so little about their position on the Yahoo breaches, and their transition in security was completely poorly implemented from day one.

If Rogers can't provide email service through a third party in a safe secure manner it is time they got out of it - oh yeh, they got out of it about a decade ago when they moved from Rogers @home email and other services, onto Yahoo servers. And now, my opinion is that it is not a service that I can trust.

Rogers, you do not have to go along with what Yahoo wants to do, you can force changes for services in Canada, you can put legal issues into the hands of Onario and other provinces you serve in Canada, not under a blankat US State, and do not agree to attempting to restrict and limit legal actions by customers against Yahoo, and yourselves.

Time for all to speak up.

Bruce

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I received an email from Yahoo asking me to agree to new terms.   The terms are alarming.  Some of the key clauses include:

"We’ve updated how we collect and use data. .... This includes:

• Analyzing content and information (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications) when you use our services
  • Linking your activity on third-party sites and apps with information we have about you
  • We’ve joined Verizon. By joining Verizon, Oath and its affiliates may share the information we receive among Verizon. Learn more about Verizon’s privacy practices."

So, in short, they intend to read the CONTENT of emails and my other data, and share it with other organizations.

ROGERS - is there any way to opt out of this, and continue to use Rogers email ?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Received the same E-mail. 

The analyzing content of all communications and linking activity on 3rd party sites and apps is very concerning. Especially as this is a US company that we do not have a direct relationship with. 

So does this mean Oath/Rogers will be tracking all of our online activity as well?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Even worse, if you look up the full terms the following nugget is found in Section 14.5

Personal Data of Friends and Contacts. By using the Services you agree that you have obtained the consent of your friends and contacts to provide their personal information (for example: their email address or telephone number) to Oath or a third party, as applicable, and that Oath or a third party may use your name to send messages on your behalf to make the Services available to your friends and contacts. The Services are not to be used for any form of spam.

So we somehow are to obtain consent of everyone in our email/contacts because that info will be given to OATH and they can send messages on our behalf to them!!!!!!!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Even more troubling is when you read the full terms of service. I especially am concerned about this one found under 14.5:

Personal Data of Friends and Contacts. By using the Services you agree that you have obtained the consent of your friends and contacts to provide their personal information (for example: their email address or telephone number) to Oath or a third party, as applicable, and that Oath or a third party may use your name to send messages on your behalf to make the Services available to your friends and contacts. The Services are not to be used for any form of spam

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@mah4everwrote:

ROGERS - is there any way to opt out of this, and continue to use Rogers email ?

In short, no.

As with any piece of software or service, the TOS are usually an all or nothing thing.  Your choices are: accept the TOS, or not use the service.

"But its a contract!  They can't change it without my consent!". Also, usually buried in the TOS, is a statement like "Company X reserves the right to change the TOS at any time with or without notice.  Your continued use of the service constitutes your agreement to these changes" 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Wow, even if was ok with my own emails being read (which of course I'm not), there is simply no practical way that I could get agreement from all the contacts I have to share their data (eg. their email addresses). 

I'm sure most people would be in the same boat. 

So, it seems Rogers is asking us to agree to terms which most people would be in violation of.

I guess I have will have no choice but to stop using the service, if Rogers is forcing us down this path.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

But can we really opt out. Rogers will only recognize a Rogers email account when conducting business with its customers. If I recall, I can only access MyRogers, this forum, my cell phone apps with my Rogers email account?
I have smart home monitoring for which Rogers will only send alerts and alarm messages to my Rogers email. If I deny the TOS I lose out on the features of a multitude of other Rogers services.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I called Rogers to complain about a $4 increase in my Internet bill about a week ago and was told that this was to cover the overall improvement in service (laugh) A couple of days later this edict from OATH shows up. Great timing eh? Anyway I called Support this morning and really turned up the "volume" the guy was sympathetic, agreed that the timing as outlined above was lousy but this was a Corporate decision.

Sympathetic to my outburst, he suggested the following to bypass the offensive "OATH" stuff :

Google, Internet Explorer, Mail@Rogers.com

When the next screen comes up Select Rogers.com and Mail

Sign in with your email address and p/w.

. , the Rogers Mailboxes page showed up - no sign of "OATH".

Maybe I was just lucky but give it a try.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @ADayInCourt

Incorrect. I have my Gmail account associated with My Rogers account and my Smart Home account as well. So no you can use ur own email account. Doesn't need to be a Rogers one. The Rogers one is given to you from Rogers to use but you don't need to use it as you have many options to use like Gmail or Outlook.

Thats why I tell many to use their Gmail account and not the Rogers email they give you.