Change to Email Terms of Sevice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Change to Email Terms of Sevice

I found out about this, not through any browser, bit an email from Yahoo with numerous buttons thread and accept the new terms of service.
Near the end of the message it stated services will continue but will eventually end unless the news TOS are accepted. I'm hesitant for so many reasons.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just sent this letter below to the Ombudsman and the government lobbying department for Rogers.

I hope all customers will protest. Google tried this and dropped this policy when there was an outrage. 

I have never liked Yahoo and wish Rogers would drop them!

Hello,

I received an email asking me to agree to a new Yahoo policy which would have me give up my privacy and allow Yahoo to scan my emails and photos with a clause that they cannot be sued. This is not a Canadian way of serving customers.
I do not want my information being sold to advertisers and scammers. No one should have access to my emails and feel they can do as they wish with what they gather.  

Why is Rogers associated with this group? Is there anything customers can do to protect themselves?
The hassle of changing my email after all these years would cause some issues but if this policy is allowed, then I and many others will have no choice but to leave Rogers Yahoo services.

I hope Rogers will find another email service that respects its customer’s right to privacy. 

Thank you for your time.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, that's what I was told tonight by Rogers. If I don't agree I can't use Rogers email. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just tried it on my laptop and got the Oath T & C's however if I access with my iphone I don't get the message. Very strange.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wonder if the CRTC (Fed Agency would be interested .
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

pforan@ctv.ca

If enough people forward the email they got from Oath outlining the new terms, to Pat Foran at CTV News, (his email is above), I have no doubt would be more than happy to make it public on his segment on CTV news Toronto, which will also be played on CP24, which means millions of Ontarians will know about it very quickly. He will dig into it and ask questions to Privacy Commissioner and Rogers. Why so happy to do it? CTV is owned by Bell, who is Rogers biggest competitor.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I emailed CTV news but did not have the email for pforan but will resend.

Thanks for posting it, great idea!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Possibly, can’t hurt to send the CRTC a letter too, thanks for the suggestion.

This is a serious issue and I hope people will read the policy and not just click on the agreement without understanding the full implications.

This is a betrayal from Rogers, big time, very dissapointed they are not protecting customers.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I received the same email today and after reading it in detail, I refuse to sign it.  If it means that Rogers will not allow me to use the email, so be it.  I left Rogers Yahoo email last year when the release on the hacks accurred and have never returned. So it doesn't matter to me.

Under the terms, Rogers is acting on behalf of Rogers, but all the terms as written apply to us as users, but we have to work through rogers, we cannot sue, we cannot do class actions, and use agree to binding 3rd party action, in the US, not here in Canada, and so basically American laws apply, not Canadian laws.

Yes, Gmail tried this and backed off (I am a gmail user).

They are basically asking us  in particular to the issue of sharing information on individuals and aggregate to 3rd party applications, as Facebook just got caught with and is now trying to deal with.  You would think that Verizon would be smarter than this, except that they are trying to restrict us from any law suits or actions and permitting them in advance to do what ever they please with our data.

So I have not clicked, agree, my service with them will eventually terminate, but I will be contacting Rogers and terminating them fully.  I belong to one Yahoo group related to family history and will be contacting them to consider moving to another forum/channel that is more respectively of our privacy.

I want to suggest something I found - this site is rating the readabilility and questionabiloity of some terms we click on, like as if we realy understood, or it was presented in a way that we could undertand without a law degree and time.

https://edit.tosdr.org/

This site is supportred by respectible companies in the field of on line and journalistic freedom around the world, and what they are doing is providing information on terms and ranking them based upon our reads and feedback to the site for all of us to see and make our choices.

It is through active education that we can return control of the Internet and understanding of the risks and benefits to us the consumers - we do have rights to our privacy, our personal information,a nd our transactions and seaches and it si time to take that back.  The last year in the US has proven this has gone too far.

So my advice, - is become acive on this one, contact media, contact CRTC, your federal government, your privacy officers in companies you deal with, and provinicial officers, get to know your legal rights, and do read those monster terms, don't just click agree.  You are agreeing that you agree and understand - but do you really undersand.

Keep this going.

Personally, time for Rogers to just dump email from their system - they are not an email provider - they are a transmission system and device seller and really don't belong in this business anymore.

And the fact that Yahoo can push our complaints back to Rogers to deal with when they really have no control over any responses, even more says that they need to get off these email platforms.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Have you notice, not a peep from Rogers from what I have seen.  Come on Rogers, get ahead of this, protect your customers, and true as mentioned above if you don't sign, you won't be able to use the services, but educate on the full disclosure of pros and cons of agreeing and disagreeing and allow us to make informed consent.  It is required in Ontario and Canadian privacy law, but Yahoo is hiding behind one of the States in the US law.

This doesn't mean that Rogers has to agree to those terms and can't review and make them more amenable to their customers and themselves and to be a leader in protecting us, not just the mighty dollar of almagamation and terms written clear for the protection of Virozon, AOL and Yahoo.

Just my opinion.

Evnough pressure and maybe they will cave like Google, although Google is currently still not rated high on that site I found.

They are counting on us to read the terms and provide concersns and good tings about all sites.

Bruce