Cannot SSH to wired server from internal network using XB7

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joebloe2
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Cannot SSH to wired server from internal network using XB7

I am pretty sure it is the XB7 that is causing the issue

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@joebloe2 wrote:

I am pretty sure it is the XB7 that is causing the issue

What kind of server are you running, Windows or UNIX/Linux?  If you are running UNIX/Linux and your server's IP address changed, double-check your sshd_config , specifically the ListenAddress line to ensure that you are not binding to the old IP address.

joebloe2
I Plan to Stick Around

The server's IP address did not change, it is defined as static.  The XB7 shows it as connected with the static IP address.  As I indicated before, the ONLY change is replacing the Hitron with the XB7.  Has to be the behavior or the XB7 that is not allowing it to work.

Don_Ca
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I agree, it is the XB7, but as to how to make it work with this configuration, I am not sure.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@joebloe2 wrote:

The server's IP address did not change, it is defined as static.  The XB7 shows it as connected with the static IP address.  As I indicated before, the ONLY change is replacing the Hitron with the XB7.  Has to be the behavior or the XB7 that is not allowing it to work.

I'm grasping at straws here... is there any chance that this could be DNS-related?  Do you have Protected Browsing enabled in the Ignite WiFi Hub?  That could certainly break DNS lookups and cause all sorts of weird issues.

joebloe2
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure what it is, the XB7 is kind of a black box.  No, I have not enabled protected browsing

joebloe2
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, but I do understand there are alternatives for how to wire things and what they are.  I was really only looking to the forum for a way to make the XB7 work using the network wiring I had with the Hitron.  I would have thought the answer to that would be yes, but apparently not.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@joebloe2 wrote:

Thanks, but I do understand there are alternatives for how to wire things and what they are.  I was really only looking to the forum for a way to make the XB7 work using the network wiring I had with the Hitron.  I would have thought the answer to that would be yes, but apparently not.

Have you tried connecting another device directly to the XB7 via Ethernet to test whether it can connect to the server via SSH over the local LAN, with no other devices in the network path?  If it can, that will at least confirm that the XB7 is not preventing SSH from working.

Without more information, we can't help you.  I can't think of any reason why the XB7 would be preventing your setup from working.  If the XB7 is causing problems, the only way to get that fixed is to obtain a network trace to confirm the problem and send that (or a detailed description of the cause) to Rogers so that they can either fix it themselves (if it's a provisioning issue) or open a ticket with Comcast to get the problem fixed.

joebloe2
I Plan to Stick Around

yes, i have tried connecting other devices to the XB7 with the same result.  Pretty sure the XB7 is not allowing the traffic, for what ever reason - it is the only change.

Ideally, I would be able to trace right from the XB7, but that fails when trying to trace to any of the devices connected to the LAN side of the XB7 (e.g. Xi6-T boxes).  The XB7 is pretty much a black box, providing little in the way of introspection/diagnostics.

Thanks for trying, but at this point I will pursue an alternative solution.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, just successfully logged into an Ethernet-connected test server across my local LAN via SSH.  Also successfully logged into a network device that supports SSH access.  My XB6 did not do anything remotely weird to block the connection.  The XB7 should be functionally equivalent but if Rogers can upgrade my gateway, I would be happy to test with that as well.